EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - November 24, 2018

Emerald

Nov 24, 2018, 8:54:36 AM11/24/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!

1) Clean Up 14-Year Oil Spill or Face $40K Daily Fine, Feds Tell Taylor Energy

https://www.ecowatch.com/taylor-oil-spill-cleanup-gulf-2621075177.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=056b2a84f1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-056b2a84f1-86095421

2) Khanna to Pelosi: Don't Just Create Green New Deal Select Committee, Make Ocasio-Cortez Its Chair
https://www.ecowatch.com/khanna-pelosi-green-new-deal-2620706846.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=8db74395f6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-8db74395f6-86095421

BAYER/MONSANTO
3) South Africa Government Rejects Monsanto’s GMO Triple Stacked Maize
https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/11/15/south-africa-government-rejects-monsantos-gmo-triple-stacked-maize/#.W_kqbKnLdi8

GMOs & GLYPHOSATE & PESTICIDES
4) California recommends restrictions for popular pesticide
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8964619-181/california-recommends-restrictions-for-popular?utm_medium=email&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_term=&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiZGY4NDcwY2ItYzQ4NC00MzYxLTk3MDUtNGUyYTIxYmFmOGQyIn0%3D&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_content=&sba=AAS

5) Hormone-Disrupting Weed Killer Taints Tap Water for Millions in Corn Belt
https://www.ecowatch.com/hormone-disrupting-weed-killer-tap-water-2619721034.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&share_id=4164522&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=EcoWatch
Environmental Working Group: "Our investigation found that nearly 30 million Americans have atrazine in their tap water," said Olga Naidenko, Ph.D., EWG senior science advisor for children's environmental health. "But many may never know, because outdated federal policies allow utilities to test for atrazine before or after the spike."

OIL & GAS
6) Fracking Is Expanding Drastically in the Southwest
https://truthout.org/articles/fracking-is-expanding-drastically-in-the-southwest/

7) Cash Buys Elections—and Continued Fossil Fuel Dominance
https://www.ecowatch.com/cash-buys-elections-and-continued-fossil-fuel-dominance-2619922863.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5f037c2e39-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5f037c2e39-86095421

8) Ban Gas and Diesel Vehicles? Spain Proposes Bill to Address Climate Change

https://www.ecowatch.com/spain-ban-gas-diesel-2619570306.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=373c1f82c8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-373c1f82c8-86095421

Another campaign for 2040 and 2050.  We need these actions now!

ZERO WASTE
9) 'Single-use' named 2018 word of the year
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/07/single-use-named-word-of-the-year-2018-environment-collins-dictionary?CMP=share_btn_tw

WAKE UP CALL

10) Air Quality in California: Devastating Fires Lead to a New Danger
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/us/air-quality-california.html

11) Fine particle air pollution is a public health emergency hiding in plain sight
https://theconversation.com/fine-particle-air-pollution-is-a-public-health-emergency-hiding-in-plain-sight-106030?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitterbutton

12) U.S. Nuclear Fleet’s Dry Docks Threatened by Storms and Rising Seas
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/19112018/military-ships-nuclear-fleet-norfolk-shipyard-climate-change-threat-hurricane-sea-level-rise?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

13) Maps Give Detailed Look at Dramatic Land Use Change Over Two Decades
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/maps-give-detailed-look-at-dramatic-land-use-change-over-two-decades

14) 'The Window of Opportunity for Action Is Almost Closed': UN Report Shows Record Levels of Climate-Changing Gases

https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-greenhouse-gases-2621280964.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=056b2a84f1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-056b2a84f1-86095421

15) Noam Chomsky: The Future of Organized Human Life Is At Risk Thanks to GOP’s Climate Change Denial (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/11/22/noam_chomsky_the_future_of_organized?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=6a22b62c65-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-6a22b62c65-191276697

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

16) Close to Home: A once in a lifetime chance to restore the Eel River
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/8934834-181/close-to-home-a-once?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiZGY4NDcwY2ItYzQ4NC00MzYxLTk3MDUtNGUyYTIxYmFmOGQyIn0%3D&utm_content=&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_term=&utm_medium=email&sba=AAS

17) What Should We Know About Wildfires in California
https://www.ecowatch.com/what-should-we-know-about-wildfires-in-california-2620892113.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=056b2a84f1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-056b2a84f1-86095421

18) As 'Green New Deal' Demand Grows, Democrats Have Choice: Confront and Defeat Fossil Fuel Industry or Take Credit for 'Doomed' Planet
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/11/15/green-new-deal-demand-grows-democrats-have-choice-confront-and-defeat-fossil-fuel

19) Policies of China, Russia and Canada threaten 5C climate change, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/16/climate-change-champions-still-pursuing-devastating-policies-new-study-reveals?CMP=share_btn_tw

20) Climate Change Is the Product of How Capitalism “Values” Nature

https://truthout.org/articles/climate-change-is-the-product-of-how-capitalism-values-nature/

DIRECT ACTIONS
21) Dozens arrested after climate protest blocks five London bridges

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/17/thousands-gather-to-block-london-bridges-in-climate-rebellion

22) Because 'Good Planets Are Hard to Find,' Extinction Rebellion Shuts Down London Bridges to Save Mother Earth
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/11/17/because-good-planets-are-hard-find-extinction-rebellion-shuts-down-central-london

23) 6,000 Climate Activists Block 5 London Bridges, Demand Urgent Action
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-activists-london-2620658243.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e823f1db10-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e823f1db10-86095421

24) In Pictures: Climate change activists hold London bridge protests

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pictures-climate-change-activists-hold-145021821.html

25) 20,000+ Students to UN: Publicize Key Facts to Prevent Global Collapse
https://www.ecowatch.com/students-un-our-future-uncompromised-2619886733.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5f037c2e39-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5f037c2e39-86095421

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
26) Over 15,000 Scientists From 184 Countries Say Going Vegan Will Help Save The Planet

https://www.livekindly.co/scientists-say-going-vegan-help-save-planet/
"According to the Alliance of World Scientists, a group comprised of over 15,000 scientists from over 184 countries, humans need to change their individual consumption and behavior… soon. Among encouraging people to lower their use of fossil fuels and reduce their reproduction rates — because, seriously, the Earth can’t sustain all of us — they urged folks to, essentially, go vegan."

27) World's Largest E-Bike Fleet to Roll Out in Paris Region
https://www.ecowatch.com/paris-electric-bike-2618730834.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a6581d3d58-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a6581d3d58-86095421

28) Could 'Bionic Mushrooms' Be the Future of Renewable Energy?
https://www.ecowatch.com/bionic-mushrooms-renewable-energy-2618702145.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a6581d3d58-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a6581d3d58-86095421

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
29) Indian Cinema Legend Clears Debts of 1,398 Farmers

https://www.ecowatch.com/indian-farmers-debt-bollywood-2621057201.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=99e572d7eb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-99e572d7eb-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Saturday November 24 (the last Saturday every month)

Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
12-1 Free Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

Monday, December 3

Occupy Sonoma County Six Year Birthday!
And kick off to our month-long Winter Break (no meetings or newsletter in December)

Thursday, December 6, 2018, 5 – 8 pm, $30 per person includes dinner and one drink

Annual Holiday Networking Party & Environmental Awards

Sonoma County Conservation Council & Sierra Club Sonoma Group
Sebastopol Grange (co-host), 6000 Sebastopol Ave/Hwy 12

Food, wine, hot cider and music with the New Grange Jam Band

SCCC awards for Leadership in Post-Fire Ecosystem Regeneration to Betty Young and Caitlin Cornwall

Go to Envirocentersoco.org for advance tickets or pay at the door.
Volunteers needed to bake, set up, clean up and drink service. To volunteer or for more information contact 707-544-4582 or w...@sonic.net

Thurs. Dec. 6, 7:00-8:30 PM, $12

Traditional Environmental Knowledge and Climate Change Presentation with Pomo Tribal Elder
Laguna Environmental Center, 900 Sanford Road, Santa Rosa

For more info: (707) 527-9277 or in...@lagunafoundation.org

Monday, February 4, 7-9 PM

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401

Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)

Facilitator for this meeting: Anne Jacopetti
Notetaker: Jory Adamson

Volunteer Opportunities

• We are evaluating our practice of posting event flyers to bulletin boards.  The OSC person who does this drives an old truck so the cost to the environment is even more significant than what we are spending financially to cover Sonoma County's bulletin boards six times a year.  Some of us take flyers to the locations where we already shop.  If everyone did this we could cover the bulletin boards without someone driving around in an old truck.  Can you agree to cover the bulletin boards where you already shop?  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Flyers can always be downloaded from our website.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.