EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - August 28, 2020

Emerald

Aug 28, 2020, 5:09:39 AM8/28/20
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Maryland Community Opts-In to Healthy Lawns Act, Restricting Toxic Pesticide Use on Public and Private Property

LOCAL REPORTS
To Manage Wildfire, California Looks to What Tribes Have Known All Along

Some Good News: Many of Big Basin's Ancient Redwoods Appear to Have Survived

In just a week, wildfires burn 1 million acres in California

Clean energy is not to blame for California blackouts, state agencies tell governor

Evacuees brave heat, pandemic to flee California's lightning-caused firestorms

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Michigan Agrees to Pay $600 Million to Flint Water Crisis Victims

Florida Approves Release of 750 Million GM Mosquitoes amidst Public Outcry
"The Florida Keys Mosquito Control District (FKMCD) approved Tuesday the first-ever U.S. release of genetically modified mosquitoes. Despite public outcry and scientific dispute over the human health and environment risks posed by this field trial, the approval permits the release of 750 million GM mosquitoes over a two-year period in Monroe County, Florida, which may begin in 2021."

FOSSIL FUELS
Mauritius Arrests Captain of Ship Behind Devastating Oil Spill
"While other major oil spills have been worse in terms of total oil released into the environment, this spill was catastrophic because it occurred near two protected marine ecosystems and one wetland of international importance."

U.S. LNG Industry's Business Model Doesn't Work
"In mid-July, Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette signed an order authorizing the export of liquefied natural gas, or LNG, from a proposed $10 billion terminal and gas pipeline project in Oregon. The news release accompanying Brouillette's order hailed the approval as having “profound economic, energy security, and environmental implications, both at home and abroad.”

Mauritians launch rescue to save wildlife from oil spill — Scientific American

Revealed: how the gas industry is waging war against climate action

Oil Companies Wonder If It’s Worth Looking for Oil Anymore

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Atlantic Ocean Holds 10x More Plastic Pollution Than Previously Believed, New Study Finds

What’s in Wildfire Smoke, and How Bad Is It for Your Lungs?

What Happens When Wildfire Smoke Meets Coronavirus? Here’s What Scientists Know

California has the cure for the plastic plague. Let's use it

GREEN NEW DEAL
Sunrise Movement: Dems Must Address Climate Crisis as DNC Drops Pledge to End Fossil Fuel Subsidies (video)
"As soon as he wins president, the seat, he will have to cater to the fossil fuel industry, and he will have to water down many of the proposals that he’s talking about.”

WAKE UP CALL
Up to Half of The World's Oceans Are Already Affected by Climate Change

We Are in Danger Daily: Honduran Afro-Indigenous Garífuna Demand Return of Kidnapped Land Defenders (video)
"At least 212 land and environmental defenders were murdered last year. That’s the highest number since the group Global Witness began gathering data eight years ago, looking at the world. Around 40% of those killed were Indigenous people. Colombia was the deadliest country, with 64 land and environmental defenders killed. Honduras was also high on the list."

Methane Leaks in the Central Valley May Be Worsening COVID-19 Cases
"Volatile organic compounds such as methane from upstream oil and gas operations interact with sunlight and nitrogen oxides to form harmful ground-level ozone. The San Joaquin Valley’s air quality problems will persist if the sources of air pollution are not mitigated. The good news is that if the source is a point source, such as an oil well, identifying exactly where the problem exists is a key first step toward addressing the methane leak. Many of the wells in the region are over 90 years old, and while many continue to pump oil they also emit high amounts of methane into the atmosphere."

Thousands allowed to bypass environmental rules in pandemic
"Thousands of oil and gas operations, government facilities and other sites won permission to stop monitoring for hazardous emissions or otherwise bypass rules intended to protect health and the environment because of the coronavirus outbreak, The Associated Press has found."

Earth has lost 28 trillion tonnes of ice in less than 30 years

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
With Covid comes the opportunity to shift the economy away from fossil fuel

DIRECT ACTIONS
Fridays for Future: Can They Keep the Pressure Up?

"We're Back": Greta Thunberg Kicks Off Third Year of Fridays for Future Protests in Germany After Meeting With Merkel

Meet the environmental activists campaigning to save Nairobi National Park
"Kenyan conservationists are mobilizing to stop luxury development projects inside Nairobi National Park that threaten its abundant wildlife."

Another two years lost to climate inaction, says Greta Thunberg

Community Voices: Be a climate champion
"California’s youth climate activists have been working after school, between jobs, before and during the pandemic to organize support for Assembly Bill 345, a bill that would have established a minimum buffer zone between oil drilling and neighborhoods... When we heard our elected leaders condescendingly dismiss the lived experiences of frontline communities during the hearing, and disregard a body of scientific evidence about the health harms of living near oil and gas wells, we saw environmental racism in action. Democratic state Sens. Ben Hueso, Robert Hertzberg and Anna Caballero joined with Republicans and the oil lobby to turn on the communities they claim to defend when they killed the bill. Their failure to approve even the most modest regulation on oil and gas extraction is further proof that the fossil fuel industry has co-opted our state government."

Extinction Rebellion 'reclaim the streets' with critical mass cycle

Ocean Rebellion: XR offshoot trains sights on cruise industry's climate impact
"A group of Extinction Rebellion (XR) campaigners have turned their focus towards highlighting the degradation of marine ecosystems, sparking a seafaring offshoot of the influential pressure group which aims to target its activitism against the luxury cruise industry."

Environmental Groups Sue Trump Admin to Stop LNG Trains

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Dye-Filled Bacteria Could Replace the Fashion Industry's Dirty Dyeing Habits

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Old Coffee Roastery To Be Reborn As A Net-Zero Carbon Office In London

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
  (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.