EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - March 4, 2021

Emerald

Mar 4, 2021, 6:00:02 AM3/4/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
This California city banned the construction of any new gas stations

Petaluma City Council moves to ban new gas stations

LOCAL REPORTS
Wildfire victim trust sues former PG&E executives for 2017 North Bay fires, 2018 Camp fire

If your kid needs a bike, the wheel deal is on Sebastopol Road

As Fires Worsen, a Mental Health Crisis for Those Battling Them
"A recent research bulletin posted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says that firefighters are more likely than the public to suffer from depression, stress, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder and suicidal thoughts."

Why It’s Hard to Stop Chevron From Polluting the Bay

Keeping trees in the ground where they are already growing is an effective low-tech way to slow climate change

EPA contest seeks ideas for a cheap air cleaner for wildfire season

New grant to allow extended fuel reduction work in Sonoma Valley
You can see right in these photos that the trees they are clearing are alive.  A tree is not "fuel" - it is part of the balance of nature that all life depends on.

Lake Ilsanjo in Trione-Annadel park still low after dam repair

Opponents rally as Novato commission set to review Costco gas station project
"Environmental groups such as the Marin Conservation League, Marin Audubon and 350 Marin say it would come at a cost to the environment at a critical time. They argue the large gas station would clash with the city’s recent emergency climate declaration; promote further use of fossil fuels at a time when the city is working to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions; and put nearby wetland habitat such as the Beverly Ereth Ecological Preserve at risk from potential fuel leaks. “In this context, approving the Costco mega gas station is counterproductive to transitioning to a clean and green economy and taking Novato’s Climate Emergency Resolution seriously.”

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Environmental Group Charges EPA With Ignoring Evidence Of Cancer

FOSSIL FUELS
Chevron Says Flawed Electrical Diagram Triggered Major Flaring Incident
https://www.kqed.org/news/11860389/chevron-says-flawed-electrical-diagram-triggered-major-flaring-incident?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20210222_News_News%20Daily_Newsletter&mc_key=00Q1Y00001xsPQmUAM
"Chevron says an incorrectly labeled electrical diagram caused a power outage at its Richmond refinery last November and led to a series of flaring incidents and the release of more than 100,000 pounds of toxic gases."
PIPELINES
Indigenous Standing Rock Activist Imprisoned for Resisting Grand Jury

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Fracking for Plastics

GREEN NEW DEAL
Fossil Fuel Shock Doctrine: Naomi Klein on Deadly Deregulation & Why Texas Needs the Green New Deal (video)

Forget Ted Cruz, What's Really Missing in Texas Is the Green New Deal

Havana - GREEN NEW DEAL REMIX (video)
https://youtu.be/AZLeUzXQIRs
Featuring Sunrise Bay Area Hub dancers

WAKE UP CALL
The Fight Against Post-Fire Logging on the North Umpqua (video)
"Right now, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is preparing to log thousands of acres of fire-impacted federal public lands along the North Umpqua River. The Archie Creek Salvage Project (aka Archie Creek Post Fire Clearcut Logging Project) poses a threat to our community, our watersheds, and our climate."
This is what post-fire logging looks like.

Burned: Are Trees The New Coal? (video)
https://vimeo.com/286550378

Hummingbirds Harmed by Pesticides Killing Off Bees, Butterflies, and Other Pollinators

Bumblebees are going extinct in a time of ‘climate chaos’

Texas Republicans Ran a 20-Year Experiment. The Results Are In.

Fossil Fuel Apologists Crafted Lies Now Heard on Fox, Blaming Wind Power for Texas Blackouts

How icebergs really melt - and what it could mean for climate change

Carbon offset gold rush is distracting us from climate change

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
"Ecological civilization is based on the consciousness that we are part of the Earth, not her masters, conquerors, or owners."

Transforming to an Ecological Civilization: The Alternative Is Unthinkable
"A society based on natural ecology might seem like a far-off utopia—yet communities everywhere are already creating it. We need to forge a new era for humanity—one that is defined, at its deepest level, by a transformation in the way we make sense of the world, and a concomitant revolution in our values, goals, and collective behavior."

Building Youth Climate Justice Advocacy

How passenger rail is integral to our environmental goals and can help fight climate change
We still need a high-speed rail from SF to LA!

DIRECT ACTIONS
Nigerian farming communities win landmark court ruling against Shell

Environmental Groups Fight Back Against Alberta’s 'Anti-Energy' Inquiry
https://www.desmogblog.com/2021/02/17/environmental-groups-fight-back-against-alberta-anti-energy-inquiry
"An 18-month inquiry led by the province of Alberta into environmental groups opposed to Canadian tar sands is nearing completion, but a Canadian NGO wants the CA$3.5 million inquiry disbanded, alleging that it was improperly established to intimidate opponents of the fossil fuel industry."

"Chris Hedges talks to Eleanor Goldfield about her documentary, Hard Road of Hope, which revisits West Virginia’s long tradition of radicalism and militant unionism, including the famed 1921 armed uprising by 10,000 coal miners who fought the repressive coal owners."
Use the closed captioning for the part with poor audio.
Contains adult language.

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Wolf Tracked Near Yosemite for First Time in 100 Years
"He's another beacon of hope, showing that wolves can return here and flourish as long as they remain legally protected."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.