Yields and Land Use in Agriculture

Kamal Prasad

Apr 22, 2018, 1:51:59 AM4/22/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
"More than three-quarters of our agricultural land is used for the rearing of livestock through a combination of grazing land and land used for animal feed production. Despite being dominant in land allocation for agriculture, meat and dairy products supply only 17 percent of global caloric supply and only 33 percent of global protein supply. In other words, the 11 million square kilometres used for crops supply more calories and protein for the global population than the almost 4-times larger area used for livestock."

The promotion of so-called holistic grazing by some will widen the amount of land used for animal agriculture, which is already the largest occupier by percentage (27) of total available land, the total land area of North and South America combined! This problem will grow worse as developing nations adopt a more western diet, heavy in animal products. It can never be sustainable.

But, we have an opportunity to set better examples for developing nations by adopting plant-based foods over animal foods. Are we going to keep our heads buried in the sand about this issue? With "environmentalists" like these, the world has no need for climate change deniers.