EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 10, 2019

Emerald

Oct 10, 2019, 3:45:25 AM10/10/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
California Rebukes Predatory Wall Street Megabanks With New Public Bank Law

How the Women of Standing Rock Are Building Sovereign Economies
"For Sicangu Lakota water protector Cheryl Angel, Standing Rock helped her define what she stands against: an economy rooted in extraction of resources and exploitation of people and planet. It wasn't until she'd had some distance that the vision of what she stands for came into focus.
"Now I understand that sustainable sovereign economies are needed to replace the system we support with our purchasing power," she said. "Our ancient teachings have all of those economies passed down in traditional families."

Peru to End Palm Oil Driven Deforestation by 2021
There is no such thing as sustainable palm oil.  Check ingredients of packaged baked goods to eliminate this destructive oil.

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
How U.S. Government Conceals Truth About 'Forever Chemicals' and How You Can Help Avoid Exposure
"A handful of multibillion-dollar chemical companies have waged war on our bodies and our environment for nearly 70 years without our knowledge or consent. Although the federal government — tasked with protecting the public and upholding the law — became aware of this chemical assault 20 years ago, it chose to conceal the truth, downplay the threat, and expand the use of a class of chemicals known to endanger the health of present and future generations."

PIPELINES
Wisconsin Lawmakers Seek to Criminalize Environmental Protests
"Senate Bill 386 echoes similar “critical infrastructure protection” model bills pushed out by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the Council of State Governments over the last two years to prevent future protests like the one against the Dakota Access Pipeline."

Wet’suwet’en Land Reclamation
"Over the last decade, the Unist’ot’en clan of the Wet’suwet’en nation have been re-occupying their traditional territories and defending their lands and waters from industry. We caught up with the Gidimt’en and Likht’samisyu clans who have also been building on their respective territories."

GREEN NEW DEAL
Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Will Admit the Problem Is Capitalism Itself
"While proposals for a Green New Deal address environmental as well as anti-recessionary needs, they once again hesitate to go beyond them to propose basic system change. Genuine “realism” would admit those policies’ failures and open the public and professional discussion of capitalism’s recurring recessions to systemic critiques and solutions involving systemic change." by Richard Wolff.

WAKE UP CALL
For Many Reporters Covering Climate, Population Remains the Elephant in the Room

'There's a danger of losing our tenure on this planet' (video)
"James Lovelock is one of the most influential environmental thinkers of our time. Now aged 99, he reflects on the climate change challenge."

Climate change is more than just economics
"Health-care providers are on the front lines. Our patients’ health is impacted by extreme weather events. We know leveraging the potential of new, clean and emerging technologies will demonstrate a transformation of health care in line with sustainable development goals." by Dr. Sandy Buchman, president of the Canadian Medical Association.

[Act Out! 221] (video)
"As ecosystems around the world fall into death spirals and scientists cry out that the point of no return is upon us, a look at our justice systems highlight the pitfalls and fallacies in our thinking."
Warning: May contain adult language

What's the Difference Between Global Warming and Climate Change?

4 Climate Activists Explain Why the Climate-Justice Movement Needs Feminism
"Feminism is an essential part of climate justice because it illuminates how our extractive, dominating relationship with nature stems from patriarchy. Real climate justice demands radically transforming how we, as humans, treat the nonhuman world. It means recognizing how our current system is shaped by patriarchy."

Global Climate Action’s Biggest Obstacle Is US Foreign Policy
"The U.S. ruling class rationalizes its destructive environmental policies as part of its neoliberal ideology, which elevates “the magic of the market” to a quasi-religious article of faith. This shields politics and economics in the United States from any aspect of reality that conflicts with the narrow financial interests of the plutocratic U.S. ruling class and increasingly monopolistic corporations, including a handful of big oil and weapons companies. A soaring stock market (between crashes) makes it seem as though the economy is “booming,” even as it destroys the natural world whose real magic sustains us all." by Medea Benjamin

Greta Thunberg’s enemies are right to be scared. Her new political allies should be too

The '3.5% rule': How a small minority can change the world
John McDonnell announces interest free loans for electric cars

DIRECT ACTIONS
16 Youth Activists File Suit Claiming Climate Crisis Violates Children’s Rights

Why Greenpeace Activists Dangled From a Bridge in Texas — and Face 2 Years in Prison

'Beyond time for action': Australian farmers call for climate change plan
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/beyond-time-for-action-australian-farmers-call-for-climate-change-plan

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Trees could replace air con: buildings around trees are cooler, study by Forestry Commission finds

Battery storage systems at ‘the edge of profitability,’ as German households reach 1GWh of capacity

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
The world's largest offshore wind farm is nearly complete. It can power 1 million homes (video)

Take Action - Get Involved!

October 7-21
International Rebellion
To Governments of the World, we declared a Climate and Ecological Emergency. You did not do enough.
To everybody else, rebel. See you on the streets.

Wednesday October 16, 7 - 9 PM (Every 3rd Wednesday)
350 Sonoma monthly organizing meeting
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

Saturday, October 19, 3-5 PM (third Saturday every month)
Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.sonomasolidarity.org and www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/

Monday, October 21, 7-9 PM (Every 3rd Monday)
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting

OSC will be discussing our Earth Action campaigns and event plans for next year.  Bring your ideas and proposals to this meeting.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Saturday, October 26 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop: Growing Great Garlic in Sonoma County
9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 6 (every first Wednesday) No Dogs
Sonoma County Permaculture Guild Monthly Potluck
Family Friendly & Fun. Swap
seeds/plants, & explore the PSC
Permaculture Skills Center, 2185 Gravenstein Hwy S, Sebastopol 95472
For more info contact: permacultureskillscenter.org or 707-824-0836

Monday, December 9, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
This meeting will be discussing and planning a summit for 2020 to bring together and expand the network

Time will be allocated for all groups to make reports and request help with their campaigns

Facilitator for this meeting: Amanda
Notetaker: Maya

For more info: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)

Volunteer

• Make phone calls from home for 1 hour every other month as follow up to our press releases.

   No skill needed other than a pleasant phone demeanor.

   Even once would be helpful.

• Please post flyers for our September teach-in at the bulletin boards where you already shop.

   Download event flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.

   Let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• Experienced builder to help us build raised bed garden boxes.

• Help delivering them if you have a truck.

• Help editing our teach-in videos.

• We need an email list of bars and restaurants in Sonoma County.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant

Emerald

Oct 10, 2019, 3:50:36 AM10/10/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
My copy of the newsletter didn't send correctly to my email even though it was successfully posted to the listserv.  If you did not receive a copy of the newsletter you can read it on the listserv.  This link might help you get there or you might find it included below.  Let me know if you need any further assistance in reading this week's newsletter.  Don't miss this exciting issue.  Love, Emerald