EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 5, 2017

Emerald

Oct 5, 2017, 6:51:00 AM10/5/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Monsanto exits cotton seeds business in India​
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/agriculture/monsanto-exits-cotton-seeds-business-in-india/articleshow/60415874.cms

2) No more gas or diesel cars in California? State considers ban
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article175740811.html#emlnl=Alerts_Newsletter

How about banning all new gas and diesel cars by 2020 for some real change!  2040 is a long way away.
and
Could California Join China in Banning Gas Guzzlers?
https://www.ecowatch.com/california-electric-cars-2490580457.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

"Falling battery costs will mean electric vehicles will also be cheaper to buy in the U.S. and Europe as soon as 2025," a Bloomberg New Energy Finance said. "Batteries currently account for about half the cost of EVs, and their prices will fall by about 77 percent between 2016 and 2030."

3) What’s Up in Coal Country: Alternative-Energy Jobs
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/business/energy-environment/coal-alternative-energy-jobs.html

4) Study Shows Climate Change Threatens Soil Organisms Essential to Life
http://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2017/09/study-shows-climate-change-threatens-soil-organisms-essential-life/

5) US Court Rules EPA Must Release Details on Enlist Duo’s Harm to Endangered Species
http://sustainablepulse.com/2017/09/30/us-court-rules-epa-must-release-details-on-enlist-duos-harm-to-endangered-species/#.WdM3ejHLdlR
A federal judge has ruled that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) failed to justify withholding more than 140 documents on the harm to protected wildlife, including Whooping Cranes, from the highly toxic pesticide Enlist Duo.

6) Renewables Investment Would Boost Economy, Health for Both U.S. and Developing India
https://www.ecowatch.com/us-india-renewables-2490177008.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f9c2341f7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f9c2341f7-86095421

7) Degraded Tropical Forests Now Release More Carbon Than They Store, New Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/tropical-forests-emissions-2491021980.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f9c2341f7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f9c2341f7-86095421

8) Tyson Poultry Pleads Guilty to Clean Water Act Violations, Fish Deaths in Missouri
https://www.ecowatch.com/tyson-poultry-guilty-2490925659.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f9c2341f7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f9c2341f7-86095421
Tyson Foods has a long history of labor rights violations, toxins in their products, and deplorable treatment of animals.

9) Global Food Crops Also Face Earth's Sixth Great Mass Extinction
https://www.ecowatch.com/food-mass-extinction-2489790982.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7c4d5b43e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7c4d5b43e8-86095421

10) General Motors to Run Ohio, Indiana Factories With 100% Wind Power
https://www.ecowatch.com/general-motors-wind-power-2488410209.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7c4d5b43e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7c4d5b43e8-86095421
and
GM, Ford Announce Major Electric Vehicle Plans

https://www.ecowatch.com/electric-vehicles-gm-ford-2492373706.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0709d49eac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0709d49eac-86095421

11) Sea Turtle Population Rebounding But Many Threats Remain
https://www.ecowatch.com/sea-turtle-threats-2488386688.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7c4d5b43e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7c4d5b43e8-86095421

12) How Two Brothers Convinced the Indonesian Government to Clean Up the World's Most Polluted River
https://www.ecowatch.com/indonesia-worlds-most-polluted-river-2488279793.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7c4d5b43e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7c4d5b43e8-86095421

13) Nestlé, Unilever, P&G Among Worst Offenders for Plastic Pollution in Philippines Beach Audit
https://www.ecowatch.com/plastic-pollution-philippines-beach-audit-2488280848.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7c4d5b43e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7c4d5b43e8-86095421

14) DOE Proposes Outrageous, Massive Coal and Nuclear Bailout
https://www.ecowatch.com/doe-coal-nuclear-bailout-2491308467.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a095ba1c29-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a095ba1c29-86095421

15) Here's How Lakes Could Power the Nation
https://www.ecowatch.com/lakes-evaporation-energy-2490244130.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

16) New Report Predicts Climate Change Could Cost U.S. $360 Billion Per Year
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-costs-2490572146.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

17) Puerto Rico's Power Grid 'Virtually Gone' After Hurricane Maria
https://www.ecowatch.com/puerto-rico-electricity-2490536184.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=65d0a7989f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-65d0a7989f-86095421

18) 2.9 Million Children Are Threatened by Toxic Air Pollution From Oil & Gas Development
https://www.ecowatch.com/children-toxic-air-pollution-2490195294.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

19) Brazil Backs Off Controversial Plan to Open Amazon Forest to Mining
https://www.ecowatch.com/brazil-amazon-mining-2490219108.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

20) World's First Solar-Powered Smartwatch Harvests Both Natural and Artificial Light
https://www.ecowatch.com/first-solar-smartwatch-2490611307.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421
This is wonderful news but not without manufacturing that includes decent labor practices.

21) Battle to Protect 50 Million Forest Acres May Finally Be Won After 16 Years
https://www.ecowatch.com/earthjustice-roadless-rule-2490941377.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=840e4fb373-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-840e4fb373-86095421

22) New Study: Global Warming Limit Can Still Be Achieved
https://www.ecowatch.com/global-warming-limit-2487485077.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0cec016962-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0cec016962-86095421

23) Non-browning apples land in US stores
http://www.fruitnet.com/americafruit/article/173482/non-browning-apples-land-in-us-stores
"Marketed under the Arctic Apples brand, the genetically modified fruit, which is engineered to resist browning when sliced, has already caused quite a stir in the US since being trialed through consumer research and taste tests earlier this year."

24) San Francisco Becomes First Major U.S. City to Sue Fossil Fuel Industry Over Costs of Climate Change
https://www.ecowatch.com/san-francisco-sue-2487934170.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0cec016962-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0cec016962-86095421

25) Washington State Rejects Coal Export Terminal

https://www.ecowatch.com/washington-coal-export-2490151123.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7e20e8c2c4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7e20e8c2c4-86095421

26) EasyJet Plans to Fly Electric Planes Within 10 Years
https://www.ecowatch.com/easyjet-electric-planes-2490546223.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=65d0a7989f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-65d0a7989f-86095421

27) Record Fossil Fuel Divestment Announced by Catholic Church
https://www.ecowatch.com/faith-institutions-divest-2492836438.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b46fdaf7d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b46fdaf7d1-86095421

28)  Scotland Bans Fracking After 'Overwhelming' Public Opposition
https://www.ecowatch.com/scotland-bans-fracking-2492507998.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b46fdaf7d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b46fdaf7d1-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Chase Iron Eyes of the Lakota Law Project will be speaking at Sonoma State University

Mon. Oct. 9, 6:30 PM in Ballroom A (3rd floor of the new student union).
He is still facing felony charges for peacefully seeking to protect the water at Standing Rock

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Monday, October 16, 7-9 PM
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401

This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists
Monday, October 30, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center

Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
This meeting is a follow up to the July 31 summit to make plans and collaborate together.
Join us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2000824843466156

Don't miss Debora Hammond's interview on Women's Spaces Radio about the Climate Change Activists Summit on July 31st.

Her interview runs from the 19 minutes and 20 seconds mark to the 34 minute mark (about 15 minutes).
http://www.womensspaces.com/ArchiveWSKBBF/WSA170807.html

Community Seed Exchange

Sat. Oct. 28 (the last Saturday every month except November and December)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com

Volunteer Opportunities

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.

• Climate Change Literature

We would like to expand our climate change literature. Do you have a handout you recommend or would you would like to help create one?

• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.