EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - November 2, 2017

Emerald

Nov 2, 2017, 8:39:14 AM11/2/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

Extra hugs and love to all of us affected by the fires.  Sonoma County fires finally all went out 100% on Tuesday.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Thousands March on 5th Anniversary of Superstorm Sandy
https://www.ecowatch.com/anniversary-superstorm-sandy-2503358663.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41778089

and
After Sandy, We’re Ignoring the Lessons We Already Learned

https://www.ecowatch.com/after-sandy-ignoring-lessons-2502379520.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

and
Rising Seas May Bring More Superstorms

https://www.ecowatch.com/superstorms-seas-rising-2502302156.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421

2) Greenhouse gas concentrations surge to new record
https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/greenhouse-gas-concentrations-surge-new-record
and
Record surge in atmospheric CO2 seen in 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41778089
"Concentrations of CO2 surged to a record high in 2016, according to the World Meteorological Organization. Last year's increase was 50% higher than the average of the past 10 years. Researchers say a combination of human activities and the El Niño weather phenomenon drove CO2 to a level not seen in 800,000 years. Scientists say this risks making global temperature targets largely unattainable."

3) Head of Puerto Rico Electrical Workers’ Union Demands Corruption Probe of Whitefish Energy Contract (video)

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/30/head_of_puerto_rico_electrical_workers?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=71c733555f-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-71c733555f-191276697

and
Controversy Remains After Cancellation of Whitefish Energy's Puerto Rico Contract

https://www.ecowatch.com/whitefish-contract-cancellation-2503767937.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421

and
Puerto Rico Continues to Suffer Worst Electricity Failure in U.S. History

https://www.ecowatch.com/puerto-rico-electricity-2502376198.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

and
I’m a Librarian in Puerto Rico, and This Is My Hurricane Maria Survival Story

https://www.ecowatch.com/hurricane-maria-survival-story-2502303977.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421

and
Two-Person Company Gets $300 Million Contract to Restore Puerto Rico's Power Grid, Raising Questions

https://www.ecowatch.com/whitefish-puerto-rico-grid-2501263875.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf227e1467-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf227e1467-86095421
"The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority signed a $300 million contract last week with two-year-old Montana-based Whitefish Energy, which employed only two people when Hurricane Maria hit the island last month."

and
Trump-Linked Company Restoring Puerto Rico's Power Grid Feuds With San Juan Mayor

https://www.ecowatch.com/whitefish-san-juan-2501761043.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf227e1467-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf227e1467-86095421

4) Dairy Is Bad for Humans and the Planet: So Why Are Public Schools Required to Offer Milk With Every Meal?
https://www.ecowatch.com/dairy-public-schools-2501298552.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421
"In drought-ravaged California, we should support students who choose to ditch the dairy. Producing just a single gallon of milk requires 880 gallons of water. That's nearly 55 gallons per cup. On top of that, animal agriculture is a leading cause of climate change, emitting more greenhouse gases than all forms of transportation combined."

and
Tyson Foods Linked to Largest Toxic Dead Zone in U.S. History

https://www.ecowatch.com/tyson-foods-toxic-dead-zone-2504305201.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6d40d4d209-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6d40d4d209-86095421
"Industrial-scale agriculture to support America's livestock is the number one source of water pollution in the country."

5) Planned Mega-Dam Threatens Fish Populations and Food Security in Cambodia

https://www.ecowatch.com/cambodia-sambor-dam-2501335128.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421

6) Offshore Oil Drilling May Be Coming to a Coastline Near You
https://www.ecowatch.com/offshore-oil-drilling-coastline-2500150378.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421

7) Organic Imports Continue to Rise Alongside Organic Demand
https://www.ecowatch.com/organic-imports-organic-demand-2501294411.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=193bda8a35-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-193bda8a35-86095421

8) How Climate Change and Wars Are Increasing World Hunger
https://www.ecowatch.com/world-hunger-increasing-2498120564.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

9) Documentary Remembers Standing Rock in Beauty and Catastrophe
https://www.ecowatch.com/documentary-standing-rock-2500718235.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

and
Shameful Congressmen, Industry Bullies Push to Prosecute Environmentalists as 'Terrorists'

https://www.ecowatch.com/greenpeace-environmentalists-terrorists-2501764452.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf227e1467-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf227e1467-86095421

10) 4 Signs to Watch at COP23
https://www.ecowatch.com/cop23-signs-watch-2502350369.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421
"This year's wave of climate-related natural disasters drives home the urgency to move full speed ahead at the 23rd Conference of Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, known informally as COP23."

and
'Up Our Ambition, or Suffer the Consequences': UN Report Urges Immediate Climate Action

https://www.ecowatch.com/un-climate-action-emissions-2504302543.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6d40d4d209-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6d40d4d209-86095421
"The United Nations (UN) Environment program has released its eighth annual Emissions Gap Report, which ominously found that greenhouse gas emissions are set to overshoot the Paris climate deal by about 30 percent."

11) Greenpeace Launches Campaign to Create ‘Largest Protected Area on Earth’

https://www.ecowatch.com/greenpeace-antarctica-sanctuary-2502436090.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421
"Greenpeace has launched a global campaign for an Antarctic sanctuary, covering 1.8 million square kilometers (approximately .7 million square miles) of ocean, to protect whales, penguins and other wildlife."

12) Congresswomen and Environmental Groups Urge Congress to Pass the OFF Act to Combat Climate Change

https://www.ecowatch.com/off-act-congresswomen-2502316531.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421
"Reps. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02), Barbara Lee (CA-13) and Nanette Diaz Barragán (CA-44) joined Food & Water Watch, first responders, non-profit organizations and local government officials to urge Congress to pass H.R. 3671, the OFF Fossil Fuels for a Better Future Act (OFF Act) to transition the U.S. to a 100 percent clean energy economy by 2035."

13) German Utilities Pay Customers to Use Electricity Thanks to Renewables Surplus

https://www.ecowatch.com/germany-wind-surplus-electricity-2502355011.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

Some places are not saying - hey let's use renewable energy by 2050 - some are doing it right now!

and
Corporate Fleets Making the Switch to Electric Vehicles

https://www.ecowatch.com/corporate-fleets-electric-vehicles-2499038220.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf227e1467-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf227e1467-86095421

If these corporations can do this then anyone can.

14) Bill Nye: Trump Administration Will Be 'Last Gasp of the Anti-Science Movement'

https://www.ecowatch.com/bill-nye-trump-2502407698.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d50be229c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d50be229c3-86095421

15) Solar Windows Could Meet Nearly All of America's Electricity Demand
https://www.ecowatch.com/harvesting-invisible-light-solar-power-2501393463.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=24adca7251-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-24adca7251-86095421

16) Arsenic and Other Toxins Found in 80% of Baby Formulas
https://www.ecowatch.com/baby-food-arsenic-toxins-2503915144.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6d40d4d209-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6d40d4d209-86095421

and
Human Exposure to Glyphosate Has Skyrocketed 500% Since Introduction of GMO Crops

https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-exposure-humans-2501317778.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf227e1467-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf227e1467-86095421

17) Greenhouse Gas Concentrations Hit Record High
https://www.ecowatch.com/greenhouse-gas-levels-2503831950.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6d40d4d209-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6d40d4d209-86095421
"Population growth, intensified agricultural practices, increases in land use and deforestation, industrialization and associated energy use from fossil fuel sources have all contributed to increases in concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere since the industrial era, beginning in 1750."

18) Regenerative Agriculture: Our Best Hope of Cooling the Planet

https://www.ecowatch.com/regenerative-agriculture-best-hope-2500852437.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421

19) New Seafood Sustainability Report Ranks 15 Foodservice Companies
https://www.ecowatch.com/greenpeace-seafood-sustainability-2500790261.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421

If you eat seafood check the OSC Shopper's Guide for seafood companies that use more sustainable practices.  All seafood in the Pacific Ocean is at risk of containing cesium-137 from Fukushima including some "Atlantic salmon" that is raised in Oregon.  For better seafood choices consider non-toxic farm-raised fish from Norway, Iceland and Scotland instead of ocean-caught to give the ocean a chance to recover from over-fishing and pollution.  The growing demand for less toxic fish is bringing the price down.

20) World's Biggest Coal Company's Bankruptcy Protects It From Climate Lawsuit, Judge Rules

https://www.ecowatch.com/peabody-climate-lawsuit-2501795235.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421
"Peabody Energy is not responsible for climate impacts incurred before its 2016 bankruptcy filing, a judge ruled this week."

21) Chile Bans Plastic Bags in 100+ Coastal Areas

https://www.ecowatch.com/chile-plastic-ban-2501794220.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e7ab23d5c7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e7ab23d5c7-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Fossil Free California –  Divest CalSTRS/CalPERS from Fossil Fuels

Monday, November 6, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Contact Jane at calstr...@gmail.com for more information and location in Santa Rosa

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock
Saturday, November 11, 3-6:00 PM
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

3-4 pm divestment and public banking
4-6 pm Sonoma Solidarity admin
For more info visit: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/

Zero Waste event
Tuesday, November 14, 7:00-8:30 PM
Sebastopol Grange - 6000 Sebastopol Ave. (Hwy. 12), Sebastopol

Learn about Zero Waste at home, work, school and events. Learn what Sonoma County communities and the State of California are doing to curb climate change, increase recycling, create jobs and move us toward a green economy. Zero Waste Sonoma County and other organizations.
For more info: http://sebastopolgrange.org/calendar-2/

350 Sonoma Co. "Community Conversation” and monthly organizing meeting
Wednesday, November 15, 7-9:00 PM
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

REBUILDING SANTA ROSA FOR RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY. BRING YOUR INTEREST AND EXPERTISE ON GREEN BUILDING PRACTICES.

Facebook: 350 Sonoma, Webpage: 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com.

Monthly meetings on the third Wednesday.

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Monday, November 20, 7-9 PM

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists Meeting
Monday,  January 28​, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center
Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
We all agreed to support the 350 Sonoma Green Rebuild Campaign and we encourage you to attend their next meeting on Nov. 15 to get involved.

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Customize Our Media Spreadsheet
Our media contacts have been updated. This contact info is much easier to use on a spreadsheet. We have a rough version that needs polish. Do you have spreadsheet skills that you can share with us?
• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.

• Climate Change Literature

We would like to expand our climate change literature. Do you have a handout you recommend or would you like to help create one?
• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.