EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - August 17, 2017

Emerald

Aug 17, 2017, 5:54:28 AM8/17/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) A manual for a new era of direct action
https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/manual-new-era-direct-action/

2) Internal EPA Documents Show Scramble For Data On Monsanto’s Roundup Herbicide
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5988dd73e4b030f0e267c6cd

3) A farm shouldn’t be a factory
https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/15/a-farm-shouldnt-be-a-factory/

4) World's Biggest Brands Are Pushing Indonesia's Endangered Elephants to Extinction
https://www.ecowatch.com/palm-oil-elephant-extinction-2471399481.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=96757db8bc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-96757db8bc-86095421
Look for palm oil in your ingredients.  Orangutans are also in serious trouble due to palm oil.  Pepsi, McDonald's, Nestle, Unilever, Kellogg's, Mars, Procter & Gamble and many more, are connected to deforestation through these palm oil traders.  Palm oil can be grown sustainably.

5) GM Moths Shown to Fail Ahead of New York State Release
http://sustainablepulse.com/2017/08/15/gm-moths-shown-to-fail-ahead-of-new-york-state-release/#.WZLePzHLdlR

6) Big Oil Forecast: Entering the Age of Stranded Assets
https://www.ecowatch.com/stranded-assets-2461464857.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6d76ed8b5b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6d76ed8b5b-86095421

7) 8 Ways to Sequester Carbon to Avoid Climate Catastrophe
https://www.ecowatch.com/carbon-sequestration-2461971411.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3184d3cc0e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3184d3cc0e-86095421

8) Melting Greenland Could Raise Sea Levels by 20 Feet
https://www.ecowatch.com/greenland-ice-sheet-2465348674.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=48fd4f46be-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-48fd4f46be-86095421

9) Massive Wind Farm in Oklahoma Set to Become Nation's Largest, Second Biggest in the World
https://www.ecowatch.com/oklahoma-wind-farm-2466156733.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=48fd4f46be-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-48fd4f46be-86095421

10) Rome Faces Water Rationing After Second-Hottest Spring in 200 Years
https://www.ecowatch.com/rome-drought-2466574719.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1a67e0fdfb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1a67e0fdfb-86095421
Italy is having a serious drought.

11) Renewable Energy Booming After a Decade of Progress
https://www.ecowatch.com/clean-energy-revolution-2465855554.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=61825c2c92-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-61825c2c92-86095421

12) Santa Barbara Becomes First California City to Pass Resolution Against Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling
https://www.ecowatch.com/santa-barbara-offshore-drilling-2465777011.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b776f60065-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b776f60065-86095421

13) South Carolina Utility Scraps $14 Billion Nuclear Project
https://www.ecowatch.com/summer-nuclear-station-canceled-2467656474.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3274d15035-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3274d15035-86095421

14) Costa Rica Wants to Become World's First Country to Eliminate Single-Use Plastics
https://www.ecowatch.com/costa-rica-ban-single-use-plastics-2470233949.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=c60e0c5ac8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-c60e0c5ac8-86095421

15) Keystone XL Belongs in the 'Trash Can of History'
https://www.ecowatch.com/keystone-xl-nebraska-hearings-2470551269.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=c60e0c5ac8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-c60e0c5ac8-86095421
and
150+ Tribes Opposing Keystone XL Promise to Stop It in Its Tracks

https://www.ecowatch.com/tribes-oppose-keystone-xl-pipeline-2470671950.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4f2b289792-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4f2b289792-86095421
and
"We're Ready to Stop It Again": KXL Opponents Flood Nebraska's Capitol

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/08/07/were-ready-stop-it-again-kxl-opponents-flood-nebraskas-capitol?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

16) Orlando Becomes 40th City to Commit to 100% Renewable Energy
https://www.ecowatch.com/orlando-renewable-energy-2470947578.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4f2b289792-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4f2b289792-86095421

17) Native Tribes Continue Fight Against Pipelines
https://www.ecowatch.com/native-tribes-pipelines-2471359840.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=99f658551b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-99f658551b-86095421
and in Pennsylvania:
Sunoco Ordered to Temporarily Suspend Drilling on Pipeline Project (video)

https://www.ecowatch.com/mariner-east-2-pipeline-2465757686.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=48fd4f46be-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-48fd4f46be-86095421

18) Interactive Map Shows Every Wind Farm in America
https://www.ecowatch.com/wind-power-map-awea-2471370389.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=95af6fc922-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-95af6fc922-86095421

19) How Absurd! Inconvenient Sequel Doesn't Talk About Animal Agriculture
https://www.ecowatch.com/al-gore-methane-2471033730.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4b9046d4fd-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4b9046d4fd-86095421

20) Penalties Against Polluters Drop 60% Under Trump
https://www.ecowatch.com/epa-civil-penalties-2471446469.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=95af6fc922-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-95af6fc922-86095421

21) It's Official: Nuclear Power Can’t Compete With Renewables
https://www.ecowatch.com/westinghouse-nuclear-2469123144.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0878167ce7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0878167ce7-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved - Join Us Today!

Plastic Free July
Occupy Sonoma County made a fun video called Card Game at the Plastic Free Saloon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEHgHwJiJM

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists
Next meeting: Monday, October 30th at 7 PM, Peace & Justice Center to discuss follow up action plans.

- Don't miss Debora Hammond's interview on Women's Spaces Radio about the Climate Change Activists Summit on July 31st.  Her interview runs from the 19 minutes and 20 seconds mark to the 34 minute mark (about 15 minutes).
http://www.womensspaces.com/ArchiveWSKBBF/WSA170807.html

- Watch for articles about the July 31 summit coming soon in the Sonoma County Gazette, Russian River Times and the Peace Press.

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting:
Monday, September 18, 7-9 PM (OSC is on Summer Break for the month of August)
467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Training For Climate Action by the Center For Climate Protection

Be sure to sign up for a free training on August 17, 24, or 31.

Go here for more information and to register: https://climateprotection.org/basic-training-climate-action/

Metta Center Nonviolence Training: Foundations and Principles

​P​articipants will explore key principles of nonviolence, how it works, and how to apply it in our day to day lives as well as our activism.

Saturday, August 19, 9-11:30 am at the Metta Center for Nonviolence, 205 Keller St. Suite 202D, Petaluma.

Cost: $20. RSVP: Step...@mettacenter.org

http://mettacenter.org/upcoming_events/workshop-foundations-principles-nonviolence/

Volunteer Opportunities:

We are looking for help with video editing
Please let us know if you or someone you know can help with that.
Even once for an hour or two would help.

We are updating our press list during the Summer Break
One or two volunteers will make this easier and go faster.
No special skills needed - just some of your time.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.