EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - March 29, 2018

Emerald

Mar 29, 2018, 5:46:19 AM3/29/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.  Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

​1) Mexico: The Dangers of Industrial Corn and Its Processed Edible Products
https://sustainablepulse.com/2018/03/26/mexico-the-dangers-of-industrial-corn-and-its-processed-edible-products/#.WryJN7jLezZ

2) New Science Shows Bee-Killing Pesticides Are Unnecessary on Most Farms
https://civileats.com/2018/03/28/new-science-shows-bee-killing-pesticides-are-unnecessary-on-most-farms/
We already knew this but now there's a study to prove it.
AND
Study Shows Some Pesticides More Bee-Safe Than Others, But Are Any Pesticides Eco-Friendly?

https://www.ecowatch.com/pesticides-bees-study-2551817572.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6a5cdf001a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6a5cdf001a-86095421

3) A New Golden Age for Big Oil or a Golden Goodbye?
https://www.ecowatch.com/big-oil-divestment-2553608299.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421
AND
Chevron Presents on Climate Science While Oil Companies Move to Dismiss Landmark Case

https://www.ecowatch.com/chevron-lawsuit-california-climate-science-2551250987.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1b0a4dd68d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1b0a4dd68d-86095421
"This was a big week for the suit brought by San Francisco and Oakland against the five largest investor-owned fossil fuel companies for the costs associated with adapting to climate change."

4) Court Halts Illegal Coal Leasing in Powder River Basin
https://www.ecowatch.com/coal-leasing-public-lands-illegal-2553668330.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421

5) Emissions Must Fall By Mid-Century to Meet Paris Temperature Goals, Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/emissions-mid-century-paris-goals-2553640495.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421
AND
Three Outlandish Ideas to Cool the Planet

https://www.ecowatch.com/outlandish-ideas-to-cool-planet-2548497056.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1b0a4dd68d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1b0a4dd68d-86095421

6) Biggest Biodiversity Study in a Decade Finds Current Biodiversity Loss Dangerous for Human Well-Being
https://www.ecowatch.com/biodiversity-human-well-being-2553170130.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421

7) Boston Judge Acquits 13 Pipeline Protesters in Groundbreaking Decision
https://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-protestors-acquitted-boston-2554052139.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421
"A Boston judge on Tuesday sided with 13 climate activists who were arrested for protesting the West Roxbury Mass Lateral Pipeline.
Judge Mary Ann Driscoll of West Roxbury District Court decided it was necessary for the protestors to engage in civil disobedience to block the construction of Spectra Energy's high-pressure fracked gas pipeline and acquitted the activists of civil infractions, according to media reports.
The judge made the decision after hearing each defendant's testimony. They argued the threat of climate change necessitated their civil disobedience."

8) Environmental Groups Sue EPA Over Rule Change That Could Quadruple Toxic Emissions
https://www.ecowatch.com/epa-air-pollution-lawsuit-2554061360.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=11212748ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-11212748ce-86095421
"Seven environmental groups, including the Sierra Club, Ohio Citizen Action, the Environmental Defense Fund, and the Natural Resources Defense Council, sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Monday, The Hill reported."

9) Indigenous communities carry on Berta Cacéres’ work by defending nature and health care in Honduras
https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/berta-caceres-honduras-health-care/

10) Brazilian School Districts Make Historic Switch to 100% Plant-Based Meals
https://www.ecowatch.com/brazil-schools-plant-based-meals-2553155526.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3c90052fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3c90052fb1-86095421
"Four cities in Brazil have pledged to transition all of the meals served at its public school cafeterias to 100 percent plant-based by the end of 2019, with the mission of reducing the cities' environmental footprint (especially water consumption), aiding local produce farmers and fostering humane and healthy eating habits for students."

11) Calling Out Trudeau 'Betrayal,' Water Defenders Mobilize Against Kinder Morgan Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/water-defenders-kinder-morgan-pipeline-2553158626.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3c90052fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3c90052fb1-86095421
Common Dreams: "Indigenous leaders, lawmakers, students and environmentalists took part in a massive day of action that stretched across Canada on Friday to protest the expansion of Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain tar sands pipeline, a project Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said he will "ensure" is completed.
Calling out the prime minister by name, demonstrators hoisted signs and banners proclaiming, "Climate leaders don't build pipelines."

AND
'Kayaktivists' Board Rig Set to Drill Arctic

https://www.ecowatch.com/kayaktivists-norway-greenpeace-arctic-2551296805.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=fa15da46a1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-fa15da46a1-86095421

12) Arctic Sea Ice Hits Second-Lowest Winter Peak on Record

https://www.ecowatch.com/arctic-sea-ice-2018-2553188227.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3c90052fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3c90052fb1-86095421

13) U.S. Asks China to 'Immediately Halt' Ban on Foreign Waste
https://www.ecowatch.com/us-china-foreign-waste-2553215414.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3c90052fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3c90052fb1-86095421

We're gonna have to figure out our own solutions to reducing and recycling our own waste.

14) Pollution From Air Force Keeps Causing Cancer in Tucson, Residents Say
https://www.ecowatch.com/tucson-pollution-air-force-cancer-2553583119.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3c90052fb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3c90052fb1-86095421

15) What Standing Rock Gave the World
https://www.ecowatch.com/what-standing-rock-gave-world-2549906333.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f6a5efae16-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f6a5efae16-86095421

YES! Magazine: "Traditional knowledge has kept us from century to century to be in harmony with Mother Earth," Ibrahim said. "These knowledges will make for all the difference, but we cannot wait years and years, because climate is changing, and it's impacting the Earth."

16) Volunteers Plant 67,500 Trees in Portuguese Forest Devastated by Wildfires
https://www.ecowatch.com/portugal-wildfires-trees-2553090790.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f6a5efae16-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f6a5efae16-86095421

17) The Grapes of Trash
https://www.ecowatch.com/grapes-of-trash-2550354218.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6a5cdf001a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6a5cdf001a-86095421

Nexus Media: "Winemakers create a lot of waste when they produce all that vino, most of it in seeds, stalks and skins.
Known as pomace, it can contaminate soil and water
with pesticide and fertilizer residues when disposed. Pomace also clogs landfills, attracting flies and other pests while releasing carbon pollution during decomposition. Solid waste landfills, in fact, are the greatest source of methane gas in the U.S., a major contributor to climate change.
Yet grape pomace also contains powerful substances that potentially could improve human health when added to foods, cosmetics and medicine, once harmful pollutants are removed, according to scientists. Making use of the material would also cut waste and limit carbon pollution."

18) Norway Aims for Electric Planes to Help Slow Climate Change
https://www.ecowatch.com/norway-electric-planes-2551833011.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6a5cdf001a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6a5cdf001a-86095421

Norway is aiming for all electric airlines by 2040.  They already have the highest per capita electric cars in the world.

19) From 'Sea to Shining Sea,' Industrial Ag Fouls America's Waterways
https://www.ecowatch.com/industrial-agriculture-water-pollution-2551396477.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=fa15da46a1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-fa15da46a1-86095421

Common Dreams: "A citizen-led group in Nebraska is fighting Costco's plan to build a huge chicken factory farm operation that residents in nearby cities say would pollute their drinking water."

20) Pipeline Leaks 42,000 Gallons Into Indiana Stream
https://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-leaks-indiana-stream-2551737931.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=fa15da46a1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-fa15da46a1-86095421

21) EU Approves Controversial Bayer-Monsanto Merger
https://www.ecowatch.com/bayer-monsanto-merger-2550813842.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1b0a4dd68d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1b0a4dd68d-86095421

22) A Tale of Two Cities: How San Francisco and Burlington Are Shaping America's Low-Carbon Future
https://www.ecowatch.com/san-francisco-burlington-renewable-energy-2549827179.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1b0a4dd68d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1b0a4dd68d-86095421

AlterNet: "Last year, municipal leaders took the bold move to become the first American city to mandate solar roofs on most new construction. Under the legislation, all new buildings under 10 stories must have solar PV or solar thermal panels installed on at least 15 percent of their roof space. Consequently, the city now boasts more than 15-MW of solar PV.
With an electricity mix of 34 percent renewable energy, San Francisco still has a long way to go to reach its ambitious target of 100 percent by 2030. But the wheels are clearly in motion to scale-up solar power, with the city serving as a shining example of the power of solar.
Unsubsidized renewables were the cheapest source of electricity in 30 countries last year according to the World Economic Forum. With renewables predicted to be consistently more cost effective than fossil fuels globally by 2020, the rate at which cities around the world follow San Francisco's lead is likely to pick up pace."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. March 31 (the last Saturday every month)

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

9-10:30 Optional Work Party

11-12 Growing Grains

9-12 Seed Library

Monday April 2
​ ​
at 6:30 PM
350 Sonoma’s Zero Waste Action Group

Email 350Sono...@gmail.com for
​Sebastopol ​
location.

Friday April 13
SRJC’s We the Future Social Justice Conference

SRJC Petaluma Campus
For more info:​​ https://wethefuture.santarosa.edu/we-future-social-justice-conference

Saturday, April 14​, 2-5 PM

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock Meeting

1:00-3:00 pm Divestment & Public Banking
3:00-5:00 Main Meeting
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.solidarity@gmail.com

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Monday, April 16, 7-9 PM

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Wednesday, April 18th 7pm
​350 Sonoma
Peace & Justice Center​

Ongoing subgroups, Regenerative Agriculture, Zero Waste, Legislative Action.
For more info
​ go to​
Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com.

April 21

Earth Day Creek Cleanup in Windsor - the 1st ever!

B-Rad Foundation, Russian Riverkeeper, & Clean River Alliance

For more information contact rrke...@sonic.net

Monday, April 30 ​, 7-9 PM,

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network Meeting - SoCo CAN!
Peace & Justice Center

Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
Join the new Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCAN.

Thursday, May 10

2nd Annual ​Sonoma County Zero Waste Symposium
Zero Waste Sonoma is making great strides in reducing waste across Sonoma County through reducing, composting, reusing, and recycling.K​ick off Zero Waste Week (May 6 - 12)
For more info go to: https://zerowastesonoma.org/

Saturday, July 14

Healdsburg River Palooza at Veteran's Memorial Beach

B-Rad Foundation, Russian Riverkeeper, & Clean River Alliance

For more information contact rrke...@sonic.net or Sign up here.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.  We especially need help covering Healdsburg, Sonoma, Guerneville, Cotati and Rohnert Park.

• Video editing help is always needed - even one hour would help

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

Can you help us upload some video clips to our Youtube page?

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)

http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.