Fwd: The votes are in - the work continues

1 view

Emerald

Nov 12, 2018, 5:28:45 AM11/12/18
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com

Climate Disobedience Center

The election is over. Many of us worked tirelessly to elect good candidates and pass ballot measures, which is important work. But, waking up Wednesday we were where we have been for a decade now on climate: that the political system in the U.S. is unconscious of the calamity we are embarked upon. We may have voted and organized around the election, but we all know that the fundamental change we need is going to come through a transformational social movement that goes deeper and beyond politics. No one in the political class is going to save us: the only hope we have is through grassroots movements and social resistance that changes the landscape on which politics operates. Indeed, this is the only place that change has ever come from. And to build that, creative action that disrupts the status quo is needed. Now.

Are you ready to disrupt the status quo? Are you hungering for a team that grieves the gravity of the reality we are in, and is ready to act appropriately? Do you want to build the bonds of love and trust that make risk taking a joy of community rather than an isolating experience? Are you ready to lead?

If so, we invite you to consider being part of a climate disobedience praxis group. We're ready to support a cohort of new climate disobedience practitioners to join together, study, act, experiment, grow and learn. Ready to find out more?

We know that small creative groups working together to bring the climate conflict into the public imagination is not the only thing that's needed to move toward change, but we are sure it's part of the mix. If you are someone who also knows that climate disobedience is indispensable to building a powerful movement, we hope you'll consider joining us.

Welcome Emma!

Emma_headshot.PNG

In 2018 we have been expanding our reach, and we are scaling up. There is a lot of work to do. As part of that new energy, we are excited to announce that Emma Schoenberg is joining the Climate Disobedience Center as our newest Fellow. Emma is a Vermont-born community organizer and trainer, who got her start during Occupy Wall Street in 2011. Emma is bringing her considerable organizing skills, including in direct action and civil disobedience, facilitation and campaigns, to work with the core team - the three of us. Together we are building a more disciplined, focused, and effective Climate Disobedience Center to support and nurture the movement we need. Hurray!

We're grateful to be on your team, and hope to hear from you about starting a praxis group in your area.

-Jay, Marla and Tim
The Climate Disobedience Center Team

PS - An ally and academic that we've been in conversation with for some time is writing a book about climate and reproductive choices and is asking for folks to fill out a survey. We found the survey a valuable experience for reflection, and you may find it a opportunity for grounding in deeper reality after the hubbub of an election week. For every person that fills out the survey, you can choose to have $20 donated to the Climate Disobedience Center! So help us out, fill out a survey! CLICK HERE

Climate Disobedience Center · 117 Sunnyside Ave, Arlington, Massachusetts 02474-3822, United States
This email was sent to eme...@occupysonomacounty.org. To stop receiving emails, click here.
You can also keep up with Climate Disobedience Center on Twitter or Facebook.