EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 13, 2017 (Mostly good news this time!)

Emerald

Oct 13, 2017, 7:53:30 AM10/13/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign

Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Flood Risk Increasing for Atlantic Coast Cities
https://www.ecowatch.com/flooding-atlantic-cities-2489373849.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0709d49eac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0709d49eac-86095421

2) New Study Finds Methane Emissions From Cows 11% Higher
https://www.ecowatch.com/methane-emissions-livestock-2492002166.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0709d49eac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0709d49eac-86095421

3) World Can Meet Growing Food Demands and Limit Warming to 1.5°C, Study Says
https://www.ecowatch.com/food-production-emissions-2492020652.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0709d49eac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0709d49eac-86095421

4) Solar Technology Hits Historic 'New Era'(video)
https://www.ecowatch.com/solar-energy-capacity-2492833281.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b46fdaf7d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b46fdaf7d1-86095421

5) Zipcar is Santa Rosa
http://www.zipcar.com/northbayexpansion?utm_source=collateral&utm_medium=offline_local&utm_campaign=sfo_con_santarosa_081617

6) Just Label It News Roundup
http://www.justlabelit.org/news-roundup-october-5/
"The French government intends to vote against reauthorization of glyphosate use in the EU."

7) Join The First Ever Glyphosate Biobank (video)
https://vimeo.com/236206538

8) Barred From Testifying for 'Valve Turners,' Renowned Climate Scientist Speaks Out
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/10/05/barred-testifying-valve-turners-renowned-climate-scientist-speaks-out?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

A judge in North Dakota has barred climate change scientist Dr. James Hansen and other experts from testifying in the landmark trial of Michael Foster, one of the 11 climate activists who temporarily halted the flow of tar sands bitumen from Canada into the U.S.

9)
Sonoma County cuts tourism bureau budget, shifts funds to emergency services
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7486789-181/sonoma-county-cuts-tourism-bureau?artslide=0
This happened before the fires.

10) As Deadly Wildfires Rage in California, a Look at How Global Warming Fuels Decades of Forest Fires (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/11/as_deadly_wildfires_rage_in_california?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=6858528428-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-6858528428-191276697

11) Glyphosate Found in All 5 Major Orange Juice Brands
http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/all_top_5_orange_juice_brands_positive_for_weedkiller?utm_campaign=gly_in_oj&utm_medium=email&utm_source=yesmaam

12) Sunoco Pipeline Spills Drilling Fluid Three Times in Same Area
https://www.ecowatch.com/sunoco-pipeline-spill-2495544214.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=57eed89aca-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-57eed89aca-86095421
In July, a judge ordered Sunoco to temporarily halt horizontal directional drilling for installation of its Mariner East 2 pipeline, siding with environmental groups that the process caused dozens of drilling fluid spills. The order expired Aug. 7.

13) New Mexico's Largest Utility Will Stop Burning Coal, Despite Trump's Clean Power Plan Rollback
https://www.ecowatch.com/new-mexico-utility-coal-2495577740.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=57eed89aca-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-57eed89aca-86095421

14) Bloomberg Donates $64 Million to Shut Down Coal Power Plants
https://www.ecowatch.com/bloomberg-coal-sierra-club-2495882707.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=57eed89aca-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-57eed89aca-86095421

15) Ben & Jerry’s to Launch Glyphosate-Free Ice-Cream after Tests Find Traces of Weedkiller
http://sustainablepulse.com/2017/10/09/ben-jerrys-to-launch-glyphosate-free-ice-cream-after-tests-find-traces-of-weedkiller/#.WeCV-jHLdlR

16) Food and Water Security and the Climate Crisis: What You Need to Know
https://www.ecowatch.com/food-water-climate-crisis-2493717359.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6f3f919ab1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6f3f919ab1-86095421

17) Poll Shows Most Americans Want Government Action on Climate Change, but There’s a Catch
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-policy-polling-2493266686.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6f3f919ab1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6f3f919ab1-86095421

18) Copenhagen Mayor Wants to Phase Out Diesel Cars: 'It's Not a Human Right to Pollute the Air for Others'
https://www.ecowatch.com/copenhagen-mayor-diesel-2495200972.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=da472b9a42-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-da472b9a42-86095421
"Car ownership is declining in the famously bike-friendly city. Last November, bicycles actually outnumbered cars."

19) EU to Livestream Public Hearing on Monsanto Papers
https://www.ecowatch.com/eu-monsanto-hearing-2495162535.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=da472b9a42-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-da472b9a42-86095421
"Without much fanfare on this side of the Atlantic, the European Union is actively and effectively pushing back on one of the biggest bullies in the corporate sandbox, Monsanto."

20) France’s Largest Bank Cuts Ties With Dirty Energy Companies
https://www.ecowatch.com/bnp-paribas-sustainability-2495513148.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=da472b9a42-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-da472b9a42-86095421
"BNP Paribas announced Wednesday that it would no longer do business with shale and tar sands companies, as part of a larger set of climate commitments."

21) Supreme Court Rejects Appeal by Coal CEO Convicted for Mining Disaster
https://www.ecowatch.com/massey-blankenship-conviction-2495538260.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=da472b9a42-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-da472b9a42-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Earth Action Campaign meeting on Monday may be canceled (due to fire evacuations)
Check our website calendar that day for confirmation or stay tuned here

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists
(this meeting will proceed as planned)
Monday, October 30, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center
Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
This meeting is a follow up to the July 31 summit to make plans and collaborate together.
Join us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2000824843466156

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. Oct. 28 (the last Saturday every month except November and December)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communitys...@gmail.com

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com

Volunteer Opportunities

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.

• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

• Would you like to join our writing team?
OSC issues press releases, public service announcements, and publishes articles frequently.  We would issue even more with more people on this team.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.