Fwd: Hello from Extinction Rebellion Global Support

Emerald

Apr 16, 2020, 8:11:56 AM4/16/20
to Earth Action Campaign

Words from the Global team. Covering funding, C19 crisis and how we are all working together to image a better world.
XR-logo-4col-Black-Linear

Hello rebels,

XR Global Support here! We hope this message finds you well during these troubling times. We’re writing today to formally introduce ourselves and share what we have been working on as the COVID-19 crisis has unfolded.

Extinction Rebellion is a decentralized network of over 1100 groups in over 60 countries. For over a year, Global Support has served as the movement’s guidance body. Our 75+ person team, hailing from around the world, facilitates international efforts and provides resources to XR groups—including trainings, conflict resilience support, media, tech infrastructure, and seed funding. Our donations are transparently distributed to XR groups across the world, especially new groups and groups in countries where fundraising is challenging.

We live in unsettled times. Naturally, the past few weeks, we’ve been grappling with the question: Where does the XR movement go from here, and what role does Global Support play?

(XR now has over 1100 groups in more than 60 countries!)

We have been heartened to see XR groups around the world meet the immense challenges posed by COVID-19 with compassion, creativity, and mutual aid. For example, some groups in countries like The Gambia and Kenya have launched hand sanitizer and mask distribution programs. Other groups, for example in Germany, are working on setting up mutual aid funds. Meanwhile, XR UK has launched AloneTogether, a regenerative care program that includes a packed schedule of online events centred around wellness, virtual community, and digital organising.

At the same time, in Global Support, we're working hard to understand how XR groups around the world plan to respond given their diverse local contexts and needs. With this information, Global Support can start to provide resources and funding and help facilitate global action centering around regeneration, resilience, and continued rebellion. We are also launching Love & Rage in Times of Corona, a coordinated global media campaign to showcase the activities of XR rebels as they reimagine a better world.

(Left: hand sanitation acquired and distributed by XR Gambia; right: a rebel from XR Kenya gets ready to provide resources to local community members.)

The immediate COVID-19 crisis and the still-urgent climate and ecological crisis are intertwined. We are seeing how drastically governments can and will respond to existential crisis scenarios, and as system after system becomes destabilized, rebuilding and realignment will have to happen. As that work happens, XR has an amazing opportunity to demand a greener and more just world.

We at Global Support will do all that we can to continue supporting the movement and providing resources that address both immediate COVID-19 response work and longer term rebellion strategies. If you want more information on Global Support or to get in touch with us, check out this info sheet.

This is a time to remember what we are rebelling for: a healthier, more resilient world that can weather crises, foster cooperation, and look after each other on a global scale. From the bottom of our hearts, we are wishing safety for you and yours during this time—we are all crew. 💚

If you have any questions or queries, please get in touch at: proj...@rebellion.global

With love & rage -

XR Global Support

Image by: Charlotte Götze, www.charlottegoetze.de

Walter Alter

Apr 16, 2020, 12:41:34 PM4/16/20
to Emerald, Earth Action Campaign
We might do well to prepare for a slow descent into the next Dark Age.   Or we can balance the suffering caused by covid against the suffering caused by the collapse of civilization.  Some of us are chill with the collapse of civilization.  Eco-nihilist "deep ecologists".  That's because it is an abstraction, an idea, and ideas flit about the mind like they had no gravity, no sense of pain, no real meaning.  You wanted the hard rain, you got the hard rain.  Been nice knowing you.  Or we can reopen business, enforce wearing of mask and other procedures and live with the toll of the disease.  The toll from the collapse of the social infrastructure will be nasty beyond belief.  Might as well ask for WWIII nuclear holocaust or an asteroid impact.  Which toll sounds most rational to you, Armageddon or back to the job site?  You wanna be a rebel, here's your chance.

www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Walter Alter
Artist - Heretic - Savant
http://walteralter.com

Roy Smith

Apr 17, 2020, 1:32:19 PM4/17/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Walter, I fully agree that we need to be focusing on descent, or de-growth.

We missed the opportunity for a Green Economy when Reagan dismantled the solar panels president Carter installed on the White house, and we missed the opportunity to avoid catastrophic climate chaos when we ignored James Hanson's reports in 1989.  However, there is no place for nihilism, and civilization (while based on constructs) is not simply an abstraction.  We can look to failed states today and in the past and see that civilization's collapse leads to very real suffering:  Famine, cholera, violence, suppression, and war.  While the challenges are immense, we have many options and actions available to reduce suffering as we move forward.

Despair and false optimism are both unhelpful and unnecessary.  There is vital work for all of us now and moving forward.  This is a time for stepping up, and a big part of that is to first identify the problem.  If the problem is the source of our energy, we will seek to change that.  If the problem is over-occupation of a finite planet, we will retreat and allow it to recover.

And yes, we are in a predicament.  There is no easy out, no return to the expansion of the past.  But there is always hope, joy, love, and a vital role for all of us.  Perhaps more so now than during the period of growth that brought us here.
  - Roy

Thomas Ells

Apr 17, 2020, 4:56:52 PM4/17/20
to Roy Smith, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Dear Campaigners,
Economics is like a big elastic (rubber) band.
The "Possibilities Frontier" is expanded by force, whether pulling from the outside or inertial (centrifugal).
When not held out to it's fullest extent, by the countervailing demand forces against the bands, it collapses back.
We are entering this collapse now, and the question is, what shall be the demand that substitutes for the consumerism destroying the environment and people's life spirit.
John Maynard Keynes said, "you cannot push on a rope" of economic demand, and more so,
'you cannot push on a series of rubber bands'.
It is necessary to pull on the rubber bands.
What shall be the pull, the demand, which is critical to prevent the collapse of civilization.

Because to save the planet (One Planet) we need to stabilize the population, reduce over consumption, and protect the climate & species diversity while preventing their destruction.

Just to stabilize the population means, someone must die for every child to be born, even if that is not a specific person, it must be a 1:1 correlation. To extend life further for everyone risks everything, and to what purpose is that extension, "more consumption"?
If it is important to leave (livre) a legacy, write a book! to communicate with your descendants.

Protecting climate and species is a separate function from preventing their destruction: protecting is like watering, tilling and fencing, preventing is dealing with airplane emissions, GMO pollen contamination, others' pesticide use.

Reduce over consumption: here's the challenge,
because this is personal, visceral. The tighter the competition and the smaller the profit margin, the more production required to elicit a fixed sum, covering your fixed costs, or creating a gross profit, etc. More, MOre, MORE!

Longevity and ease are laudable, to a degree.
But, again, too what purpose? What is the purpose of this life we have been GIVEN?
More, MOre, MORE! How much more?

If each life is precious?, which it is, do we live it that way? taking every moment as precious?

I think of the Native thinking, of 7 generations,
of our relationship to spirit, to origin, ontologically, to telos. This isn't ethereal, this isn't vast or complicated, just cut out all plastic.
STOP PLASTIC. START CLEANING UP PLASTIC, ALL PLASTIC.
Again, no industrial waste water should EVER discharge, all industrial water should recycle.
PERIOD. FULL STOP.
Basin to basin water transfers?
Consumptive water use, we send 11Mgal/day of treated waste water to the Geysers, per day?
About ~130cfs. Every second.

Housing, communal & affordable. Green Roofs.
Everybody is so concerned, but not concerned enough to know, or learn, what's actually right,
and not concerned enough to turn it over to people who are also really concerned and know,
but just enough to be disruptive?

Ultimately, we must, BE THE CHANGE.
YHS Thomas

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osc_earth-action/05a93541-39e2-4727-b6d6-729a46d34750%40googlegroups.com.