Action Alert! AB 310: The most important action we can do this year! Today & the next two months!

Hoai-An Truong

Jul 24, 2020, 1:17:45 PM7/24/20
to ClimateActivists-SC
Dear fellow activists,

It is my conviction we won't be able to transform our economy and infrastructure fast enough to deal with the climate crisis without Public Banking.

If you only answer one of my calls to action this year, let it be this one. This could be THE most important thing we can do this year for relief and recovery from the pandemic, for SOCIAL JUSTICE - AND for climate solutions and mitigation. Please take action TODAY and the next two months. (Public banking is in the Green New Deal, as well.)

Just one of the many advantages of a public bank: Public banking can cut the cost of infrastructure up to HALF. This can be achieved by financing through the city's own bank, eliminating interest paid on bonds and returning the earned interest to the city's own operating budgets. Additionally, a state public bank could save millions in fees paid to Wall Street banks every year. What could cities and counties and states do with the money saved?

If we can get AB 310 passed, funding provided by public banking can help alleviate the tremendous economic distress we are facing in the upcoming months and years due to the pandemic, helping cities and counties fund much needed services. Think of everywhere we need funding as a result of the pandemic, for example: feeding the hungry, helping the homeless, and building affordable housing.

Think of all the climate related projects we need: helping fossil fuel employees retrain for jobs in clean energy, providing incentives for residents and businesses to transition to clean energy, funding the conversion of conventional agriculture to regenerative agriculture to name just a few. ALL of the projects we hold dear need funding, lots of it. Public banking can be a huge part of the solution to our funding crises for years to come.

We have only TWO MONTHS to move this bill through two committees in the Senate, the Senate floor, two committees in the Assembly, and the Assembly floor. Last year we succeeded in getting a related bill AB 857 passed. This year, Wall Street banks are on alert and are planning to oppose AB 310. We need as many organizations and elected representatives on board as possible. Please sign your organizations on.

And unfortunately the California Credit Union League is opposing the bill, probably due to a lack of knowledge of how local banks and credit unions have been proven to thrive in partnership with a public bank. And yet public banks, local banks and credit unions all play a key part in divestment from fossil fuel investments. Public banks allow larger entities such as cities and counties to divest from Wall Street banks, as local banks and credit unions are too small to insure those accounts. We need public banking as institutional divestment. In Germany, public banks fund transitions to clean energy.

California can lead the way - if we succeed in starting a state public bank, we can inspire other states that are also facing huge deficits and huge distress to start one too. Think about it: if Wall Street banks oppose AB 310, we should definitely get AB 310 passed!

Please take urgent action - as urgent as the climate crisis - as individuals and as organizations as outlined below, today and for the next two months.

All hands on deck!

Thank you!
__________

We're in emergency mode. We received word yesterday that Sen. McGuire may not schedule the bill because of Treasurer Fiona Ma and Controller Betty Yee's opposition. We need as many constituents as possible calling into his office today, urging him to schedule AB 310.

We'll share a second call-to-action early next week targeting Ma, Yee and Newsom.

If you have contacts in Hertzberg and Portantino's districts, please share.

Thank you!
__________
Due to COVID-19, legislative session may possibly be curtailed and bills will be tabled unless they are directly COVID related. If you are communicating with legislative offices, it's important to emphasize that AB 310 is a direct response to COVID-19 and a State Public Bank is an important vehicle for relief and recovery for California communities.

URGENT. We're targeting 3 Senators today. For AB 310 to be scheduled for a hearing, it's critical that these 3 Senators receive an outpouring of support from the public, while also relaying AB 310 as a COVID-19 recovery bill.

Even if you are not
constituents, we need all Alliance members to make three quick calls TODAY to Senator Mike McGuire, Senator Bob Hertzberg and Senator Anthony Portantino. Some calls may be routed to voicemail, leave a message.

Senator Mike McGuire (Marin to Del Norte County): 916-651-4002
Senator Bob Hertzberg (San Fernando Valley): 916-651-4018
Senator Anthony Portantino (Burbank to Claremont): 916-651-4025

Sample script:

Hi, my name is [Full Name]. I’m calling to ask Senator [ ______ ] to support AB 310. A California State Public Bank is a direct response to the COVID-19 crisis and a crucial engine for economic recovery. This matters to me greatly because a State Bank will provide emergency funding to support our communities and pave the way for California to rebuild from the pandemic. We thank the Senator for supporting last year’s Public Banking Act, and we're counting on him to once again stand with the people, and not Wall Street.

Thank you!