Fwd: Events This Week - Now is the time to show them what we're made of

Emerald

Sep 6, 2018, 4:04:48 AM9/6/18
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com

This short week is packed with ways to take climate action. It is also the last week before the world leaders arrive in the Bay Area for the Global Climate Action Summit. Now is the time to show them what we're made of. Will we see you at any of these awesome events?

RISE Week - Banner Brigade

What: Get the word out about the massive action being taken in the Bay Area this weekend (RISE for Climate, Jobs, and Justice) by holding an announcement banner over bridges which do not have RISE billboards.

Just one hour of bannering may be seen by 50,000+ people! To change everything we need everyone.

When: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday during peak traffic hours (different shifts available).

Where: Berkeley, San Francisco, or Marin

How:Please claim a volunteer shift here!

Thursday 9/6 - Climate of Change Talk

What: Mother Jones’ upcoming event, Climate Of Change: Innovation and action for a new environmental politics. Join former senior advisor to the EPA and current member of the Hip Hop Caucus Mustafa Ali, geologist-turned- congressional candidate Jess Phoenix, and Mother Jones’ Rebecca Leber as they take stock of the state of climate politics—from the rollback in Washington to the resurgence of civic energy around science and environmental issues in cities, states, and at the grassroots. Science educator and correspondent Kishore Hari moderates the conversation.

When: Thursday, Sept 6th from 7:30-9:00pm (Doors open at 7pm)

Where: Fort Mason Center in San Francisco (2 Marina Boulevard)

How: You can get tickets here and the promo code is MOJO2018

Friday 9/7 - 350 Bay Area Social

What: A party! You're invited to 350 Bay Area's Pre-RISE Friday Night Social! The event will have music, mingling, appetizers, food trucks, beverages, free entry to the exhibits, and more fun.

Special Guests: 350.org founder, famous author, and esteemed environmentalist, Bill McKibben, will be sharing a few words along with the current 350.org Executive Director profiled by Time Magazine as a "Next Generation Leader", May Boeve.

When: This Friday, Sept 7th from 6-9pm

Where: Oakland Museum of California Cafe (address:1000 Oak St, Oakland, CA 94607)

How: FREE, but must RSVP here.

Saturday 9/8 - RISE for Climate, Jobs, and Justice

What: Thousands will march in San Francisco for the largest climate march the West Coast has ever seen and the largest street mural the world has ever seen.

When: Saturday, Sept. 8th from 10am-4pm

Where: Embarcadero Plaza - Meet up with the 350 Bay Area team at the point shown here (by the Vaillancourt Fountain). You will see our large banner and if we haven't met you, introduce yourself!

How: VOLUNTEERS are the driving force force this event. Be a leader and volunteer with us - we've got many different shifts available. Please claim a volunteer shift here! We especially need people from 10am-12pm.

Monday 9/10 - Rise Against Climate Capitalism

What: You are invited to join us in a nonviolent action that will include prayer, teach-in, painting a street mural and direct action at one of the places where climate profiteers will be meeting prior to the Global Climate Action Summit. This action will be wrapped in prayer and committed with love for all we hold dear.

We are imagining a vibrantly safe and healthy future for generations to come. We are inviting those committed to acts of climate capitalism to join us in creating an immediate just transition off of fossil fuels. We demand real solutions to climate disruption, not a continuation of business as usual which has resulted in droughts, wildfires, increasing tornadoes, hurricanes and floods.

When: Monday, Sept 10 from 8:00am-12:00pm

Where: 55 Cyril Magnin St, San Francisco, CA 94102, United States

How: RSVP on Facebook here.

Tuesday 9/11 - Women’s Assembly For Climate Justice

What: The ‘Women’s Assembly For Climate Justice’, will be an extraordinary gathering of policy makers, grassroots, frontline, and Indigenous women leaders, joined in solidarity to speak out against environmental and social injustice, draw attention to root causes of the climate crisis, and present the diverse array of visions and strategies with which they are working to shape a healthy and equitable world.

When: Tuesday, Sept 11th from 1-8:30pm

Where: The Green Room - Second floor (address: 401 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco). Livestream video on the WECAN International Facebook page.

How: Please RSVP Here.

Wednesday 9/12 - Block Oakland’s coal terminal

What: The Bank of Montreal has been instrumental in attempting to raise the money to finance the proposed coal terminal on the Oakland waterfront. They lobbied to get $50 million from the State of Utah and proposed to raise $200 million from pension funds, perhaps without disclosing that coal is involved. Protest in front of their hotel meeting!

You can read more about this at NoCoalinOakland.info. We want to stop the Bank of Montreal (which claims to practice socially responsible financing) and warn pension funds and other institutions that they might be targeted for this toxic and risky investment. If there is no funding, there will be no terminal!

When: Wednesday, Sept 12th from 12:00pm-1:30pm

Where: Outside the Marriott Marquis Hotel (address: 780 Mission Street San Francisco, CA 94103)

How: No RSVP, just add to your calendar and show up!

See more events on the calendar here!

Let's do this,

The 350 Bay Area Team

350 Bay Area · San Francisco Bay Area region, CA, United States

You can also keep up with 350 Bay Area on Twitter or Facebook.

Created with NationBuilder, software for leaders.