Sign For Banking Reform: Mehrsa Baradaran for Comptroller

Hoai-An Truong

Jan 26, 2021, 3:34:17 AM1/26/21
to ClimateActivists-SC, AJR (Alliance for a Just Recovery), OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition, John Donnelly, Tim Boeve, Tonya Parnak 350Petaluma, Annie Stuart, 350Petaluma, Sunflower Alliance, Laura Neish, Ken Jones, Silke Valentine, Kathy Dervin, Karen Nelson, Karin Hart, Justin G
Please sign for banking reform at the federal level. Thanks!

"The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) is a little-known but incredibly powerful office in our federal government. It decides which companies can bank in the United States and sets standards for banks' activities in our poor and minority communities.

Right now, President Biden is in the process of naming someone to lead the OCC."

Here's the link to Mehrsa Baradaran's Wikipedia page.

Jan 26, 2021, 4:04:54 AM1/26/21
to ClimateActivists-SC, AJR (Alliance for a Just Recovery), OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition
NY Times article:

A former Obama administration official is the front-runner to be comptroller of the currency. The prospect has angered groups hoping for more dramatic reform.

“Black, Brown and Native communities are often the first victims of predatory banking and financing,” Vasudha Desikan, the Action Center’s political director, said in a statement emailed to journalists on Thursday. “We need a longtime advocate for racial and economic justice, like Mehrsa Baradaran, who understands this and can close the deepening racial wealth gap.”

And in Mr. Greenberger’s view, the difference between the two choices is not between good and evil. Rather, he said, it is akin to whether the office’s leader will be an activist, striking out in a new direction, or whether the agency will hew closer to the status quo.

“[Michael Barr] will not be a bad regulator,” Mr. Greenberger said. “But he will not be a leading reform regulator.”