EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - July 23, 2020

1 view

Emerald

Jul 23, 2020, 8:44:38 AM7/23/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

*******
Occupy Sonoma County is participating in Plastic Free July.  Download our Action Picker handout at http://OccupySonomaCounty/PlasticFreeJuly.  We urge everyone to sign up at http://PlasticFreeJuly.org.  340 million people participated in Plastic Free July worldwide last year!  Will you take the challenge?  Give up plastic for the month of July.  How low can you go?
*******

BREAKTHROUGH!
Government orders Tesoro Pipeline to shut down, pay landowners millions
https://www.buffalosfire.com/perspective-government-orders-tesoro-pipeline-to-shut-down-pay-landowners-millions/
"In a long awaited, yet surprising turn of events, the federal government recently ordered the Tesoro High Plains Pipeline in North Dakota to shut down and pay a group of landowners on the Fort Berthold Reservation millions of dollars for trespass violations."

'24 Hours. 3 Dirty Pipelines Delayed': Supreme Court Rejects Trump Effort to Greenlight Keystone XL Construction

BAYER/MONSANTO
Roundup Cancer Settlement Hits Snag Over Future Plaintiffs' Rights

Bayer-Monsanto Chalks Up Court Victory that Takes Cancer Warning Off Roundup™-Glyphosate in California, Makes Case for Fundamental Overhaul of Pesticide Law

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Mexico Announces Phase-Out and Ban on Glyphosate Herbicides

FOSSIL FUELS
World's largest oil firm agrees to carbon cuts to tackle climate crisis
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/16/worlds-largest-oil-firm-joins-alliance-to-reduce-industrys-carbon-emissions
"Saudi Aramco joins Oil and Gas Climate Initiative pledge but critics say targets are insufficient."

Fracking Firms Fail, Rewarding Executives and Raising Climate Fears
"Oil and gas companies are hurtling toward bankruptcy, raising fears that wells will be left leaking planet-warming pollutants, with cleanup costs left to taxpayers."

Looking Shell in the eye: Ken Saro-Wiwa's last writings

Renewable Natural Gas Isn't a Green Solution for Climate Change

Exposed: West Virginia and Other States Relying on ‘House of Cards’ to Pay for Coal Mine Cleanup

PIPELINES

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
For some environmentalists, 'I can't breathe' is about more than police brutality

Germany bans single-use plastic straws, food containers

GREEN NEW DEAL
What if a ‘green’ economic recovery isn’t the best thing for the climate?

Labour split claims as Ed Miliband calls on state to take shares in bailed-out airlines but Starmer stops short of radical policy

Naomi Klein: 'We must not return to the pre-Covid status quo, only worse'

Will the Democratic Party’s Climate Platform Address Injustice?

Noam Chomsky: Trump’s Inaction on Climate Change Makes Him “the Worst Criminal in History, Undeniably”

by Justin Onwenu, a Detroit-based climate organizer and member of the DNC Climate Council’s Platform Advisory Committee and D Garcia, a California-based youth organizer and the Council’s Youth Engagement Director

WAKE UP CALL
Methane rises to highest level on record
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/14/livestock-farming-and-fossil-fuels-could-drive-4c-global-heat-rise?CMP=share_btn_tw
"Animal farming and fossil fuels have driven global emissions of the potent greenhouse gas methane to the highest level on record, putting the world on track for dangerously increased heat levels of 3C to 4C."

How to Stop the Next Pandemic: U.N. Report Links Outbreaks to Climate Crisis & Industrial Farming (video)

Pink Snow in the Italian Alps Means Trouble, Scientists Say

Government climate advisers running scared of change, says leading scientist
“If we were serious about this crisis we could do this in a year – if we were really serious we could do it in a month, but we are not and our emissions just keep rising.”

Affluence is killing the planet, warn scientists

Global warming will cause ecosystems to produce more methane than first predicted

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Carbon pricing works: the largest-ever study puts it beyond doubt

Four ways to redesign democracy for future generations
"The disturbing truth is that we have colonised the future. Especially in wealthy nations, we treat it is a dumping ground for ecological degradation, technological risk and nuclear waste – as if there is nobody there. And there is little that the unborn citizens of tomorrow can do about it... The good news is that a pioneering generation of time rebels is now emerging to challenge the myopic political presentism at the heart of representative government, where politicians can barely see past the next election or even the latest tweet. This vanguard movement of political activists... has proposed... a new kind of politics (called) ‘deep democracy.’

Ocean Scientists Create Global Network to Help Save Biodiversity

Rock Dust Could Remove Billions of Tons of CO2 From the Atmosphere, Scientists Say

4 Ways to Be a Real Youth Activist
"The 2008 financial crisis spurred a number of youth movements including Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Spring. A decade later, this anger resurfaced in a new wave of global protests, from Hong Kong to Beirut to London, only this time driven by the children of the 2008 financial crisis. These movements enjoy mass popularity, but how effective are they? Greta Thunberg proclaimed that "pretty much nothing [had] been done" since staging school strikes to raise awareness of the climate crisis in 2018, while Micah White, co-creator of Occupy Wall Street, has said that social change as we know it is dead."

Parks vs. People: In Guatemala, Communities Take Best Care of the Forest
"When Guatemala created a major reserve 30 years ago, environmentalists complained that too much land was entrusted to local people and not converted to parks. Now, the parks have been overrun by ranches linked to drug traffickers, while the community-run lands are well preserved."

Hip-hop artist and activist Xiuhtezcatl Martinez on why it’s so important to support indigenous communities right now
"The 20-year-old, who sued the US government for failing to act on the climate crisis back in 2015, tells us why frontline communities are at risk from both COVID-19 and climate change... The indigenous American activist was just six when he spoke at his first climate event, making his debut speech at the United Nations aged 12. He made headlines three years later when he became one of 21 young people to file a landmark lawsuit against the US government for failing to act on climate change... "The climate crisis is so far from just an environmental issue; it encapsulates everything that humanity is facing, specifically frontline communities... We really are the last generation that’s going to be able to turn things around; we are very quickly running out of time... If the climate movement isn’t intersectional, we are going to lose; we are going to fail to ignite the momentum that we need. If we look at the most powerful movements in history, it’s been when people from many walks of life come together to fight for something in common.”

How to shut down urban oil drilling? This city has an unusual idea

Extra £14bn needed a year for climate, report says

DIRECT ACTIONS
Winona LaDuke, Honor the Earth, joins Attorney General Keith Ellison and allies in announcing lawsuit against big oil companies

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
How renewable energy could emerge on top after the pandemic

A Love Letter to My Induction Cooktop
"While I liked the idea of moving away from fossil fuels like natural gas, I had been using gas cooktops my entire life... after two years, hundreds of meals, dozens of sauces, and gallons of homemade stock, I wouldn’t trade my induction range for any other type of cooktop."

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.