Fwd: [Divestment CA] CalCCA Floor Alert: Stop the CPUC power grab and urge your member to vote no on AB 56!

1 view

Hoai-An

May 23, 2019, 10:32:17 PM5/23/19
to ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Call your assemblymember to vote NO on AB 56 by TOMORROW!

Sorry for the short notice. I only saw a notice of this today. (My mailbox overfloweth.)

I tried to clean up some of the formatting issues below, but re-sending it may introduce more problems. If you have trouble reading the content below, you can go to this link instead:

Thank you!

Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 16:30:35 +0000
From: CalCCA <in...@cal-cca.org>

View this email in your browser

CalCCA Floor Alert:
Stop the CPUC power grab and urge your member to vote no on AB 56

The Assembly is poised to take a vote as soon as this Friday, May 24, on a bill opposed by CalCCA that would expand the authority of the California Public Utilities Commission over local community choice energy providers, add costs to ratepayers, and make it harder for communities to achieve their climate goals.

CalCCA urges you to call or email your Assemblymember and ask them to vote no on AB 56 (E. Garcia). (You can find your legislator's contact information here.)

We have been working with the author's office for months on this proposal, which seeks to create a new "central buyer" to manage the state's evolving energy market. This new entity would be responsible for handling resource adequacy, renewable energy, and efficiency programs across the state - even in communities that have formed community choice aggregation programs to procure their own energy.

The latest amendments of this bill, which went into print earlier this week, do not address our concerns - and would make it more costly to provide electricity reliably.

In its current form, this bill is nothing more than a power grab by the CPUC. The new authority granted to the Commission would significantly scale back local control - and create significant problems for your local energy provider.

CalCCA members have testified before the Legislature for months about their support for a central buyer model that would create a true "backstop" to address reliability issues across the grid. We are prepared to work with the author and other stakeholders to address this clearly identified need and problem.

However, as currently drafted, AB 56 grants far too much authority to the CPUC to procure any energy resources as they see fit.

Call or email your legislator today, and urge them to vote no on AB 56!

About CalCCA
Launched in 2016, the California Community Choice Association (CalCCA) represents California's community choice electricity providers before the state Legislature and at regulatory agencies, advocating for a level playing field and opposing policies that unfairly discriminate against CCAs and their customers. There are currently 19 operational CCA programs in California serving approximately 10 million customers.

For more information about CalCCA, visit??www.cal-cca.org.

California Community Choice Association ?? 2300 Clayton Road ?? Suite 1150 ?? Concord, CA 94520 ?? USA