EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - September 12, 2019

Emerald

Sep 13, 2019, 2:34:39 AM9/13/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

Check out the new OSC video on Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (video)
https://youtu.be/QAN4xg8-rrg

BREAKTHROUGH!
Because 'A World Without Insects Is Not Worth Living In,' Germany Announces Plan to Ban Glyphosate

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/04/because-world-without-insects-not-worth-living-germany-announces-plan-ban-glyphosate?cd-origin=rss&utm_term=AO&utm_campaign=Weekly%20Newsletter&utm_content=email&utm_source=Weekly%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Email

The Netherlands — Fossil Cars Down 20%, Electrics Up 75%
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/02/the-netherlands-fossil-cars-down-20-electrics-up-75/

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
US Beekeepers File Suit Against EPA Charging “Illegal” Approval of Insecticide

https://truthout.org/articles/us-beekeepers-file-suit-against-epa-charging-illegalapproval-of-insecticide/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=cf23b66d-d3e5-4f18-a353-8046aedcb1c3

FOSSIL FUELS
Major US Insurer Says It Will No Longer Underwrite and Invest in Coal

https://truthout.org/articles/first-major-us-insurance-company-to-stop-insuring-and-investing-in-coal/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=43043bab-a853-4679-8b8e-5a638e149eec

POLLUTION
Garza: Plastic in Lake Tahoe? It’s pretty much everywhere

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion/9971484-181/garza-plastic-in-lake-tahoe?bt_ee=m%2B0KqMsUrupQEpx1F3%2FVuOaHKX8cEifcGFGy2eoAJnrra1PrIwgvTVAQ0O4kyW6F&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiZGY4NDcwY2ItYzQ4NC00MzYxLTk3MDUtNGUyYTIxYmFmOGQyIn0%3D&utm_term=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&utm_source=boomtrain&bt_ts=1567199402921&sba=AAS
"Microplastic is what becomes of plastic items that are not recycled orburned. Made from petroleum and natural gas, plastic does not biodegradelike paper or food waste, but breaks down into smaller and smaller bits. And since very little of the approximately 83 billion metric tons of plastic that have been produced in the past 70 years has been recycled, that’s a lot of microplastic floating around out there."

GREEN NEW DEAL
Rep. Mike Thompson emphasizes regional solutions at climate change town hall

https://tinyurl.com/yygp9g3v (Press Democrat)
"The event drew a standing room-only audience estimated at about 400 people between students and community members who attended to hear from the 20-year House veteran and local environmental advocates on the efforts in Washington, D.C., and the region to take on the global threat.“Climate change is the most important issue facing us as a people,” Thompson told the crowd. “We’ve got a lot of other problems that we need to work on, butif we don’t get this one right, nothing else matters. We’ll have no world to pass on to our future generations.” A focus on aspirational goals and action that can help set the nation’s agenda were frequent talking points from both Thompson, who was an early co-sponsor of the Green New Deal legislation, and a panel of experts, including researchers and activists. Each emphasized a need to move quickly to make changes at both regulatory and individual levels to prevent even greater harm to the planet."

After DNC Rejects Climate Debate, Candidates Discuss Green New Deal, Environmental Justice at Forum (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/9/5/after_dnc_rejects_climate_debate_candidates?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=077aff9b2a-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-077aff9b2a-191276697

WAKE UP CALL
Why I became a climate activist — and why you should too (video)

Alaska’s Sea Ice Completely Melted for First Time in Recorded History
https://truthout.org/articles/alaskas-sea-ice-completely-melted-for-first-time-in-recorded-history/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=3588536e-c215-486e-a157-4bc086011d45

How Bolsonaro’s Climate Change Denial & Anti-Indigenous Policies Led to Massive Fires in the Amazon (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/8/28/brazil_jair_bolsonaro_unprecedented_amazon_fires?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=3a1d66831b-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-3a1d66831b-191276697

Millionaire CEO Is Bankrolling Think Tank Pushing Climate Denial
https://truthout.org/articles/millionaire-ceo-is-bankrolling-think-tank-pushing-climate-denial/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=7297a691-3349-48aa-9f7f-2610b8841b67

“We Are on the Frontline”: Despite Tiny Carbon Footprint, Bahamas Is Ground Zero of Climate Crisis (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/9/6/dorian_bahamas_climate_crisis?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=88803175c8-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-88803175c8-191276697

Will Deforestation and Warming Push the Amazon to a Tipping Point?

https://e360.yale.edu/features/will-deforestation-and-warming-push-the-amazon-to-a-tipping-point

The air conditioning trap: how cold air is heating the world
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world
"Buying an air conditioner is perhaps the most popular individual response to climate change, and air conditioners are almost uniquely power-hungry appliances: a small unit cooling a single room, on average, consumes more power than running four fridges, while a central unit cooling an average house uses more power than 15. “Last year in Beijing, during a heatwave,
50% of the power capacity was going to air conditioning,” says John Dulac, an analyst at the International Energy Agency (IEA)."

Understanding the human side of climate change relocation
https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-06-10/understanding-human-side-climate-change-relocation

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
*Faces of clean energy: Transforming trash into energy
I have real mixed feelings about this solution.

Attacks on Greta Thunberg, Say Allies, Show Just How 'Terrified' Reactionary Forces Have Become of Global Climate Movement
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/02/attacks-greta-thunberg-say-allies-show-just-how-terrified-reactionary-forces-have?cd-origin=rss&utm_term=AO&utm_campaign=Weekly%20Newsletter&utm_content=email&utm_source=Weekly%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Email

Austerity-Obsessed Europe Could Combat Climate Change Without Raising Taxes
https://truthout.org/articles/austerity-obsessed-europe-could-combat-climate-change-without-raising-taxes/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=3588536e-c215-486e-a157-4bc086011d45

Shut It Down: Veteran Organizer Lisa Fithian Offers a Guide to Resistance in Era of Climate Crisis (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/9/6/lisa_fithian_activism_shut_it_down?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=88803175c8-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-88803175c8-191276697
"Our tactics have got to be escalating. They’ve got to be beautiful. They’ve got to be telling our story through the pictures of it, which is why when I block bridges, I like to do it with the image of what we’re fighting for."

The fallacy of climate activism
https://grist.org/article/2009-08-23-the-fallacy-of-climate-activism/

DIRECT ACTIONS
Are We Witnessing a New Era of Climate Activism? (video)

Hundreds of young people join Greta Thunberg in climate protest outside UN

Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Arrives in NYC to Fight “Biggest Crisis Humanity Has Ever Faced” (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/8/29/greta_thunberg_nyc_climate_activists?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=3c6d84606e-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-3c6d84606e-191276697

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
SMART cites its grant haul of more than $300 million in tax renewal pitch

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/9996796-181/smart-cites-its-grant-haul?utm_term=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&bt_ee=YNZcIuDO+sZgdIz78koSbJireGRQj29JuDF0TqKW4WEixvSbolXuYCdWfOBcI0kq&bt_ts=1567987201980&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_term=ad8e6cac3284183e0c31c7abd0557b09&bt_ee=HhPy3aDL8ju%2BWxRMJrPCG3HUqUgwpsih5SIY5GtHq8Wx5B3xiJlxV3tU0klxu8c1&bt_ts=1567987201898&artslide=1&sba=AAS

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Take Action - Get Involved!

Monday, September 16, 7-9 PM (There is NO Earth Action meeting in August)
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting

OSC will be discussing our Earth Action campaigns and event plans for next year.  Bring your ideas and proposals to this meeting.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Wednesday September 18, 7 - 9 PM (Every 3rd Wednesday)
350 Sonoma monthly organizing meeting
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

Friday, September 20 noon
Climate Strike & Rally
Old Courthouse Square, Santa Rosa
For more info: Sonoma County Sunrise Hub on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SunriseSoCo/

Sept. 20-27

Millions of school strikers have shown us they’re serious about climate action. Adults, will you join our youth?
https://globalclimatestrike.net/

Saturday, September 21, 8:30–11:30 AM
Russian Riverkeeper clean up

Ukiah to Monte Rio on the same day as the California Coastal Cleanup
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/32nd-annual-russian-river-watershed-cleanup-tickets-68532862637?aff=odeimcmailchimp&mc_cid=1ad8876823&mc_eid=f2dea150de

Saturday, September 21, 3-5 PM (third Saturday every month)
Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.sonomasolidarity.org and www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/

Monday, September 23, 7-9 PM, free with donations welcome
Occupy Sonoma County Teach-in with presenter Mickey Huff:
UNITED STATES OF DISTRACTION
MEDIA MANIPULATION IN POST-TRUTH AMERICA
(AND WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT)

Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
For more info: http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Saturday, September 28 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop
9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 2 (every first Wednesday) No Dogs
Sonoma County Permaculture Guild Monthly Potluck
Family Friendly & Fun. Swap
seeds/plants, & explore the PSC
Permaculture Skills Center, 2185 Gravenstein Hwy S, Sebastopol 95472
For more info contact: permacultureskillscenter.org or 707-824-0836

Monday, October 7, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
This meeting will be discussing and planning a summit for 2020 to bring together and expand the network

Time will be allocated for all groups to make reports and request help with their campaigns

Facilitator for this meeting: Woody
Notetaker: Jenny

For more info: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)

Volunteer

• Make phone calls from home for 1 hour every other month as follow up to our press releases.

   No skill needed other than a pleasant phone demeanor.

   Even once would be helpful.

• Please post flyers for our September teach-in at the bulletin boards where you already shop.

   Download event flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.

   Let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• Experienced builder to help us build raised bed garden boxes.

• Help delivering them if you have a truck.

• Help editing our teach-in videos.

• We need an email list of bars and restaurants in Sonoma County.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant