Rohnert Park + climate action (!!!)

Pete Gang

Jan 4, 2021, 5:33:51 PM1/4/21
to Focap Steering, Sebastopol Climate Action Core Group, SoCoCAN!, Earth Action Campaign
Dear climate woke Sonoma County folk,

At last, 2020 is a receding image in the rear-view mirror. The potholed road ahead is strewn with injustices and crises. The climate crisis is one of many, but it is one with truly terrifying consequences and a timeline that can’t be negotiated.

As a first step in acknowledging our unfolding climate crisis, 9 of our 10 jurisdictions in Sonoma County have passed some sort of Climate Emergency Resolution.

The City of Rohnert Park it the lone holdout.

Now it’s their turn.

The RP City Council will hold a 5-hour goal-setting session at noon on Thursday, January 7th. (Zoom link not yet available). They need to hear strong support for climate action!

Please send a short email to city...@rpcity.org (with “Goal Setting Meeting January 2021” in the Subject line) urging the members of the RP City Council to put climate issues at the top of the list of the City’s goals and priorities. (It’s not necessary that you be a Rohnert Park resident).

Here are a few suggested versions:

“I urge the City of Rohnert Park to join its neighbors and the larger world community in acknowledging the climate crisis. 1) put climate issues at the top of the list of goals and priorities, 2) pass a meaningful Climate Emergency Resolution, and 3) take meaningful action to ensure that a stable climate for all future generations.”

"8 of the 9 cities in Sonoma County — plus the County of Sonoma and the Regional Climate Protection Authority — have passed Climate Emergency Resolutions. Rohnert Park is the only jurisdiction that has not yet done so. Time’s up! We need to make climate issues our #1 priority and get to work on transitioning to a carbon neutral world as quickly as possible."

“1,863 governments around the world, including 38 nations and major cities — Boston, Chicago, Miami, Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose among them — have acknowledged the climate emergency that we all face. The City of Rohnert Park needs to join all the other jurisdictions in Sonoma County in passing a meaningful Climate Emergency Resolution.” [Source]

Or use your own words.

Thank you all.

Pete Gang

creek shade

Jan 7, 2021, 11:48:15 AM1/7/21
to Pete Gang, Focap Steering, Sebastopol Climate Action Core Group, SoCoCAN!, Earth Action Campaign
Pete,

Thanks very much for the email and for the details you provided. I copied you on a letter written to the City a few moments ago.

Best wishes,
Maya

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

christine hoex

Jan 7, 2021, 1:09:40 PM1/7/21
to creek shade, Pete Gang, Focap Steering, Sebastopol Climate Action Core Group, SoCoCAN!, Earth Action Campaign
          I just talked to city clerk and she asked us to send our comments to public...@rpcity.org  .   They don’t need an agenda Item because it’s an open study session.   This way they will get read today!

Christine

Pete Gang

Jan 7, 2021, 2:07:11 PM1/7/21
to Christine Hoex, creek shade, Focap Steering, Sebastopol Climate Action Core Group, SoCoCAN!, Earth Action Campaign
Christine,

This is good: I sense that they (RP City Clerk and Councilmembers) are receiving a deluge of comments in support of strong climate action.

And yes: no agenda item needed because (as you say) it’s an open study session/workshop.

Thanks all of you!

Pete