EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - December 5, 2019

Emerald

Dec 5, 2019, 3:36:29 AM12/5/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Native American Tribes Block Copper Mining Company From Destroying Ancestral Lands

Australian scientists may have discovered solution to our plastic recycling problem

LOCAL REPORTS
Planet Earth is too big to fail
"Even in emergencies, as we work to stop the worst damage, we must address the root causes of the crisis and shift the prevailing paradigm."

Charity Case: Investigating PG&E-funded Rebuild North Bay Foundation

Oil and Gas Emissions Have Increased Under California’s Cap and Trade Program
"Here’s how it works: The state sets a cap, or limit, on CO₂ emissions from major polluters. The emissions under that cap are turned into permits, which each give the owner permission to release 1 metric ton of CO₂. Some are given out for free. Others are sold at auction by the state, and the funds are used for climate programs like electric vehicle rebates. Companies with more permits than they need can sell the extras, enabling other companies to buy the right to emit more, hence the trade.
Supply and demand helps determine how much each permit is worth. The cap gets lowered every year, theoretically applying increasing pressure on polluters to reduce emissions. There were 346 million available permits in 2019."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
The US Military Is Poisoning Okinawa

PLASTIC POLLUTION
ACT OUT! Why We Consume, Trading in Trash & Setting a Decolonized Table
Warning: Adult language
If you wish to skip to the news about plastic pollution start at 14:00 for a good interview on the environmental injustice resulting from global plastic recycling.

FOSSIL FUELS
Push to Mine Minerals for “National Security” Is Creating New Market for Coal

‘We’re in a deep hole’: Fossil fuel production on track to exceed safe climate change limits by 120%

PIPELINES
Amid Blackout, a California Tribal Village Kept Lights On With Solar Energy
by Winona LaDuke
" This past month, Pacific Gas and Electric, northern California’s largest northern utility, blacked out 500,000 homes because of forest fires; last year’s Paradise Fire was actually caused by PG&E Lines. As fires raged, fanned by climate change and poor infrastructure, there were still lights on at the Blue Lake Rancheria, a Wiyot, Yurok and Hupa village near Eureka, California – with a megawatt of solar and a battery backup system... Looking down the barrel of a bad pipeline, I know that we don’t need to make a deal with the devil. North Dakota and Enbridge: Go grow your food with oil — I’m going to grow my gardens with water; I’m going to commit to solar and renewables. Let’s see who will eat."

Keystone pipeline spill affecting nearly 10 times more land than first thought: report

WAKE UP CALL
UN calls for push to cut greenhouse gas levels to avoid climate chaos

Democratic Primary Debate Moderators Are Failing to Center the Climate Crisis

New Senate Climate Caucus Is Filled With Climate Deniers and Climate “Delayers”

Methane in the atmosphere is surging, and that’s got scientists worried

Toyota and GM Sided With Trump’s Clean Car Rollbacks to Preserve Profits
"GM notes that its profitability depends upon selling more (gas-guzzling) trucks and SUVs: Any shift in consumer preferences toward smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles…could weaken the demand for our higher margin vehicles... Ford makes a similar admission tying its profitability to selling more large gas-guzzlers... Toyota as the only automaker that did not improve in fuel economy... GM and Fiat Chrysler, companies that are also siding with a federal government intent on weakening fuel economy and emissions standards, ranked at the bottom on measures of fuel economy and CO2 emissions. The auto industry may be divided on the Trump administration’s fight with California. But the bottom line is that automakers overall seem most concerned with protecting their bottom line, even if it compromises public health and climate progress.

Noam Chomsky: Democratic Party Centrism Risks Handing Election to Trump
“With regard to the climate crisis, yes, it’s time to panic. We are in deep trouble.” These should be the defining terms of the 2020 election."

Southern Africa’s deadly drought leaving millions hungry

The climate science is clear: it's now or never to avert catastrophe
by Bill McKibben

New report finds costs of climate change impacts often underestimated

Advocates say the state is allowing environmental harm in low-income, minority counties

Permafrost Becoming a Carbon Source Instead of a Sink

Koalas Functionally Extinct After Australia Bushfires Destroy 80% Of Their Habitat
While we have been focused on our own massive fires, the same thing has been happening in Australia.

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Why Aren't People in the US Rising Up Like Those Elsewhere in the World?
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/14/why-arent-people-us-rising-those-elsewhere-world
by Medea Benjamin
"The Occupy Movement in 2011 came closest to challenging the entire neoliberal system. It awakened a new generation to the reality of government of, by, and for the corrupt 1%, and built a powerful basis for solidarity among the marginalized 99%... The climate movement is starting to mobilize a new generation, and groups like School Strike for the Climate and Extinction Rebellion take direct aim at this destructive economic system that prioritizes corporate growth and profits over the very survival of life on Earth. But while climate protests have shut down parts of London and other cities around the world, the scale of climate protests in the U.S. does not yet match the urgency of the crisis."

UN Climate Convention Switch From Chile to Spain May Hinder Climate Justice
Finally, the public wants action on the climate crisis. Now politics must catch up
Her Message About Climate Change: It’s Not Too Late
Apocalypse Got You Down? Maybe This Will Help

Streets on fire: how a decade of protest shaped the world
"From Occupy Wall Street to Extinction Rebellion, this has been a combustible 10 years."

DIRECT ACTIONS
XR reveals plans for '12 days of crisis' in run up to general election

Paddling 300 miles to protect the waters of Ohi:yo', the 'good river' (video)

Every Single Being on the Planet – EXTINCTION REBELLION (video)

Jay Griffiths: Why We Rebel (video)

Rebel with a cause: the regional firefighter who joined Extinction Rebellion*
“They need to take action … climate change is true and we need to clean it up. The fire here was so intense because it is so dry and the only thing that has made it this dry is climate change. The climate is changing. Slowly but surely, it is killing us."
*Sydney, Australia Extinction Rebellion

Climate Change Protesters Disrupt Yale-Harvard Football Game

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Washington Becomes First State to Legalize Human Body Composting

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Take Action - Get Involved!

Thursday, December 5, 5 – 8 pm
, $30 includes dinner & one drink
Sonoma County Conservation Council & Sierra Club Sonoma Group Holiday Networking & Awards Party

Environmentalist of the Year award to Woody Hastings, Lifetime Environmental Achievement to Pat & Ted Eliot.
Party, good food, wine, hot cider and music with the NewGrange Jam Band - Bluegrass with a holiday theme.
Sebastopol Grange, 6000 Sebastopol Ave/Hwy 12
To volunteer or for more info: Wendy Krupnick, 544-4582, w...@sonic.net

Friday, December 6, 12:00, 5:00 & 6:00 PM
Global Youth Climate Strike (Everyone - please attend)
Noon - Die–ins for Life, staged at schools across the county, Courthouse Square & Cotati Downtown Plaza
5:00 PM – Candle lit March. Meet at Julliard Park and march to Courthouse Square
6:00 – 7:00 PM – Climate Vigil in Courthouse Square led by youth activists, artists and community leaders
For more info go to
sunri...@gmail.com, facebook.com/SunriseSoCo/ or @sunrisesoco on instagram

Monday, December 9, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
This meeting will be discussing and planning a summit for 2020 to bring together and expand the network

Time will be allocated for all groups to make reports and request help with their campaigns

Facilitator for this meeting: Amanda
Notetaker: Maya

For more info: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)

Wednesday December 18, 7 - 9 PM (Every 3rd Wednesday)
350 Sonoma monthly organizing meeting
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

Saturday, December 21, 3-5 PM (third Saturday every month)
Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.sonomasolidarity.org and www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/

Saturday, December 28 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop
9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 1 (every first Wednesday) No Dogs
Sonoma County Permaculture Guild Monthly Potluck
Family Friendly & Fun. Swap
seeds/plants, & explore the PSC
Permaculture Skills Center, 2185 Gravenstein Hwy S, Sebastopol 95472
For more info contact: permacultureskillscenter.org or 707-824-0836

Sunday, Jan. 19, 12 Noon – 5 PM
The North Bay Community Engagement Fair
A gathering of local groups, community leaders, activists, artists, and volunteers working together to secure civil liberties, protect the disenfranchised, justly transition to a regenerative economy, and foster a resilient ecology.
Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Hall - 1351 Maple Ave, Santa Rosa

Monday, January 20, 7-9 PM (Every 3rd Monday - No meeting in December)
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Monday, January 27, 7-9 PM, free with donations welcome
STRATEGIES FOR CLIMATE ACTION: What’s Working, and Why?
Time is running out; we can’t afford ineffective approaches to the climate crisis. This workshop will provide a brief overview of where we are in the climate movement and look at the key targets for slowing or reversing climate change. We will explore the most successful climate strategies and tactics for building our movement, shifting government policies and corporate practices, while changing the public discourse on climate.
Presenter Daniel Solnit is a union organizer, campaign strategist, and social change activist with 40 years of experience.
These strategies can be applied to a number of issues.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
For more info: OccupySonomaCounty.org

Volunteer

• Make phone calls from home for 1 hour every other month as follow up to our press releases.

   No skill needed other than a pleasant phone demeanor.

   Even once would be helpful.

• Please post flyers for our teach-ins at the bulletin boards where you already shop.

   Download event flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.

   Let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• Experienced builder to help us build raised bed garden boxes.

• Help editing our teach-in videos.

• We need an email list of bars and restaurants in Sonoma County.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant

Bob

Dec 6, 2019, 4:18:39 PM12/6/19
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Emerald,

Science Friday, last 1/2 hour covers science board games.  Excellent possibilities, particularly for folks with interest in climate.

Bob

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

christine hoex

Dec 7, 2019, 9:16:42 AM12/7/19
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
      Change in meeting date for 350Sonoma this month.
    Dec Meeting will take place on this Wed the 12th. At 7pm at P&J center. Join our repurposeing gift market. Bring an item you don’t need any more to participate in the shopping!

christine hoex

Dec 7, 2019, 9:23:54 AM12/7/19
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
        350Sonoma meeting is Thursday Dec 12th this coming week. Hope to see you there.
        Thanks Christine

Leslie Sheridan

Dec 7, 2019, 11:03:43 AM12/7/19
to christine hoex, Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign, CarpeDi...@sonic.net

I GOT THIS FOUR TIMES, WHICH IS NOT EXACTLY RESPECTFUL.

If, for some reason there are three duplicates, please remove them.

If this is not the case, please reconsider bombarding people four times in the same day with the same message.

Get the highest-quality, organic, cruelty-free, U.S.-grown  CBD products,

with a 60-day empty-bottle money-back guarantee:

www.CarpeDiemCBD.global

Follow Carpe Diem CBD on Linkedin or Facebook!

IMPEACH THE MF LOGO

Leslie Sheridan
707.995.1034
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013818014020

P Please consider our environment before printing this email.

        Thanks Christine

9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communitys...@gmail.com

image001.png

Woody Hastings

Dec 8, 2019, 8:56:33 PM12/8/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Hi Folks,

Yes, in the midst of an all-out climate crisis, proposals for new gas stations are still coming at us!

A public hearing on this proposed 12-pump station is being held "at or after" 9am on December 12. It’s important to fill the room with opponents to this short-sighted development. Especially with folks who live in Santa Rosa, please attend if you can:

Thursday, December 12, 2019, at or after 9:00 AM in Small Conference Room, 637 First Street, Santa Rosa

The notice for the public meeting describes the project as a “minor subdivision to create a park site and retail parcel for gasoline, electric charging station, and a neighborhood market.” The application was  filed by Dhillon Mangal (File # - CC18-004).

Once again we have a proposal for a new gas station in the Laguna, adjacent to the Joe Rodota Trail, in this case with a whopping 14 operational gas stations within 5 miles. This is due to the fact that the site is near the downtown core of Santa Rosa. There is no need for this gas station!

Here is a statement from biologist Maya Khosla about this site: "I would argue that the place has intrinsic value, which would need to be left intact. There’s another smaller drainage (in addition to the main drainage flowing alongside the trail) and a vernal pool featuring enough water to support amphibians - although the presence of a listed species has not been confirmed. Small mammal burrows that could support amphibians during the dry seasons are also present. And the land features several legacy oaks, gorgeous trees that take over a hundred years to attain their current size. That’s just an initial assessment based on a quick survey."

The contact person at the city of Santa Rosa is Adam Ross, City Planner, 707-543-4705 or ar...@srcity.org   Please send emails in opposition.

The staff report and attachments related to this project will be available as of Dec. 12 at srcity.org

-Woody