From: Janet Cox <ja...@jwcox.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:29 PM
Subject: [Divestment CA] SB 260 - READ THIS ONE!
To: 350 Cali <350...@googlegroups.com>, Divestment California <divestment...@googlegroups.com>, 350SV Legislation Team <legis...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Melissa Romero <mel...@ecovote.org>, Hanna, Tate <tate....@sen.ca.gov>, gershon bialer <gershon...@gmail.com>

Hi all

I want to let everyone know that SB 260, the Wiener/Limón Climate Corporate Accountability Act, has taken some excellent amendments, and 350 Silicon Valley is now in strong support.

It is now strictly about emissions reporting, and clearly complementary to SB 449, Senator Stern’s Climate-related Financial Risk bill. It also keeps its requirements of CARB to a very reasonable set of actions that are less likely to rile up anti-CARB legislators. If we can get both these bills passed, and require comprehensive emissions data AND financial risk reporting, California will have redeemed itself somewhat for our, ahem, temporary refusal to consider setbacks or a fracking ban. (Buckle up, though — both of these bills are going to be targeted by everyone remotely connected with fossil fuels, and the Chamber of Commerce, etc. etc.)

SB 260 passed Senate Environmental Quality last week and was referred to the Judiciary Committee; it will be heard there a week from tomorrow, Tuesday the 27th, at 1:30. Support letters are due through the portal by this coming Wednesday at noon. If you were in support before, you should re-send letters noting “support as amended.” I’m attaching 350SV’s letter; please feel free to copy, crib, or adapt. It would also be GREAT to have a lot of people on the phone at Judiciary speaking up for the bill, although it looks possible that the amendments last week and today are specifically designed to address the concerns that prompted EQ to refer it to Judiciary in the first place, so maybe it will sail right through.

Judiciary Committee members:
Janet
350 Silicon Valley

350SV_SB 260_Support.pdf