EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - August 6, 2020

Emerald

Aug 6, 2020, 8:08:15 AM8/6/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
World Mayors Call for Car-Free Streets, End to Fossil Fuel Subsidies as Part of ‘Green and Just Recovery’

LOCAL REPORTS
Shutdown of Marathon's Martinez Refinery Prompts Calls for 'Just Transition' for Oil Workers

Tired of Wells That Threaten Residents’ Health, a Small California Town Takes on the Oil Industry
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/02082020/california-big-oil-environmental-health?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
"The mostly low-income, Latino residents of Arvin have joined with other communities to demand setbacks for wells. Their slogan: “No drilling where we are living.”

SMART seeks support for low-income discount program in ticket price review

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
New York State Legislature Bans Glyphosate (Roundup) in Public Parks, Bill Goes to Governor for Signature

FOSSIL FUELS
Bankrupt Fracking Companies Are Harming the Climate and Taxpayers

Germany Approves Coal Phaseout by 2038

PIPELINES
In Wake of Recent Victories, Standing Rock Activists Carry On With Renewed Hope

Who’s Insuring the Trans Mountain Pipeline?

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Which states are making the most progress on emissions? Not the ones you think.

This Carbon Emissions Law Actually Has Helped Kids Breathe

'It gives you a sense of pride': what four people learned from quitting plastic for a month
"This year, the campaign estimates they had 326 million participants, worldwide... Plastic Free July really grew because so many people felt the same thing. This was something practical and tangible we could do.”

COVID-19 Is Laying Waste to Many U.S. Recycling Programs
"Prices for the most-recycled categories of reclaimed plastics — PET (#1) and PE (#2 and #4) – were at 10-year lows. An influx of cheap oil has driven the raw material cost of oil-derived virgin plastics to their lowest levels in decades, outcompeting recycled feedstocks."

WAKE UP CALL
There's a Heatwave at the Arctic ‘Doomsday Vault’

Last Year Was the Deadliest for Environmental Activists, Defenders

212 Environmental Activists Were Killed Last Year, a Record Number

John Lewis fought for equal protection. That means tackling pollution, poverty, and policing.
"It’s not a coincidence that race is the most salient factor explaining the location of hazardous waste sites and the worst polluters... Baked-in patterns of segregation have led to inequalities in environmental exposure, which are determined by the resources and the political power a community has to fight the siting of industrial facilities, as well as zoning and land-use decisions."

Amazon region: Brazil records big increase in fires

City Staff Working on Houston's Climate Plan Are Being Paid by BP

Portland awards itself a participation trophy for climate
"Portland’s greenhouse gas emissions increased by 440,000 tons per year, instead of decreasing as called for in its 2015 plan."

How Cooling Things Down Is Heating Things Up
"A visual essay about how cooling equipment like air conditioning and refrigerators cause climate change and what to do about it."

The World’s Largest Tropical Wetland Is on Fire

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Environmental Advocates Call for Ban on SUV Ads

How to Be an Effective Online Ally for the Social and Environmental Justice Fight

Climate Goals Are Key to Economic Recovery

'Huge' implications to Irish climate case

How to create 25 million jobs by decarbonizing the economy
"A new plan shows how the U.S. could massively mobilize to hit the Paris climate goals by building up the power grid with renewable energy to support a newly electrified economy."

This country regrew its lost forest. Can the world learn from it?

Could Plastic-Free 'Reef Cubes' Help Save the Ocean?
"The cubes interlock, leaving larger living spaces for fish, crabs and lobsters, and their porous surface is designed to allow marine plants to establish easily and grow. The aim is for these alternative reefs to protect vital offshore installations from storms and erosion while also encouraging marine biodiversity."

Want to Design a Livable Future? Try ‘Multisolving’
"We come across people who have the impression that [the climate crisis is] pretty much hopeless. "It's too late. We've left it too long." And En-ROADS, for those people, is motivating because it shows that the goal of the Paris Climate Agreement to keep temperature increase well below 2 degrees [Celsius] is still physically possible. There's a huge amount of social and political will needed to do it, but it's within reach."

DIRECT ACTIONS
The evolution of Extinction Rebellion

We’re way off track! Extinction Rebellion send a message to the world at today’s Formula 1

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Unique Performance Space in Scotland Is Being Built With Recycled Pianos

How this Dutch city is redesigning itself for extreme heat

Now Is the Perfect Time to Rethink Green Transportation
"Increasingly, thinking about the future of cities suggests that chiefly relying on cars as a form of transport has run its course."

Startup Company Recycles Electric Car Batteries
"The approach generates less carbon pollution than mining those minerals from the ground. And it solves another problem the booming industry is grappling with: how to safely and sustainably dispose of spent batteries."

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.