EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - January 17, 2019

Emerald

Jan 17, 2019, 6:43:50 AM1/17/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM OCCUPY SONOMA COUNTY!
MAY 2019 BE THE YEAR THAT ALL OF HUMANITY WAKES UP TO THE URGENCY OF CLIMATE CHANGE AND JOINS TOGETHER TO LOVE AND HEAL OUR PRECIOUS MOTHER EARTH.

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
'Victory': Supreme Court Rejects Exxon's Appeal, Time to Fork Over Climate Docs

https://www.ecowatch.com/supreme-court-big-oil-exxon-2625361340.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ad8319fb63-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ad8319fb63-86095421

Supreme Court Refuses Exxon Appeal, Allows Mass. Climate Probe to Proceed
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/01/07/supreme-court-exxon-climate-massachusetts-healey/

EPA Negotiates Deal to Drop Plans to Weaken Farmworker Protections
https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2019/01/epa-drops-plans-to-weaken-farmworker-protections/

GMOs & GLYPHOSATE

EU Approval of Glyphosate Based on Review That Plagiarized Monsanto Studies
https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-approval-eu-2626086402.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf6b7b6d2a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf6b7b6d2a-86095421

USDA Capitulates to the Agrichemical Industry with Final GE Labeling Rule
https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2019/01/usda-capitulates-to-the-agrichemical-industry-with-final-ge-labeling-rule/

Monsanto Can Claim Patent on GM Cotton in India, Top Court Rules

https://www.ecowatch.com/monsanto-india-gmo-cotton-2625432329.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=8aea6d64ae-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-8aea6d64ae-86095421

OIL & GAS

Oil Tanker Fire Near Hong Kong Kills 1, Potential Spill Could Threaten Endangered Turtles and Dolphins
https://www.ecowatch.com/oil-tanker-fire-hong-kong-2625515032.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=8aea6d64ae-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-8aea6d64ae-86095421

PIPELINES
South Dakota County Secures More Jail Cells to Prepare for KXL Pipeline Protests

https://www.ecowatch.com/south-dakota-jail-cells-kxl-protests-2625351453.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ad8319fb63-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ad8319fb63-86095421

Energy Transfer Opens Mariner East 2 Pipeline Amid Hazard Worries, Investigation
https://truthout.org/articles/energy-transfer-opens-mariner-east-2-pipeline-amid-hazard-worries-investigation/

ZERO WASTE

'Right to Repair': Fixing Our Own Broken Stuff Should Be Standard
https://www.ecowatch.com/right-to-repair-movement-2625650609.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e3e693bf70-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e3e693bf70-86095421

POLLUTION

Fiat Chrysler to Pay Nearly $800 Million Settlement Over Emissions Cheating Charges

https://www.ecowatch.com/fiat-chrysler-settlement-cheating-charges-2625728116.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4f2c4f7c11-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4f2c4f7c11-86095421

WAKE UP CALL

Weather records to fall as heatwave smashes the country
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/01/13/weather-heatwave/

Monarch Butterfly Population Plummets in California
https://www.ecowatch.com/monarch-butterfly-population-california-2625340950.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ad8319fb63-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ad8319fb63-86095421

Collapsing glaciers threaten Asia’s water supplies
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07838-4

Isle de Jean Charles Tribe Turns Down Funds to Relocate First US 'Climate Refugees’ as Louisiana Buys Land Anyway

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/01/11/isle-de-jean-charles-tribe-turns-down-funds-relocate-climate-refugees-louisiana

U.S. Carbon Emissions Spiked 3.4% in 2018, Second-Largest Increase Since 1996
https://www.ecowatch.com/us-carbon-emissions-2018-2625437969.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=8aea6d64ae-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-8aea6d64ae-86095421

Trump Threatens to Cut Off California Wildfire Aid
https://www.ecowatch.com/trump-wildfire-funding-fema-2625553888.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=235d04f85d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-235d04f85d-86095421

PG&E seeks bankruptcy protection over California wildfires

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/9169612-181/pge-facing-colossal-liability-seeks?utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_term=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&bt_ee=hqXPDiaZUVCafuuCR2GfAY+ymYsPwwy4wSGu+bwA/gI824oPtraqNAz5BEe4RyP3&bt_ts=1547496003784&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_term=ad8e6cac3284183e0c31c7abd0557b09&utm_content&bt_ee=kE9UTvr72KEixBBnnG9%2FVPz%2Fj7IsGDv65eWCDoRHcSouCTgsqm5tSq281%2FQoKtF4&bt_ts=1547496003733

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
To Take Down Fossil Fuels, We Must Abandon Capitalism
https://truthout.org/articles/a-farewell-to-glaciers-coral-reefs-and-rainforests/

How humans disrupted a cycle essential to all life
https://www.vox.com/videos/2019/1/11/18178233/carbon-cycle-climate-change-explainer-video?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

With the right guiding principles, carbon taxes can work
https://theconversation.com/with-the-right-guiding-principles-carbon-taxes-can-work-109328?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitterbutton

DIRECT ACTION
The Youth Have Seen Enough
https://www.ecowatch.com/youth-climate-change-activism-thunberg-2625641153.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=526e4e05e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-526e4e05e8-86095421

Colorado's Top Court Sides Against Youth in Major Anti-Fracking Case
https://www.ecowatch.com/colorado-youth-fracking-case-2626070704.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bf6b7b6d2a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bf6b7b6d2a-86095421

Court Rules EPA Must Release 20,000 Emails Between Wheeler, Other Top Officials and Polluting Industries

https://www.ecowatch.com/epa-wheeler-emails-polluting-industries-2625417216.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ad8319fb63-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ad8319fb63-86095421
"The December 26 decision by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California was the result of a lawsuit brought by the Sierra Club after the EPA missed its deadline in responding to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING

Thousands of GM engineers reassigned to work on EVs
https://www.axios.com/thousands-of-gm-engineers-reassigned-to-work-on-electric-vehicles-aae16bb6-19d4-40f2-8da5-2688e65e80f8.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

Electric Cadillacs in 2021

Exxon mulling investing in electric-vehicle charging
https://www.axios.com/exxon-mulling-investing-electric-vehicle-charging-bfb2d09b-94ff-481e-a0b5-09bd4cde273e.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

Abu Dhabi begins operation of world's largest solar plant
https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/business/story/Abu_Dhabi_begins_operation_of_worlds_largest_solar_plant-ZAWYA20190109031537/

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Healthy Food Just Got a Big Boost in the New Farm Bill
https://truthout.org/articles/healthy-food-just-got-a-big-boost-in-the-new-farm-bill/

World's Largest Solar + Battery Plant Unveiled in Hawaii

https://www.ecowatch.com/worlds-largest-solar-peaker-plant-unveiled-in-hawaii-2625529207.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=235d04f85d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-235d04f85d-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Saturday, ​
Jan​uary​ 19, 3-5 pm
DIY Zero Waste at Home workshop
Sebastopol Library

​L​earn with Recology experts and more​.​ Materials provided & kid friendly.
Registration Recommended: https://sonomacounty.libcal.com/event/4742050

Monday, January 21, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Saturday, Jan 26, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Fruit Tree Pruning Workshop - Free

HARMONY FARM SUPPLY, 3244 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, Ca 95472

Register here: http://harmonyfarmsupply.com/calendar-of-events/?action=evregister&event_id=163

Saturday, January 26 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
12-1 Free Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

Monday, February 4, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Anne Jacopetti
Notetaker: Jory Adamson

Saturday, ​February 9​, 1:30 - 4:30 PM
Sonoma Solidarity With Standing Rock meeting

Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa
1:30 to 3:00 PM - Public Banking meeting
3:00 to 4:30 PM - Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock admin/divestment meeting
For more info, visit: www.sonomasolidarity.org

Monday, February 18, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, ​February 20​, 7pm
350 Sonoma
Meeting
For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sonomacounty@gmail.com

Volunteer Opportunities

• OSC puts on six events every year.  Can you agree to post our event flyers to the bulletin boards where you already shop?  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Flyers can always be downloaded from our website or we can get them to you.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.