EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 4, 2018

Emerald

Oct 4, 2018, 7:24:42 AM10/4/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Christiana Figueres on Grounded Optimism (2 minute video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgX5gMBL5n0&feature=player_embedded
Climate One: "Christiana Figueres, former UNFCCC Executive Secretary, calls optimism "a sacred opportunity... not the result of having achieved something, but the input with which you enter into a challenge".
Christiana Figueres on staying positive in the face of climate chaos.

2) Straw bans won't fix the plastic problem, but something else can
https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/straw-bans-wont-fix-plastic-problem-something-else-can.html

Wired: "San Francisco didn’t fail to meet its goal because it wasn’t following the most current and efficient methods of waste control, says Joan Marc Simon, the executive director of Zero Waste Europe. “It’s because they can’t recycle what is not recyclable.”

5) UK Jails First Environmental Activists in 86 Years Over Fracking Protest
https://www.ecowatch.com/environmental-activists-jailed-uk-fracking-2608115143.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b19eb75e32-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b19eb75e32-86095421

6) Sierra Club Alerts Voters to Top 10 'Fossil Fools' to Oust in Midterm Elections
https://www.ecowatch.com/sierra-club-fossil-fools-elections-2608134355.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b19eb75e32-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b19eb75e32-86095421
The Occupy Movement has a policy not to endorse political candidates, but we have no problem saying who we are against.  :)
The lawsuits against Bayer/Monsanto linking Roundup with cancer are now up to 9,500.  The first lawsuit awarded $289M to one person.  Here's some math: $289M X 9,500 = $2,745,500,000,000.  Is that enough to bankrupt Bayer?
ArtKillingApathy: "Fracking operations not only represent a toxic and unnecessary bridge, that bridge is actually a backwards, one-way bridge."
ArtKillingApathy: "It is wildly overwhelming to stand before the doom and gloom of climate change and then feel good about riding your bike, or recycling. So, do we just say forget it? Or do we start somewhere? Where we can?"

19) Sun Sets on Saudi Arabia’s Ambitious Solar Project
https://www.ecowatch.com/saudi-arabia-solar-project-paused-2609499608.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9a8161081a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9a8161081a-86095421

20) Nations to Sign Groundbreaking Arctic Ocean Fishing Ban
https://www.ecowatch.com/arctic-ocean-fishing-ban-2609554474.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=05a6aa89e4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-05a6aa89e4-86095421
"Signatories include the U.S., Canada, Denmark (for Greenland and the Faroe Islands), Norway, Russia, China, Iceland, Japan, the Republic of Korea and the European Union. "

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Thursday, October 4 at 7:15 PM
Rialto Cinemas, Sebastopol
Free
Happening
documentary
about a road trip through America to find out whether the promise of clean energy is actually happening. Post-screening panel discussion about local climate groups and their activities.
Seating limited to 120 so pick up tickets early.
For more info contact
350Sono...@gmail.com or Rialto Theater

Saturday, October 6, 12 PM – 4 PM
Sebastopol Repair Café

Park Side Elementary, 7450 Bodega Ave, Sebastopol, California 95472

Volunteers repair household items, jewelry, computers, bicycles, musical instruments, toys, clothing, etc.
The event is FREE with donations welcome
Hosted by Recology
Contact: RepairC...@gmail.com or https://www.sef-pc.com/repair-cafe.html

Saturday, October 13, 1:30 - 4:30 PM
Sonoma Solidarity With Standing Rock meeting

Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa
1:30 to 3:00 PM - Public Banking meeting
3:00 to 4:30 PM - Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock admin/divestment meeting
For more info, visit: www.sonomasolidarity.org

Monday, October 15, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, October 17, 7pm
350 Sonoma
For more info go to Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

Saturday October 27 (the last Saturday every month)

Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

Monday, October 29, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Terri Moon

Thursday, November 8, 7-9 PM
The Reluctant Radical
- Occupy Sonoma County film showing
Arlene Frances Center, 99 6th St., Santa Rosa
film about activist Ken Ward who turned off the valves to the US oil pipelines
Free with donations welcome
For more info: OccupySonomaCounty.org

December 6, 5-8 PM

Holiday Networking Party & Awards for Leadership in Post-fire Ecosystem Regeneration

Sebastopol Grange

Sonoma County Conservation Council: sc...@sonic.net

Volunteer Opportunities

• We need a list of all Sonoma County bars, clubs, restaurants, food trucks, food vendors, caterers - any company that serves food and drinks.  First we are doing a mailing to Mexican restaurants and taquerias about GMOs in corn and then in a few months we are doing a large mailing requesting that food vendors use paper straws and not the new so-called compostable plastic which is only slightly better than regular plastic.  We need help compiling these mailing lists.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.

Guadalupe Casco

Oct 4, 2018, 11:48:47 AM10/4/18
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign

Hello Emerald, I want to share an action for the Rights of Nature in Sonoma County that will take place on Tuesday, October 9th at 5pm at Julliard Park, Santa Rosa. Please see below for more details.

On Tuesday, October 9th, we will lead a procession of frontline communities- those most directly affected by the fires, displacement, deportation - from Julliard Park into Courthouse Square. We want to make a call for the collective care of our collective Home, to assert our commitment to the protection of our planet and our families here in Sonoma County.

Roots, Roof and Refuge refers to our campaigns to win a Rights of Nature ballot initiative in the coming years (Roots), to build out our Tenants Union and win renter protections (Roof), and to assure our immigrant community can live safely and flourish amongst us (Refuge).

This will be the first action hosted by our Rights of Nature Task Force, and we'll invite the broader public to participate in this ongoing, dynamic campaign.
We need your voices and energies, please come participate!

https://www.facebook.com/events/303242947138969/