EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - February 8, 2018

Emerald

Feb 8, 2018, 8:21:50 AM2/8/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.  Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

​1) DuPont vs. the World: Chemical Giant Covered Up Health Risks of Teflon Contamination Across Globe​ (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/1/23/dupont_vs_the_world_chemical_giant?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=79457f95e1-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-79457f95e1-191276697

2) A Warning from the Center of the World: Pacific Nation Kiribati Is Disappearing as Sea Level Rises (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/1/23/a_warning_from_the_center_of?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=79457f95e1-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-79457f95e1-191276697
AND
Climate Adaptation Is Essential, Scientists Warn

https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-adaptation-2531570965.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421
AND
Ozone Layer Recovery Falters Unexpectedly

https://www.ecowatch.com/ozone-layer-recovery-2531858539.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421

3) Single-use plastic bags ban under scrutiny as shoppers switch and ditch reusables
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/30/single-use-plastic-bags-ban-under-scrutiny-as-shoppers-switch-and-ditch-reusables?CMP=share_btn_link
The Guardian International: "Australian states with bans in place see rise in consumers and retailers resorting to thicker bags to escape the rule."

4) Redacted Tonight #458-Claire Connelly Discusses The Failures Of The Liberal Elites with Lee Camp
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/moment-of-clarity/e/53145496?autoplay=true
Warning: Adult language and crude humor

5) Live to 110 Podcast #166 Glyphosate and How to Detox It with Dr. Stephanie Seneff (video)
https://youtu.be/CmAsTrsUjBc
MIT Senior Researcher Stephanie Seneff has chosen to devote her career to researching glyphosate (the main ingredient in the herbicide Roundup) because of the connection to many, many diseases. Recent testing found glyphosate in the urine of every single person tested. Glyphosate was recently classified as carcinogenic by the State of California and is banned in many countries around the world. For more information and to read her research papers go to her website at: https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/.

6) GM crops in Brazil have driven up pesticide use
http://gmwatch.org/en/news/archive/2018/18059-gm-crops-in-brazil-have-driven-up-pesticide-usex
AND
Missouri Organic Family Farm Faces Ruin After Herbicide Drift

https://www.ecowatch.com/organic-farm-herbicide-drift-2531606198.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421

7) What are the health effects of Monsanto's weed killer Roundup? (audio)
http://kalw.org/post/what-are-health-effects-monsantos-weed-killer-roundup#stream/0
AND
Monsanto’s Fingerprints All Over Newsweek’s Opinion Piece, a Hit on Organic Food

https://www.ecowatch.com/monsanto-propaganda-newsweek-2528277875.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b10081a82c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b10081a82c-86095421

8) Michael Colby: GMO corn to blame for soaring pesticide use
https://vtdigger.org/2018/02/04/michael-colby-gmo-corn-blame-soaring-pesticide-use/

9) Climate activist Michael Foster sentenced to three years in prison (two deferred) for shutting off Keystone tar sands pipeline in North Dakota
http://www.shutitdown.today/press_release_2_6_18
"​Valve Turner Michael Foster was sentenced to three years in prison—with two suspended, meaning he serves a year—for shutting down the Keystone XL pipeline. He did this after coming to the realization that absolutely no one in power, nor those claiming to address climate change, is acting with the urgency necessary to confront the climate emergency we all find ourselves in.
Michael didn’t act alone. On October 11, 2016, the Valve Turners embarked on a coordinated action, stopping the flow of all five major pipelines carrying tar sands into the United States from Canada by closing their valves. Michael and his comrades took these steps, knowing the consequences, not just out of frustration, but also out of necessity."​
AND
Climate 'Hero' Gets Three-Year Prison Sentence for Shutting Down Tar Sands Pipeline

https://www.ecowatch.com/tar-sands-pipeline-2532138668.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421

10) 5 Recent Victories for the Oceans
https://www.ecowatch.com/ocean-victories-2526915856.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5e6cfce472-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5e6cfce472-86095421
AND
3 Reasons to Be Hopeful About Our P​lanet in 2018

https://www.ecowatch.com/reasons-to-be-hopeful-2526591981.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f5a5b161b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f5a5b161b9-86095421
AND
It’s Time to Raise the Reefs

https://www.ecowatch.com/its-time-to-raise-the-reefs-2528897812.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9ef44ac95d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9ef44ac95d-86095421

11) Geoengineering Carries ‘Large Risks’ for the Natural World, Studies Show
https://www.ecowatch.com/geoengineering-risks-2527748311.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5e6cfce472-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5e6cfce472-86095421

12) How Can We Help Put a Human Face on Climate Change?
https://www.ecowatch.com/human-face-climate-change-2526043460.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f5a5b161b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f5a5b161b9-86095421

13) Is a Wave of UK Public Money About to Enable New Nuclear Plants?
https://www.ecowatch.com/nuclear-plants-uk-2527676949.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f5a5b161b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f5a5b161b9-86095421

14) Major Increase in EV Charging Stations Across U.S.
https://www.ecowatch.com/ev-charging-stations-2530808186.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9ef44ac95d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9ef44ac95d-86095421
AND
Are Electric Vehicles Finally Taking Off? Here's What You Need to Now

https://www.ecowatch.com/electric-vehicles-taking-off-2530234560.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=86aad606b9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-86aad606b9-86095421

15) Oil Spill From Sanchi May Have Reached Japan
https://www.ecowatch.com/sanchi-oil-spill-japan-2530801261.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9ef44ac95d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9ef44ac95d-86095421
AND
Microplastics Pose Major Problems for Ocean Giants

https://www.ecowatch.com/microplastics-marine-life-2531600683.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421

16) Water Scarcity Threat to India and South Africa
https://www.ecowatch.com/water-scarcity-threat-2528042668.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b10081a82c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b10081a82c-86095421
AND
Cape Town's 'Day Zero' Looms as Dam Levels Drop

https://www.ecowatch.com/cape-town-water-crisis-day-zero-2530228781.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0c919a2b95-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0c919a2b95-86095421
AND
Cape Town Pushes Back 'Day Zero'

https://www.ecowatch.com/cape-town-water-crisis-2531634172.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421
AND
5 Million Gallons of Freshwater Used to Frack Just One Well

https://www.ecowatch.com/fracking-water-use-2530261256.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0c919a2b95-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0c919a2b95-86095421

17) Puerto Rico Plans to Privatize PREPA as Critics Warn of 'Maximum Amount of Corruption and a Minimal Amount of Electricity'
https://www.ecowatch.com/puerto-rico-prepa-2527986613.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b10081a82c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b10081a82c-86095421

18) ExxonMobil Releases Climate Impact Report
https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-climate-report-2531615968.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421
AND
Science Committee Hearing Targets Cancer Scientists, Betrays Public Interest

https://www.ecowatch.com/iarc-monsanto-glyphosate-2531856246.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=b60e851a56-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-b60e851a56-86095421
AND
A Six-Step Guide to Combat the Fossil Fuel Industry's Climate Lies

https://www.ecowatch.com/combat-climate-myths-2531934384.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421
AND
Paris Considers Suing the Fossil Fuel Industry

https://www.ecowatch.com/divesting-from-fossil-fuels-2531946046.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421

19) Europe's Offshore Wind Capacity Grew a Stunning 25% in 2017
https://www.ecowatch.com/offshore-wind-europe-2017-2531912122.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421
AND
Solar Jobs Fall for First Time Since 2010

https://www.ecowatch.com/solar-jobs-us-2532136738.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=5cd59219ba-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-5cd59219ba-86095421

20) "When The Last Tree Stands Alone" by Climbing PoeTree in concert with The Pachamama Alliance (short video)
https://youtu.be/6vhjV6kWCnM

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock
Meeting
Saturday, February 10, 2-5 PM

2nd Saturday of each month:
2-3:30 pm Divestment & Public Banking
3:30-5 pm Main Meeting
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.solidarity@gmail.com

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting

Monday, February 19, 7-9 PM
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Rebuild Green Expo

February 23, 10-7
Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Building

Free

This expo will provide a great opportunity for rebuilders, the community, and community organizers to learn more about what each other are doing, how best to collaborate on the rebuild and what support is still needed. The morning session will consist of educational presentations and breaks outs for community organizers, while the afternoon will be open to the public with tabling from local organizations. Check out more details here.

Community Seed Exchange
Sat.
Feb. 24 (the last Saturday every month)

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network Meeting - SoCo CAN!
Monday, April 30 ​, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center
Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
Join the new Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCAN.

Volunteer Opportunities

• We are looking for a mailing list of taquerias and Mexican restaurants to send a letter about GMOs in their corn products.
If you can help us find a list please send it to us.

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.  We especially need help covering Petaluma, Cotati and Rohnert Park.

• Video editing help is always needed - even one hour would help

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

Can you help us upload some video clips to our Youtube page?

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.