EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - May 28, 2021

1 view

Emerald

May 28, 2021, 10:07:10 AM5/28/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles where they are already posted.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Airships for city hops could cut flying’s CO2 emissions by 90%
"Bedford-based blimp maker unveils short-haul routes such as Liverpool-Belfast that it hopes to serve by 2025."

Charleston city leaders approve climate action plan

Students persuade council to take climate action
"South Whidbey High School students led the charge at a Langley City Council meeting last week."

Renewable Energy Growth Rate Up 45% Worldwide In 2020; IEA Sees 'New Normal'

Fisherman in Kenya swap petrol outboard motors for electric engines (video)

LOCAL REPORTS
‘Megadrought’ persists in western U.S., as another extremely dry year develops
"The long-running dry stretch rivals anything in the last 1200 years, a sign of climate-change induced "aridification."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Gensus and Bioheuris to Develop non-GMO Herbicide-Resistant Cotton Using Gene Editing
CRISPR gene editing is GMO but far, far worse!

Bayer Loses Fight Over Chemicals EU Blamed for Killing Bees

Ecological Mystery Unravels, With Toxic Pesticide Use at the Center

We Just Got a Big Win in Court Against a Pesticide Linked to Harming Kids’ Brains
"Children and farmworkers may soon be spared from a toxic pesticide linked to lifelong intellectual disabilities. On April 29, a federal appeals court sided with Earthjustice and its clients, and ordered the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to either ban all food uses of chlorpyrifos, or figure out how to regulate it in a way that protects those vulnerable populations."

Many seeds in the U.S. come precoated with neonicotinoids, one of the most common insecticides in the world.
"The chemicals are at the heart of what many are calling the “insect apocalypse.”

Mexico Wants to Import Non-GMO Corn and US Farmers Say They Can Deliver It

FOSSIL FUELS
Shell Loses Climate Case That May Set Precedent for Big Oil

Canadian Banks Have an Outsized Impact on Global Fossil Fuel Financing

Back to the well
https://searchlightnm.org/fossil-fuels-fund-new-mexicos-politics-and-state-budget-thats-a-problem/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email
"Oil and gas funds everything from campaigns to government functions in New Mexico, complicating the state’s transition away from fossil fuels."

Exxon uses Big Tobacco's playbook to downplay the climate crisis, Harvard study finds

Most coal plants built today are financed by China – it's a problem for the climate and why US-China talks are essential
The US and China take turns being the worst in all the ways that create a climate catastrophe.

To Build Back Better, We Must End Fossil Fuel Racism

G7 agrees to stop international funding for coal

PIPELINES
The Water Protector Spring is coming by Winona LaDuke

A pipeline is threatening their homeland. Indigenous women are fighting back.

Winona LaDuke: Shut Down Line 5 “Eviction” events on May 12 - 13th in Mackinaw City, MI (video)

Indigenous Women Lead the Movement to Stop Line 3 Pipeline: “This is Everything We Have”
"For seven years, Indigenous organizations, primarily led by women, and allied environmental groups have taken every route possible to stop oil company Enbridge’s Line 3 pipeline."

Oil Giant Enbridge Defies Line 5 Pipeline Shutdown Order, Faces Profit Seizures

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Farms' air pollution contributes to almost 18K deaths in US annually: study

Who’s Making — and Funding — the World’s Plastic Trash?
"ExxonMobil, Dow, Barclays, and more top lists in a new report ranking the companies behind the single-use plastic crisis."

WAKE UP CALL
Analysis: China’s carbon emissions grow at fastest rate for more than a decade

There is No Climate Justice Without Racial Justice (video)
"This past year has put a spotlight on the climate emergency and racial injustice. Concern for the state of the environment has never been greater. Thanks to Black Lives Matter and related justice movements, voices that have been tragically sidelined for too long are finally breaking through. But still, some of the most fervent activists treat these as separate struggles."

Is Climate Change Confusing the Cicadas?

"Zombie fires" detected in Alaska and Canada, set to increase as climate warms
"Zombie fires are blazes that ignite and burn in one season and then smolder through the winter by slowly combusting within peat and other soils, emitting smoke but little or no flames. Then they reemerge during the next spring, erupting into flames once again."

Climate crisis: CO2 levels rise to highest point since evolution of humans

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

A Job for the Climate Era: Chief Heat Officer
"Miami experienced record-breaking heat last summer that led to dozens of deaths. This summer, the city will have its first-ever "Chief Heat Officer" to take on the problem of high temperatures and help people get relief."

The Best Protection For Forests? The People Who Live In Them.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/25032021/the-best-protection-for-forests-the-people-who-live-in-them/
"Indigenous and tribal peoples play a critical role as guardians of forest ecosystems, a United Nations report finds."

DIRECT ACTIONS
School climate strikes resume around Australia with more to come

Fire Drill Fridays: Fossil Fuel Racism
"Jane Fonda, Colette Pichon Battle of Gulf Coast Center for Law & Policy, Joe McNeil of SAGE Development Authority, and Tim Donaghy of Greenpeace USA in a powerful discussion on how fossil fuels depend on and drive racism."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
I’ve spent 8 years campaigning for the oceans: here’s what I wish more people understood
https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/industrial-fishing-vegan-social-justice/
"Easy answers can be tempting, but oversimplifying the ocean crisis can do more harm than good."

New culture war: the meat you eat
https://www.axios.com/food-climate-culture-wars-214118ef-6cc3-487a-9a21-ef5648ca8a81.html
"The food system, including raising cattle for consumption, accounts for greater than 30% of worldwide emissions of heat-trapping gases. How to reduce those emissions is an increasingly urgent question as the world remains off track to meet the temperature targets set in the Paris agreement."

Climate change: No gas boilers to be sold by 2025 to reach net zero

Moving Toward a Circular Economy in NYC
"A circular economy is based on the principles of designing out waste, keeping products and materials in use, and regenerating natural systems."

Feeding cows a few ounces of seaweed daily could sharply reduce their contribution to climate change
A small piece of seaweed every day is an easy and nutritious solution to the methane problem from cows and other farm animals.

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Why We Should Embrace Regenerative Gardening

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.