EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - November 12, 2020

1 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Emerald

não lida,
12 de nov. de 2020, 22:28:4512/11/2020
para Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
IEA: Renewables on Track to Become Largest Source of Global Electricity in Five Years

Environmental Film Festival
November 12-18; Many of the films are free.

LOCAL REPORTS
Fracking Likely Triggered Earthquakes in California a Few Miles From the San Andreas Fault

Despite What the Logging Industry Says, Cutting Down Trees Isn’t Stopping Catastrophic Wildfires

Ecologist Says the USFS Needs To Get Out of the Way in Wake of Massive Fires

Prescribed burn planned for Bradford Mountain in Dry Creek Valley

Help Shape Petaluma's Future
Would you like to help shape the future of our community by giving input on decisions like housing, land use, the environment, community character, and more? Now is your chance to get involved!
We are looking for a group of 15 Petaluma residents to form our General Plan Advisory Committee - a group that will meet monthly through 2021 and 2022 to help shape our city’s roadmap for growth for the next 15 years! We are seeking community members who can offer diverse perspectives. Interested in joining us?
Applications are being accepted now through December 7 - CLICK HERE for more information.
Don’t forget the General Plan Community Survey is open through November 29! Participate at PlanPetaluma.org.

Petaluma's Commitment To Zero Waste
Energy and natural resources are used to make everything we buy. When products are landfilled after use, some of the energy and resources that went into the products is wasted. Our City is committed to diverting waste from landfills to help support our planet and community. For this reason, our partnership with our waste hauler is very important!
Recology Sonoma Marin has served Petaluma since 2018. In less than 2 years, they have made major contributions to our health and safety and have become an integral part of our community. Programs like their industry-leading recycling and commercial composting, clean vehicles (which will eventually run from biogas captured at our Ellis Creek Water Recycling Facility!), and more have helped keep our City at the forefront of zero waste efforts.
CLICK HERE to learn more about Recology, our partnership, and what it means for you on garbage day.

Take Part In Shaping Sonoma County's Priorities
Would you like to see Sonoma County invest more in projects to reduce greenhouse gas? Do you think too few or perhaps too many County resources are being put toward reducing homelessness? Where would you like to see the County be in terms of housing development five years from now?
Residents from throughout Sonoma County are invited to take part in addressing these and other important community questions beginning next week as part of community-wide discussions focused on developing Sonoma County’s Strategic Plan for the next five years.
CLICK HERE to learn more.

Time To Clean Up!
The completion of our river dredging has left us with a clear view of trash for clean up at Shollenberger Park - easy pickings for those who want to help keep our riverfront beautiful and our wildlife safe!
We are partnering with the Friends of the Petaluma River and the Petaluma Wetlands Alliance to remove this trash before the rain comes.
CLICK HERE to sign up for a volunteer shift!

Help From on High: Satellites Play Key Role in Fighting California Wildfires

BAYER/MONSANTO
Bayer makes 'substantial progress' in Roundup cancer lawsuits, mediator says

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
'Major Victory': Federal Court Rejects FDA Approval of 'Frankenfish'
Big happy dance for GMO activists!  OSC worked actively against GMO salmon for many years.

FOSSIL FUELS
Toronto Dominion Bank

‘Their greed is gonna kill us’: Indian Country fights against more fracking

PIPELINES
Minnesota’s New Climate Justice Leaders
"In Minnesota, environmental and Indigenous advocates are looking to elected officials to bolster their fight against an oil pipeline."

Court Halts Key Permits for Mountain Valley Pipeline

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Study: Plastic Pollution Increases Ocean Acidification

WAKE UP CALL
World's Latest Climate Refugees Lived in Guatemalan Village Destroyed by Hurricane Eta

Logging Will Do Nothing to Help Us Out of This Mess

Forever 21?
"Over the last few years, the pendulum is swinging back hard with large projects proposing high volumes of industrial logging under the guise of “thinning”, “restoration”, and “collaboration”. Further, fire suppression, overgrazing, and other forms of mismanagement remain the norm. Even with the Screens in place to protect them, old growth doesn’t come back in 25 years."

Malaysia’s Indigenous people question timber sustainability
"Communities in state of Sarawak on Borneo say forest is being felled without their consent and still being certified as sustainable."

What Is Our Relationship With Nature?

Tropical Storm Theta Is Record-Breaking 29th Storm of 2020

New England Is Rattled by Strongest Earthquake Since 1976

Farmers Are Depleting the Ogallala Aquifer Because the Government Pays Them to Do So

The Climate Crisis Is Dividing Generations and Households

American environmentalism’s racist roots have shaped global thinking about conservation

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

The 'hunger' to thwart Big Timber

It's time we realised social movements are more than just a warm-up act

Learning to Strike and Win

Electrifying Homes And Cars Could Save The Climate -- And $2,500 Per U.S. Household
"New research shows that the U.S. can rapidly decarbonize with existing technology and no real lifestyle changes."

How Can We Comprehend the Climate Crisis?

DIRECT ACTIONS
‘Hypocrites and greenwash’: Greta Thunberg blasts leaders over climate crisis
"Leaders are happy to set targets for decades ahead, but flinch when immediate action is needed, she says."

Greta Thunberg Hears Your Excuses. She Is Not Impressed.
"If one person stops eating meat and dairy it doesn’t make much difference. But it’s not what one person does. This is about something much bigger. Some studies have done testing on four different conditions. The first group of households was told, “You should reduce your energy consumption because you can save money.” To the second group they said, “You should reduce your energy consumption because of the environment.” The third, it was like, “Think of your children’s future.” The fourth group was told how their energy consumption compared to their neighbors’. It became a competition. The fourth group more than others reduced their energy consumption. It shows how we are social animals. We copy each other’s behavior. I didn’t stop flying or become vegan because I wanted to reduce my personal carbon footprint. It would be much more useful for me to fly around the world advocating for climate action. But it’s all about sending a signal that we are in a crisis and that in a crisis you change behavior. If no one breaks this chain of “I won’t do this, because no one else is doing anything” and “Look at them. They’re doing much worse than I am” — if everyone keeps on going like that, then no one will change. We won’t understand that we are in a crisis. If people don’t understand that we are in a crisis, they won’t put pressure on people in power. If there’s no pressure on people in power, then they can continue to get away with doing basically nothing. But if you fully understand the science, then you know what you as an individual have to do. You know then that you have a responsibility."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Hanging turbines under bridges could power 500 homes

Scientists at Work: Sloshing Through Marshes To See How Birds Survive Hurricanes

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
A clever, garden-filled facelift revives a derelict building in Denmark

Sunderland’s riverfront to house UK’s first carbon-neutral community

How a green-roofed shopping center is redefining ‘reuse’

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.
Responder a todos
Responder ao autor
Encaminhar
0 nova mensagem