EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - July 18, 2019

Emerald

Jul 18, 2019, 5:26:24 AM7/18/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

There will be no Earth Action meeting or any OSC meetings or events in August.

OSC is on summer break in August.

We will continue the weekly newsletter.

BREAKTHROUGH!
UPDATE: "USFWS pulled their application for their poison drop on the Farallones because of their clearly perceived lack of supportive votes from Coastal Commissioners....so we won, at least for now. Cea Higgins, Executive Director, Coastwalk/CCTA."
Newsom: Soaring Number Of Fracking Permits Led To State Top Oil Regulator’s Firing
"Gov. Gavin Newsom defended the firing of California’s top oil and gas regulator Friday, strongly voicing his opposition to fracking and to the future of the controversial practice in the state."

FEMA awards $250,000 grant for Sonoma County schools to prepare for natural disasters

BAYER/MONSANTO
Lawsuits Against Bayer Are Sprouting Like Weeds

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Corporations can legally put carcinogens in our food without warning labels. Here's why

Farmers taking the hint on glyphosate
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/farmers-taking-the-hint-on-glyphosate-512673971.html

FOSSIL FUELS
More Signs That Natural Gas Can’t Compete With Renewables on Cost

WAKE UP CALL
Hydrogen station explodes, Toyota halts sales of fuel cell cars, is this the end?
"Despite battery-electric vehicles being several times more efficient, Hyundai said that they are only “making electric plug-ins until hydrogen fuel cell vehicles take hold” and Toyota has invested billions into hydrogen while it has yet to launch an all-electric vehicle. These companies have lobbied for strong subsidies for those vehicles in many markets and in some, they are even getting more subsidies than battery-electric vehicles."
Chevron Has Spilled 800,000 Gallons of Crude Oil and Water Into a California Canyon Since May
https://www.ecowatch.com/chevron-spilled-crude-oil-and-water-california-2639195275.html

As Floods Keep Coming, Cities Pay Residents to Move

How the Climate Crisis Is Pushing Central Americans Out of Their Homes Toward the U.S. (video)

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Wall Street Beware: The Public Banking Movement Is Coming for You
https://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3OU4E9j%2Fp6vCaopkr1knKtG7zDo65%2Bbb

I work in the environmental movement. I don’t care if you recycle.
The climate crisis is much bigger than individual actions can solve.  We must hold the perpetrators responsible and make real changes at the source of the problem.

The Climate Crisis Has Made Breathing Smoke Normal in Pacific Northwest
It’s New York vs. California in a New Climate Race. Who Will Win?
We will all lose if these targets are not starting immediately!

Europe ‘could get 10 times’ its electricity needs from onshore wind, study says

How movements can use drama to seize the public imagination
https://wagingnonviolence.org/2019/07/movements-drama-seize-public-imagination-sunrise/

Talk of Managing Earth as an Asset Wins Over Congressional Climate Change Skeptic
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2019/06/13/528948.htm

DIRECT ACTIONS
Extinction Rebellion Shut Down London To Shock People Into Facing The Reality Of Climate Change. That Was Just The Beginning.

Louisiana’s Cancer Alley Residents Take the Fight for Environmental Justice on the Road

Young Ugandan climate activists join 'school strike' push

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
How Your Diet Contributes to Nutrient Pollution and Dead Zones in Lakes and Bays

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Homes With Solar Panels Sell for 4.1% More
Even the real estate industry is promoting solar panels.

Take Action - Get Involved!

July 1-31
Join Millions Of People Worldwide In Plastic Free July!
We urge everyone to join the global challenge at http://PlasticFreeJuly.org where participants are counted and receive information on how to reduce plastic consumption.
Download our Plastic Challenge Action Picker and find local campaign information at: http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/PlasticFreeJuly.
Find our local Plastic Free July Campaign on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/2195179703937948/.

Monday, July 22, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Presents

Fight Climate Change with Zero Waste Strategies
Presented by Portia Sinnott, Zero Waste Action - Sonoma County & Zero Waste USA

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Saturday, July 27 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop

9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Monday, July 29, 7-9 PM

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: June
Notetaker: Eve

Wednesday, July 31, 8 AM - 5 PM

North Bay Zero Waste Symposium

Presentations on how to achieve waste diversion goals, the inner workings of the resource recovery industry, and more
Keynote speakers: Recology CEO Mike Sangiacomo and international zero waste lifestyle extraordinaire Bea Johnson
SOMO Village Events Center, Rohnert Park

Space is limited, register here: https://zerowastenorthbay.org/

Wednesday, August 7 (every first Wednesday) No Dogs
Sonoma County Permaculture Guild Monthly Potluck

Family Friendly & Fun. Swap seeds/plants, & explore the PSC
Permaculture Skills Center, 2185 Gravenstein Hwy S, Sebastopol, California 95472
For more info contact: permacultureskillscenter.org or 707-824-0836

Monday, September 16, 7-9 PM (There is NO Earth Action meeting in August)
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting

OSC will be discussing our Earth Action campaigns and event plans for next year.  Bring your ideas and proposals to this meeting.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Sept. 20-27

Millions of school strikers have shown us they’re serious about climate action. Adults, will you join our youth?
https://globalclimatestrike.net/

Volunteer

• Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.

   Download event flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.

   Let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• Experienced builder to help us build raised bed garden boxes.

• Help delivering them if you have a truck.

• Help editing our teach-in videos.

• We need an email list of bars and restaurants in Sonoma County.
• Make phone calls from home for 1-2 hours every other month.

   No skill needed other than a pleasant phone demeanor.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.