EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - April 30, 2020

1 view

Emerald

Apr 30, 2020, 7:08:26 AM4/30/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Dutch officials reveal measures to cut emissions after court ruling

Wall Street Is Bending to Pressure to Halt Arctic-Oil Loans

Big Banks Pull Financing, Prepare To Seize Assets From Collapsing Oil and Gas Industry
https://www.desmogblog.com/2020/04/13/big-banks-pulling-financing-oil-and-gas-industry

LOCAL REPORTS
Close to Home: New gas stations conflict with climate crisis

Environmentalism Goes Livestream

FOSSIL FUELS
Ontario's energy plans a gas, gas, gas

PIPELINES
Criminalizing Protests Is a Dangerous Idea

Local-Level Fossil Fuel Fights Face Violent Retaliation From Industry

The Fight Against Minnesota's Line 3 Pipeline: Bill McKibben and Winona LaDuke in Conversation

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Microplastics Found in Antarctic Sea Ice Samples for First Time, Scientists Say

WAKE UP CALL
Permian Basin Methane Emissions Found to Be More Than 2x Previous Estimates

The World is Losing 9 Percent of Its Insects Every Decade, Study Finds
https://www.newsweek.com/world-9-percent-insects-decade-study-1499964

The massive environmental impact of the U.S.’s constant readiness for war

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Wildfires Can Reduce Biodiversity. Can Biodiversity Be Used to Reduce Wildfires?

Don’t Bail Out Oil and Gas — Use the Money for Environmental Cleanup Instead

Releasing Herds of Animals Into the Arctic Could Help Fight Climate Change, Study Finds

Bill McKibben on Earth Day at 50: We Must Stop Subsidizing Fossil Fuel Industry Wrecking the Planet (video)

For climate activists, coronavirus lockdown means more time to organize

Climate fix will require cooperation

Amid Historic Oil Collapse, an Opportunity to Accelerate Clean Transportation

Coronavirus recovery plan 'must tackle climate change'

Stuck in the Past on the Climate

A Look at the Oil Industry’s Favorite Climate Solutions

Is Carbon Capture and Storage a Climate Solution or a Pyramid Scheme?

This Earth Day, Stop the Money Pipeline

DIRECT ACTIONS
Greta Thunberg: Climate Activists Have Not Lost Hope Amid Pandemic. We’re Changing How We Organize. (video)

Chileans Who Took to Streets Against Inequality & Climate Crisis Say Virus Lockdowns Won’t Stop Them (video)

Oxford University bans investment in fossil fuels after student campaigns

300 Groups Call on Congress to Bail Out People, Not Polluters

Extinction Rebellion Podcast Episode 9 – XR takes on the Finance Sector
https://rebellion.earth/2020/04/21/finance-sector-extinction-rebellion-podcast/

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Halve the Farmland, Save Nature, Feed the World

This Appalachian Collective Has Launched Its Own “Green Stimulus”

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Beavers could help in adapting to climate change
https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/04/beavers-could-help-in-adapting-to-climate-change/

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.