EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 2, 2020

Emerald

Oct 2, 2020, 8:12:52 AM10/2/20
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Mayors of 12 Major Global Cities Home to 36 Million People Make Unified Fossil Fuel Divestment Pledge
"The declaration sends a loud clear message to the fossil fuel industry," said 350.org executive director May Boeve, whose advocacy group has spearheaded demands for a green, just recovery. "As we watch wildfires burn in the U.S. and devastating floods in parts of Africa, we know that fossil fuels are not a safe investment: the sector is too volatile to be deeply vulnerable, it is time to divest from fossil fuels and invest in the green and just recovery of the future."

Germany's New Climate Charter: What Will It Change?
"The German Economics Minister Peter Altmaier made history last week by announcing the "historic compromise" of a new climate charter for Europe's economic powerhouse. Days later, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen announced the EU's Green New Deal climate goals would become even more ambitious, with a plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions in the bloc by 55% by 2030."

Countries Pledge to Reverse Destruction of Nature After Missing Biodiversity Targets

LOCAL REPORTS
A better way to help Californians survive wildfires: Focus on homes, not trees

AGAIN – Past Logging Makes a fire worse

Protecting Your Home From Wildfire

Wet Homes Don't Burn (short video)
For information only and not to promote a product.  This method is tried and true - it works.

Fanning the Flames

Don’t believe self-serving messengers. Logging will not prevent destructive wildfires
Dozens of little-known California oil spills have earned companies millions of dollars

Community destruction during extreme wildfires is a home ignition problem

To Prevent California Wildfires, We Need to Have Some Uncomfortable Conversations

Strong California Gas Demand Unlikely to Return, as Even Refineries Go Renewable
"The shift comes at a time when the state is facing a serious reckoning over climate change, driven by emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. In the face of historically destructive wildfires exacerbated by global warming, elected officials and environmental activists in California are intensifying calls for a significant and rapid shift away from oil and gas."

Newsom Directs California to End Sales of New Gas-Powered Cars and Trucks

SMART to hold listening forum for Healdsburg as north county presses for timeline

'Wildfires Are Climate Fires': How to Discuss the Climate Crisis

BAYER/MONSANTO
Bayer Coordinated with U.S. Government on Pressure Campaign to Stop Thailand from Banning Glyphosate

FOSSIL FUELS
Exxon Touts Carbon Capture as a Climate Fix, but Uses It to Maximize Profit and Keep Oil Flowing
"Sprawled across the arid expanse of southwestern Wyoming is one of the world's largest carbon capture plants, a hulking jumble of pipes, compressors and exhaust flues operated by ExxonMobil. The oil giant has long promoted its investments in carbon capture technology—a method for reducing greenhouse gas emissions—as evidence that it is addressing climate change, but it rarely discusses what happens to the carbon captured at the Shute Creek Treating Facility. The plant's main function is to process natural gas from a nearby deposit. But in order to purify and sell the gas, Exxon must first strip out carbon dioxide, which comprises about two-thirds of the mix of gases extracted from nearby wells. The company found a revenue stream for this otherwise useless, climate-warming byproduct: It began capturing the CO2 and selling it to other companies, which injected it into depleted oil fields to help produce more oil... Carbon capture and storage, or CCS, is the rarest of policy breeds: a climate change solution with bipartisan support. Republicans promote the technology as a central piece of any GOP climate plan. Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee for president, has endorsed it, too... "Using public money to subsidize carbon dioxide enhanced oil recovery doesn't seem like a climate solution from where I'm sitting," said Doukas, of Oil Change International. "By doing that, we're enriching the industry that's done the most to delay climate action. And Exxon is the perfect example."

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
The Myth About Recycling Plastic? It Works
"The oil industry makes $400 billion a year producing plastic and is discussing how to increase investment in plastic production given that demand for oil for cars is down. As the truth about recycling comes out, states and environmentalists struggle to see if the broken system can be fixed at all. While they do that, plastic production is predicted to triple by 2050."

WAKE UP CALL
World's Richest One Percent Are Producing More Than Double the Carbon Emissions as the Bottom 50 Percent
"A new report from Oxfam found that the wealthiest one percent of the world produced a carbon footprint that was more than double that of the bottom 50 percent of the world, The Guardian reported. The study examined 25 years of carbon dioxide emissions and wealth inequality from 1990 to 2015. "

Connector of the Gulf South, 15 Years and Counting
"We are anchoring the Movement for Black Lives work that's centered around a national black climate agenda, and part of that will include in-depth communications to bring climate into the realm of Black lives—into communities that have been marginalized and targeted by our colonizing system. Part of our work is to begin a process of acknowledging the trauma that comes with being a person of color in this country, being in an environmental justice community and being poisoned every day, and going through a climate disaster. We are on the frontlines."

Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years
"Between 2000 and 2013, Earth lost an area of undisturbed ecosystems roughly the size of Mexico."

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
What Does Equitable Climate Policy Actually Look Like?
"The fact that Black and brown people suffer most under environmental degradation is not news. But the dilemmas remain in the environmental justice community as they have for many years: How do we lessen the climate burden on Black and oppressed communities? How can we achieve equitable and drastic emissions reductions and transform our entire economy before the window of opportunity to prevent irreversible climate change closes?"

The Power of Inclusive, Intergenerational Climate Activism

Out with predatory capitalism, in with a Life Economy

How did wind power just become America's biggest renewable energy?

What’s Stopping Us From Stopping Climate Change?

DIRECT ACTIONS
Student Climate Protesters Urge Their Universities to Go Carbon Neutral

Extinction Rebellion Returns to UK Streets
"The group kicked off 10 days of planned civil disobedience on Tuesday with protests in London, Manchester and Cardiff."

Massive 'Climate Clock' Urging Governments to #ActInTime Unveiled on Metronome in New York City
"Climate Change is already here. This clock is not an alarm clock saying, in seven years it will ring and we need to wake up! It's more like a stopwatch already running that we have to keep pace with," explained Gan Golan, the project originator. "We need to take action today, tomorrow, and the day after that. Let's get moving. Every second counts. We need to act in time."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
The Invisible Vegan (documentary video)osc
"By looking back at historical injustices, this documentary examines the modern day consequences of unhealthy processed food in the black community."

Failing Us: From A Black Woman Who Doesn’t Trust Science
"Jasmine Leyva, director of The Invisible Vegan, unpacks the complicated relationship between people of color and the climate movement."

'Regenerative Agriculture and the Soil Carbon Solution': New Paper Outlines Vision for Climate Action
"A vast amount of data on the carbon sequestration potential of agricultural soils has been published, including from Rodale Institute, and recent findings are starting to reinforce the benefits of regenerative agricultural practices in the fight against the climate crisis."

Can Mushrooms Provide a Vegan, Green Alternative to Animal Leather?

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Pathway to Paris Reminds Us That ‘People Have the Power’(music video)
"The eight-minute video features musicians and activists from 24 countries, 38 cities and six continents singing "People Have the Power" by Pathway to Paris supporter Patti Smith and the late Fred Sonic Smith... Joining Foon and Smith in the video to endorse this message are a wide range of celebrities, activists and ordinary people including Patti Smith, Joan Baez, Tony Hawk, Cyndi Lauper, Dr. Vandana Shiva and Bill McKibben."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
  (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.