SONOMA COUNTY CLIMATE ACTIVIST NETWORK MEETING Monday, July 29, 7:00-9:00 PM. at PJC

SoCoCAN!

Jul 25, 2019, 4:21:15 AM7/25/19
to Earth Action Campaign

SONOMA COUNTY CLIMATE ACTIVIST NETWORK MEETING

Monday, July 29, 7:00-9:00 PM.

Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401

Facilitator: June

Notetaker: Eve

Scroll down for notes from last meeting on April 29

Every group in the network - please send one or more people to represent your group for networking and to get support for your campaigns.

Proposed Agenda

7:00 Introductions: name and group with brief personal check-in (1 minutes each)

7:10 Agenda Review

7:15 Housekeeping items

    No phone calls

    Email, Twitter & Facebook are covered

    No finances

    Our domain name is expiring in a few days but we don't have a website

        A website was started but not finished

        Domain name is likely to be available again if we finish the website

7:20 Group Reports, including requests for support (5 minutes per group)

7:50 Discussion on how to support groups and campaigns until next meeting

8:00 Final decision regarding summit proposal for Monday, October 7

    PJC is reserved 6-9 PM

8:10 Planning for summit

        Agenda & Format

            Use the same one again?

        Facilitator

        Scribe

            Write key information on the board such as group names present

        Notetaker

        Timekeeper

        Potluck

        Set up & Clean up

        Outreach

            Let's bring our network back together for this

            Let's bring in new climate activist groups and individuals who are not part of SoCoCAN!

        Publicity

            Flyer, social media, mailings

            Press release?

8:35 Date, facilitator and notetaker for December meeting

    Do we want to meet on December 30 (5th Monday)?  Any Monday in December is available at the PJC.

    Facilitator and notetaker:

    Rotating roles come to once a year - is it your turn?

    If you have never filled these roles it's your turn now

    The facilitator drafts an agenda proposal in advance of the meeting (with help and support)

8:45 Breakout and networking

9:00 End of meeting / optional socializing

Notes from last meeting:

SONOMA COUNTY CLIMATE ACTIVIST NETWORK MEETING NOTES

April 29, 2019 at 7 00 PM

Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

Facilitator – Emerald

Notetaker – Jory

7 00 PM Introductions – name and group with brief personal check-in

Emerald – With Occupy Sonoma County.

Steve – With Climate Reality Leaders.  He is from Sebastopol.

Lisa -  From Sebastopol.  This is her first time here and she is not yet with any group but is very concerned about the environment and wondering how she can help.

Maya – Is a wildlife biologist who works at Earth Island Institute .  Her main interest is focused on forests.

June – Is from Sebastopol and is actively involved in promoting public banking.

Woody – Works at the Climate Protection Center.

Lisa – Is a teacher from Sebastopol.

Jenny – Is involved with Sonoma Solidarity and Standing Rock.

Pete – With 350 Petaluma as well as other organizations and is focused on Climate Emergency Resolutions.

Shelly – Is from Public Banking Santa Rosa.

Kevin –  With Climate Reality Leaders Group and Friends of Climate Action Plan (FoCAP).

Christine – Is with 350 Sonoma.

Terry – Working on land and agricultural use with CAFF.

Anna – Is with 350 Sonoma.

Jory – Is with OSC Earth Action Campaign.

7 10 Agenda Review

7 15 Group Reports, including requests for support (3 minutes each)

June

     Discussed May 1, March in Courthouse Square which will have speakers as well.  She noted that there is the opportunity for tabling as well.

Pete

     The goal setting put together on 4/6 by Climate Emergency Resolutions Petaluma appears to be on the agenda for the City Council meeting on 5/6.   Also a group is forming in Sebastopol which is supportive.  We are working on a draft resolution for the county with a goal set for June to bring to the mayor and city councils to get all cities to work concurrently.

Kevin

    Discussed the all electric ordinance and having the city go evergreen which will be supporting the Climate Emergency Resolution.  That is the goal, however we sense a push back on the all electric ordinance.  It is ready to go and there is no reason it can’t be done and in fact, it needs to be done asap.  I’m with the Climate Reality Leaders Group, and we have access to the slide presentation that Al Gore put together.  Contact me if you are interested.

Anna

     We had a very successful time at Santa Rosa J C with many interested young people which is a nice beginning we’d like to see more of.  The Green New Deal Town Hall being put together consists of 14 groups putting a huge event together.  The poster was created by the Sunrise Movement.  Pease get the word out to the community.  It includes presentations by students on 5/15 from  6 00 PM to 8 30 PM at the Santa Rosa Fairgrounds.  Cost is $10 but no one will be turned away.

Terry

     The County is starting to work on a new General Plan.  We’re starting to work with other groups to update plans regarding agricultural and land use elements.  There may be other things coming up that our group will be interested in.

Emerald

     Peter died a few weeks ago so we’re all trying to cover the things he was doing.  It has knocked us down for a bit.  Peter raised all of the money for our group by building raised garden beds which we may not be able to continue with.

     Rebel and Jory tabled at Earth Day and at SRJC.

     The May 6th event for earth friendly eating and climate change is a potluck and teach-in.  The May Meat Challenge starts Wednesday, and we’d like all to participate.  The challenge is for everyone to consider an 80-100% plant-based diet during the month of May.  We also want to consider carbon farming and regenerative agriculture.  The Survey Monkey has been set up for the end of May to get feedback, and those who fill it out get a prize or coupon.  Community Market is co-sponsoring and will be featuring this campaign at both stores.

     The teach in we had in April with Peter Phillips on The Global Power Elite was video-recorded and will be available for those who could not attend.  Emerald will post that on our listserv.

     7/22 we will have a teach in about zero waste.

Emerald sent out personal invites to people who have not been attending network meetings lately - some of them attended.  Emerald handles our social media and the listserv.

Hoai-An started a website that is incomplete.  Can someone work on it?

Neil Young will be at Bottlerock in Napa which is not in our county, but can anyone contact him to say something about climate change?

Kevin

     Would like to have Jay Inslee here.

Julie

     California has a lot of cities looking at public banking.  We formed an alliance that goes from San Diego to Eureka with a powerful forum.  AB857 is a public banking bill asking to start a whole new licensing and mandate procedure.  It passed the assembly and finance committee.  We’re trying to get Santa Rosa to endorse it as many other communities have.  She asked if SoCoCAN would endorse it.  Unanimous consensus to endorse.

Pete

     In terms of getting resolutions passed, what the City Council wants to see are broad endorsements from the public.  We need a way to round up all of us.

Anna

     There is a teacher in Sebastopol that put together an initiative that schools need to teach climate change.

Pete

     Bernie Sanders told them you’ll be working on this your whole life.

Terry

     Wants to follow up with schools in Healdsburg to see what they’re teaching.

7 40 Final Approval of Common Ground Proposal

    Unanimous consensus to approve.

7 50 Approval of GND statement & the next steps

     Re – the Green New Deal we worked on online .  We got to a place we were all able to agree.  What is there left to discuss in terms of next steps for this statement.  Press release?  Send out to someone?  What is our strategy and how can we best support the GND?

Anna

     Number 5 is written to support public banking.  The first job is to talk about it.  We need to get the word out and get accurate information about what it will do to help the people in terms of addressing job and income inequality,

Lisa

     At the same time we need to divest (#7).  We need a think tank to go into neighborhoods and talk to people about what matters.  (#3)  Discuss redefining renewables as well as how it will be financed.

Christine

     On one level, this is about a paradigm shift in people’s perceptions.  We need to put the big picture first and hang onto the details but not fight about it.

June

     In our statement this group can support principle first so as not to lose that.  Some other groups signed on with energy legislation as well.

Kevin

     It seems the GND is dividing the Democratic Party which is a concern.

Maya

     Biomass plants are going up all over the state in different counties, Lassen, etc.  I am working on this issue.

Emerald

     Asked if there is anything more about the GND statement and can an agreement be reached.  Once there is a final approval statement, any group can use it and print it out.

Jenny

     Would like to know if we can put an op ed in the Press Democrat.

Christine

     Suggested putting  it in the Gazette as well.

Emerald

    Called for objections to this as a press release.

June

    Asked how this will impact other groups working on this as well.

Emerald

     The final draft will be sent out as a press release.  She’ll contact and make updates.

Anna

     May need something sooner and also would like to take out some wording.

Kevin

     Noted that it had already been approved in terms of having consensus.

Some minor changes were made with unanimous approval.  We have consensus to go forward with the newly updated version that was posted after the meeting.  Emerald will send this out as a press release next week.

8 05 Campaign Proposals:

      Public Banking Bill AB 857 - presented by Public Banking Santa Rosa (5 minute presentation)

      Stony Point & 116 Arco Gas Station campaign - presented by Jenny & Woody (5 minute presentation)

June

     RE #7 – More support would be great.  Links are on our website – Let’s get Involved.

     Suggestions –

1.    Sign up for email

2.    Endorse public banking

3.    Send messages to local representatives

4.    Speak of public banking as part of GND

5.    Send letters to Governor

6.    Get as many people writing letters as possible

7.    There is an online petition to be signed

Anna

     It makes sense to do it for the County

June

     The bill is written to open up county wide and region wide.

Anna

     The size and number of people involved determines the success.  We need to explain to people why our banks can’t and won’t do what public banking can.  Explain #7 is due to corporations and stockholders,

June

     The County invested in fossil fuel industry.  Now council members are coming to us for solutions.

Jenny

     There is a plan to build a 16 pump gas station on the 116 and Stony Point , 24/7 with 2 car washes.

Woody

     As a resident of Sonoma County, he is inspired to write a letter on the ridiculousness of this proposal in this unincorporated area.  It will have a significant environmental impact.  We have SB100 which it conflicts with.

Jenny

     In February this came to the County Design Review Committee for preliminary design review.  It is not appropriate for a rural area, and it has gone back for a second preliminary design review.  What is important –

1.    Get on the mailing list for upcoming meetings.

2.    Attend meetings.

3.    Write letters on any of the talking points.

Maya

     Can we integrate with another petition. [There are currently two separate petitions].

Jenny

      We can combine these into one petition or continue to use both for now.

June

     Likes the idea of separate petitions.

Woody

     Added that the more people we can get to sign, the better.  SoCoCAN  could help if they signed. [Woody drafted an organizational sign-on letter and Jenny and Woody asked if SoCoCAN could be one of the signatories].

June

     Discussed the time frame for support for gas station proposal.

Pete

     Added that we need to get as many signatures as early as possible.  We may need to revisit zoning codes.

Christine

     How can we get on the list and on May 15th meeting coming up so as many people as possible can get on the petition.

Jenny

     May 15 is only a possibility.  It may take 10 months.

Terry

     Suggested adding an electric vehicle charging station instead as there is a need for rapid charging stations.

8 25 Choose one campaign for network support until July meeting

Woody proposed that we support adopt the public banking proposal, and support the gas station campaign as well. Do we want to support the gas station campaign?

Unanimous consensus to adopt the public banking campaign proposal as our focused network campaign until July meeting.

Unanimous consensus to endorse the gas station campaign and lend as much support to that campaign as we can. The petition was passed around.

Nest meeting bring in other proposals.

8 35 Facilitator and Notetaker for next meeting

June Brashares agreed to facilitate the July meeting with agenda writing help from Emerald.

Shelly agreed to ask someone in her group to take notes.

Note: Shelly did not find a notetaker - we still need a volunteer to fill that role at the July meeting.

8 40 Plans for July and September meetings

Emerald

     Suggested having a summit in July on 2 year anniversary and asking all groups to attend.  We would have a potluck and use the same agenda as we had 2 years ago.

PJC is not available on September 30 so perhaps meet elsewhere or change to October 7.

June

     Suggested we have at the Environmental Center in September since some are gone in July and that we also reach out to young people.

Terry

     Thinks an outdoor gathering won’t work as well at the EC.

Emerald

     Is there any conflict on the first Monday of October?  None.

June

     Would like to have a July potluck and invite young people who haven’t been here.

Emerald

     OK with discussing these ideas further at the meeting in July.  No Objections to this suggestion.

8 50 Breakout and networking

9 00 End of meeting/optional socializing