EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 16, 2020

Emerald

Oct 17, 2020, 11:28:31 AM10/17/20
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
New York says goodbye to 6 dirty power plants and hello to working with communities

Solar is now ‘cheapest electricity in history’, confirms IEA
"The world’s best solar power schemes now offer the “cheapest…electricity in history” with the technology cheaper than coal and gas in most major countries. That is according to the International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2020."

"JPMorgan Chase and other big banks should use their lending power to force cuts in greenhouse gas emissions.
By Daniel Growald, Peter Gill Case and Valerie Rockefeller.
The writers are fifth-generation members of the Rockefeller family."

"GE is ending production on coal-fired power plants and instead are opting for investments in renewable energy."

Delivery E-Bikes Get OK To Use City Streets For Package Drop-Offs
"Companies such as UPS and Fed-Ex can now use the slow-speed, three-wheeled package delivery bikes in the city."

Investors Worth $5 Trillion Set Major Emissions Reduction Targets

LOCAL REPORTS
Scientists didn’t expect wildfires this terrible for another 30 years

North Bay Youth Are Ready to Succeed
"Life has not been easy for Generation Z... They’ve seen fire and rain, for sure, but they’ve also known war, social unrest and the increasingly obvious threat that climate change is about to unleash on them."

County Pushes Its Own Fire-Safety Regulations

California’s new zero-emission vehicle rules face obstacles en route to carbon-neutral future

Wildfires and our Ecology: How can we create defensible space?
"Join Daily Acts For A Free Webinar: Wildfires, Ecology and Creating Defensible Space Featuring The Resilience Landscape Coalition - Thursday, October 29, 6-8 PM"

“BURNED: are trees the new coal?“ (video)
"BURNED: Are Trees the New Coal?" takes a hard look at the latest false solution to climate change: woody biomass. The film tells the story of how biomass has become the alternative-energy savior for the electric power industry. It is a visceral account of the accelerating destruction of our forests for fuel."

Civilian recruits hone firefighting basics as prescribed fire movement swells in Sonoma County
Rotting logs, branches and leaves on the forest floor are not "fuel load".  Nature relies on all stages of life for a balanced ecosystem.

Unique elk in California may be killed under controversial plan
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/09/tule-elk-culled-under-point-reyes-proposal/?fbclid=IwAR0ZE4oIco1FEKpJru3rqefxPeI6a1et-6pLNYDbLZlyXPs0h5gx6bgmeWY
"
The National Park Service’s proposed plan for Point Reyes National Seashore would preserve ranching and cull tule elk within the park’s boundaries."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Roadmap Points Europe Toward Safer, Sustainable Chemicals

FOSSIL FUELS
Large Methane Leaks Soar 32% Despite Lockdowns and Green Pledges

With Bankruptcies Mounting, Faltering Oil and Gas Firms Are Leaving a Multi-billion Dollar Cleanup Bill to the Public
"Amid a record wave of bankruptcies, the U.S. oil and gas industry is on the verge of defaulting on billions of dollars in environmental cleanup obligations."

"ExxonMobil has recently planned to increase its carbon dioxide emissions 17 percent by 2025 while doubling its earnings."

PIPELINES
Federal Regulators Rule Controversial Mountain Valley Pipeline Can Restart Construction

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
3 Major UK Retailers Are Banning Glitter This Christmas Over Environmental Concerns

The House Just Passed Another “Save Our Seas” Act. Here’s Why It Won’t.
“There’s a reason the plastics industry likes this. It’s because they don’t really have to do anything.”

GREEN NEW DEAL
Feeling the Heat: How the Green New Deal lit a fire under the GOP

Nobody Seems to Grasp How Screwed We Are
Warning: Some adult language

WAKE UP CALL
Climate Change Likely Drove Our Ancestors to Extinction, Study Finds

40% of world’s plant species at risk of extinction
"Two in five of the world’s plant species are at risk of extinction as a result of the destruction of the natural world."

The Arctic is in a death spiral. How much longer will it exist?
"The Arctic is unraveling. And it’s happening faster than anyone could have imagined just a few decades ago."

Arctic sea-ice shrinks to near record low extent
"In 1980 the sea ice minimum was 7.5 million sq km.
In 2020 the sea ice minimum was 3.7 million sq km."

Where Can You Move to Avoid the Climate Crisis?

The Climate Crisis Has Already Cost the Great Barrier Reef More Than Half Its Corals

UN: Climate Crisis Has Doubled Natural Disasters in Last 20 Years

Small modular reactors — a radioactive idea
by Helen Caldicott

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Meet the Climate Justice Influencers: The future of environmentalism is intersectional
"Historically, we’ve tended to lift up environmental leaders who were white men, many of whom were openly racist. Young activists of color have been pushing against the whitewashing of environmental issues for years—trying to diversify the community by highlighting the important conservation contributions that people of color have made throughout history. "

Staring down climate despair through kinship
"The concept of kinship with all beings has a long history in religious traditions."

How Unions Can Bridge the Gap Between Climate and Labor Movements

DIRECT ACTIONS
'After All, It's Our Money': Global Climate Campaigners Call for Public Banks to Fund Just Recovery and Green Transition
"Especially in the midst of a health and economic emergency, public money must be used to boost existing solutions that will create new jobs and support the people most impacted."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Climate Finance Hits Hurdle in Greening Meat and Dairy

Can public lands unify divided Americans? An interview with John Leshy

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
  (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.