Indigenous voices on Earth Week, and getting out the vote

Hoai-An

Apr 23, 2020, 10:50:15 AM4/23/20
to Sonoma-NoDAPL, Anti-Racist Allies SC, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition
The cool thing about Earth Week events going virtual is that now you can attend an event from anywhere. Here's a list of some of the Indigenous themed events happening during Earth Week from around the state, plus one GOTV (get out the vote) workshop that looks very cool to me.

Thursday 4/24
  • 2:15-3:15pm: Celebrate Indigenous Voices! Hosted by our CA Capital Region Organizer and colleagues, learn about climate impacts on frontline communities, the intersection between Covid-19 and climate, and how Indigenous women and youth are leading the way. RSVP here for the livestream link.
2020-04-23 Indigenous Voices.png

6:00-7:30pm - Fireside Chats: How to be an Ally to Indigenous People

This fireside chat will honor Indigenous culture and their land and teach participants how to be proper allies to the Indigenous community and how to properly honor the land you walk on. Tune in to our Instagram Live at @climatestrikeca! (Note: This live stream may move to Zoom. It's being organized by a youth group but there have been some difficulties and it may be moved to Zoom.)

If you haven't tried Instagram Live yet, it's a little confusing. First, you must have an Instagram account.

From your phone: Open Instagram. At the start of the event, search for climatestrikeca's Instagram page, and open it. At the start time, the profile pic for climatestrikeca will say LIVE in at the bottom in a small red box. TAP the profile pic to view the live stream.

From your computer, here are some simple instructions. Use Chrome to connect, and you must install a Chrome extension. Instructions: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-watch-instagram-live-feeds-on-your-computer-or-t-1842665495 . Once installed, go to this link: http://instagram.com/climatestrikeca . At the start time, the profile pic for climatestrikeca will say LIVE at the bottom in a small red box. CLICK the profile pic to view the live stream.

Check this page to see if the event changes to a Zoom event:
https://earthweekca.wixsite.com/mysite/earth-week

Friday, 4/24

Here's a Get Out the Vote (GOTV) training that looks great. It's not directly about Indigenous people, but I think it's important. According to Environmental Voter Project, "millions of Americans are already fully persuaded environmentalists; now we just need to change our habits and start voting. Fortunately, changing people's habits is much easier than changing their minds."

Friday 4/25 - 9-9:45am: Help turn nonvoting environmentalists into climate voters! Take an online training led by our allies at the Environmental Voter Project. Members of Mothers Out Front San Francisco who took this training on Monday report that it was super clear and easy--and that it was fun and rewarding to text other environmentalists! After the training, you can jump into calling or texting environmental nonvoters in swing states to encourage them to sign up to vote by mail. RSVP here to get the link. (If you’re not free Friday, choose another day to get trained here.)

1:30-2:30pm - Teach-In + Q&A: Climate Crisis: Impact On and Solutions From Indigenous Peoples

Featuring Amah Mutsun Tribal Youth

This teach-in and Q&A will discuss colonialism, the extractive industry’s effects on tribal land, how Indigenous activism can hold the solution, and also feature a conversation with Amah Mutsun youth regarding land and sea stewardship.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6mBAN2IGRPe73KNNbUSBGg

Happy Earth Week! Thank you for caring about Indigenous people! Be safe!