EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 19, 2017 (Earth action got a lot of new this week!)

Emerald

Oct 19, 2017, 7:22:20 AM10/19/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

While Earth Action is making a lot of news - we send extra hugs and love to all of us affected by the fires.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

​1) Six Middle Eastern Countries Ban Glyphosate Herbicides over ‘Probable Carcinogen’ Fears​
http://sustainablepulse.com/2017/10/13/six-middle-eastern-countries-ban-glyphosate-herbicides-over-probable-carcinogen-fears/#.WeWWaDHLdlR

2) Most Sea Salt Contains Plastic Fragments
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/10/04/sea-salt-contains-plastic-fragments.aspx
"
A staggering amount of plastic is entering the environment as the result of tons of disposable plastic bottles, bags and microfibers from your clothing... Himalayan salt was produced thousands of years before plastics and toxins made their way into the environment."  Himalayan pink salt can be expensive sometimes but not if you buy it from the bulk food section.

3)
Lessons from the front lines of anti-colonial pipeline resistance
https://wagingnonviolence.org/2017/10/new-york-trump-tower-puerto-rico-protest/
"For the past eight years, the Unist’ot’en clan have reoccupied their traditional territory. When the camp began in 2009, seven pipelines had been proposed to cross their territory."
and
Minnesotans rally to ‘Hold the Line’ against Enbridge pipeline project

https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/minnesotans-rally-hold-line-enbridge-pipeline-project/
and
CA Rep. Khanna: “We Can’t Control Environmental Catastrophes Caused by Extreme Climate Conditions” (video)

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/16/ca_rep_khanna_we_can_t?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=18c058d6d5-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-18c058d6d5-191276697

6) Robert Jay Lifton on the Apocalyptic Twins of Nuclear and Climate Threats & Reflections on Survival (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/13/robert_jay_lifton_on_the_apocalyptic?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=c9f48ff18e-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-c9f48ff18e-191276697
"I no longer speak so much of climate change denial, but rather climate change rejection. It’s impossible not to, in at least one part of one’s mind, recognize that there is something called global warming and that it’s very dangerous to us and that we’re contributing to it."

7) Coastal Protection on the Edge: The Challenge of Preserving California’s Legacy
https://www.ecowatch.com/coastal-protection-california-2495522865.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9cb6acd689-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9cb6acd689-86095421

8) Turning Appalachia’s Mountaintop Coal Mines Into Farms
https://www.ecowatch.com/mountaintop-coal-mines-farms-2496318470.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9cb6acd689-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9cb6acd689-86095421
and
How to Start a Regenerative Agriculture Movement in Your Community

https://www.ecowatch.com/regenerative-agriculture-community-2496343267.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9cb6acd689-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9cb6acd689-86095421

9) Canada Methane Emissions Far Worse Than Feared
https://www.ecowatch.com/canada-methane-emissions-2498022840.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9a9526495e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9a9526495e-86095421

10) 75% of World's Honey Laced With Pesticides
https://www.ecowatch.com/honey-pesticides-global-2494057860.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a2129f668b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a2129f668b-86095421
This article is about the health threats to bees.  If you eat honey be sure it's raw, organic, and unpasteurized.  Most commercial honey has high fructose corn syrup, containing GMOs and pesticides.  Farmers market honey may be the safest.

11) Elon Musk Wants to Rebuild Puerto Rico's Power Grid With Solar
https://www.ecowatch.com/puerto-rico-tesla-2493674522.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=a2129f668b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-a2129f668b-86095421

12) UN Urges World Leaders to Heed Climate Risk, Warns of More Severe Disasters
https://www.ecowatch.com/un-climate-change-2497199071.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1129307e55-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1129307e55-86095421
and
World Bank Continues to Fund Climate Chaos, Despite Recognizing the Threat

https://www.ecowatch.com/world-bank-investments-climate-2495926366.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=539d59765d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-539d59765d-86095421

13) Only Two Penguin Chicks Survive in Catastrophic Antarctic Breeding Season
https://www.ecowatch.com/penguin-breeding-starvation-2496295642.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281187234f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281187234f-86095421

14) Two European Cities and a Whole Country Join Movement to Outlaw Gas Guzzlers
https://www.ecowatch.com/europe-gasoline-vehicles-2495953780.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281187234f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281187234f-86095421
"City officials announced a "Zero Emission Zone" that bans emitting vehicles from entering part of Oxford city center from 2020. This move could establish the world's first zero-emissions zone."
Let's make a distinction between banning new gas and diesel vehicles starting now and phasing out existing ones.

15) How a Coal Plant in Michigan Became an Insurance HQ
https://www.ecowatch.com/coal-plant-union-of-concerned-scientists-2495190990.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281187234f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281187234f-86095421
"The successful redevelopment of the old coal-fired Ottawa Power Station into the sustainably designed headquarters of the Accident Fund (the AF Group) created or preserved hundreds of jobs in Lansing and helped remake Lansing's downtown."
Has anyone else noticed a drastic difference between federal disaster relief here and what is happening in Puerto Rico?

21) Dr. David Suzuki: Environmentalism Is a Way of Being, Not a Discipline
https://www.ecowatch.com/david-suzuki-environmentalism-2491056270.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=be79eed10d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-be79eed10d-86095421
"Environmentalism isn't a discipline or specialty like law, medicine, plumbing, music or art. It's a way of seeing our place in the world and recognizing that our survival, health and happiness are inextricably dependent on nature."

22) The Terrifying New Normal
https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/the-terrifying-new-normal/Content?oid=4229480
Don't miss this article written by the editor of the Bohemian about the impact of climate change on the recent fires.
and
California Wildfires: One of 'Greatest Tragedies' State Has Ever Faced

https://www.ecowatch.com/california-wildfires-governor-2497212102.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1129307e55-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1129307e55-86095421
"California's fires have released enough air pollution to equal a year's worth of traffic, Sean Raffuse, air-quality analyst at UC Davis, said. The fires have produced about 10,000 tons of fine particulate matter, about the same amount generated by the state's 35 million vehicles."

23) Strange Days: Ex-Hurricane Ophelia Batters Ireland Under Orange Skies
https://www.ecowatch.com/ex-hurricane-ophelia-2497621029.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9a9526495e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9a9526495e-86095421
"Ophelia hit Ireland hard with full hurricane-like fury on Monday, bringing 85 mph winds that caused widespread damage and power outages. The storm took only about four hours to cross Ireland."
and
Wildfires Rage Through Portugal and Spain, Kill at Least 39

https://www.ecowatch.com/wildfires-portugal-spain-2497583308.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=1129307e55-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-1129307e55-86095421
"We are facing new (weather) conditions" due to climate change, Portuguese Interior Minister Constanca Urbano de Sousa told the press, as she also referenced the fires blazing in California. "In an era of climate change, such disasters are becoming reality all over the world."

24) Organic Food and Farm-to-Table Pioneer Alice Waters Is Creating a Revolution in School Lunches
https://www.ecowatch.com/alice-waters-school-lunches-2497187983.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9a9526495e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9a9526495e-86095421
Alice Waters is addressing the connection between effective learning and nutrition, and that health is not just for wealthy kids.

Take Action - Get Involved!

Community Seed Exchange

Sat. Oct. 28 (the last Saturday every month except November and December)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists Meeting
Monday, October 30, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center

Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
This meeting is a follow up to the July 31 summit to make plans and collaborate together.
Join us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2000824843466156

The proposed agenda is on our website at http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

Don't miss Debora Hammond's interview on Women's Spaces Radio about the Climate Change Activists Summit on July 31st.

Her interview runs from the 19 minutes and 20 seconds mark to the 34 minute mark (about 15 minutes).
http://www.womensspaces.com/ArchiveWSKBBF/WSA170807.html

Zero Waste event
Tuesday, November 14, 7:00-8:30 PM

Sebastopol Grange - 6000 Sebastopol Ave. (Hwy. 12), Sebastopol
Learn about Zero Waste at home, work, school and events. Learn what Sonoma County communities and the State of California are doing to curb climate change, increase recycling, create jobs and move us toward a green economy. Zero Waste Sonoma County and other organizations.
For more info:
http://sebastopolgrange.org/calendar-2/

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Monday, November 20, 7-9 PM
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401

This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com

Volunteer Opportunities

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.

• Climate Change Literature

We would like to expand our climate change literature. Do you have a handout you recommend or would you would like to help create one?

• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.