EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - May 21, 2020

Emerald

May 21, 2020, 8:15:07 AM5/21/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

LOCAL REPORTS
SMART poised to take control of North Bay freight hauling, expanding beyond passenger service

Group Letter to Newsom & CA Leg - Protect People Not Polluters
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gwn-UTaEk4luRa_6pvczb_gkoGoL5JM3/view
"Proud to fight with unions urging @CAGovernor & #CALeg for emergency relief for workers & communities who need it most. A just & equitable recovery requires investing in workers & communities, NOT bailing out Big Oil."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Food Safety Advocates Decry USDA Rule Allowing Big Ag to Self-Regulate on GMOs

'Ozone Friendly' Chemicals Are Polluting the Environment
"As the globe heats up, our desire for air conditioning increases. That has spelled trouble for new cars. When car manufacturers stopped using CFCs in a car's air-conditioner, they switched to a chemical called HFC-134a. While it did not destroy the ozone layer, it turned out to be a powerful greenhouse gas, around 1,400 times more warming than CO2, according to the BBC. Since 2017, car manufacturers in Europe and the U.S. switched to a different coolant for air conditioning called HFO-1234yf, which breaks down into forever chemicals."

DDT Metabolite (DDE) and Other Banned Pesticides Found in Blood Sample of African American Women in Detroit

FOSSIL FUELS
Big Oil Taking $1.9 Billion in CARES Act Tax Breaks

Failed Finances and 'the Demonization of Gas' Are Threatening the Future of US LNG
"The U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) market, once the promising golden child of the fossil fuel industry, has a major long-term problem. While it's facing financial disaster due to the current crash in oil and natural gas prices, that's only the short-term threat. The real issue for the LNG industry is an existential one: It's a fossil fuel in a rapidly warming world, and these polluting fuels are losing public favor fast."

Climate change: Study pours cold water on oil company net zero claims

PIPELINES
Big Oil Fears Keystone XL Ruling Means End of Easy Pipeline Permits
https://www.desmogblog.com/2020/05/03/keystone-xl-future-pipeline-permits

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
The end of plastic? New plant-based bottles will degrade in a year

Africa’s Exploding Plastic Nightmare
"As Africa Drowns in Garbage, the Plastics Business Keeps Booming"

GREEN NEW DEAL
The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Made Voters More Supportive of the Green New Deal

WAKE UP CALL
Global carbon dioxide levels at record high despite coronavirus lockdown

New Study Shows Global Warming Increasing Frequency of the Most-Destructive Tropical Storms

One Crisis Doesn’t Stop Because Another Starts
by Bill McKibben

Your Climate Anxiety Is Another Person’s Existential Crisis
https://newrepublic.com/article/157660/climate-anxiety-another-persons-existential-crisis

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Americans See Climate as a Concern, Even Amid Coronavirus Crisis

Our Greener, Climate-Friendly Future Is Going to Be Amazing—It's Our Job to Tell That Story

NASA Satellites Enable Scientists to Observe Climate Change
"NASA now operates a fleet of satellites that orbit the Earth. They make it possible to see the whole planet and observe how it's changing as the climate warms."

Climate Explained: What Caused Major Climate Change in the Past?

This is what an emergency looks like…
"It’s very, very instructive to see how the government and the public react to a crisis that they are actually taking seriously.  The immense power of government, collective behaviour change and public shaming — and particularly the intersection of all three — are suddenly on display.  How and why were we all suddenly convinced to take this pandemic seriously?  Are there any clues here about what a serious response to climate change look like?"

As oil crashes, ‘America’s untapped energy giant’ could rise

We could have clean energy instead of climate chaos

From North America to Europe, green recovery battle lines are drawn

DIRECT ACTIONS
Global coalition of 42 faith institutions divest from fossil fuels

States Sue Trump EPA for Suspending Environmental Regulations During Pandemic
https://www.ecowatch.com/states-sue-trump-epa-suspending-regulations-coronavirus-2646004668.html?rebelltitem=6#rebelltitem6
"The nine states filing the complaint are California, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, Vermont and Virginia. The suit alleges that the regulation rollback, if allowed to persist, will force states to try to "fill EPA's enforcement shoes at a time when they are increasingly strapped for resources, or risk the health of our residents," reported the San Francisco Chronicle."

Extinction Rebellion spray fake oil onto Barclays HQ calling on them to act responsibly and divest from fossil fuels

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Zero-waste warriors: meet the people whose household rubbish fits in a jam jar

CATCHING UP
California’s Primary Season Comes Amid a Dramatic Battle Over Nuclear Energy

Native Activists Are Forging a Just Transition to Renewable Energy
by Winona LaDuke

Wealthy Donors and Fossil Fuel Interests Pump Millions Into Super PACs for 2020

He Sued Chevron and Won. Now He’s Under House Arrest.

Top DNC Committee Is Packed With Fossil Fuel and Bank Lobbyists

Indigenous Blockades Don’t Just Decry Destruction — They Affirm Life

Ending Fossil Fuel Subsidies the Wrong Way Could End Up Hurting the Poor

Feds’ plan to eradicate invasive mice on Farallon Islands divides conservationists

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.