EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - January 31, 2019

Emerald

Jan 31, 2019, 5:33:51 AM1/31/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM OCCUPY SONOMA COUNTY!
MAY 2019 BE THE YEAR THAT ALL OF HUMANITY WAKES UP TO THE URGENCY OF CLIMATE CHANGE AND JOINS TOGETHER TO LOVE AND HEAL OUR PRECIOUS MOTHER EARTH.

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!

GMOs & GLYPHOSATE
Glyphosate and Other Toxic Chemicals Detected in French Diapers

New Home Test Kit Enables Easy Glyphosate Detection

OIL, GAS & FOSSIL FUELS

2038 is in 20 years!  Germany can do better than this.  Shutting down their nukes by 2022 is more like it.

PIPELINES

POLLUTION
What keeps families in one of the most polluted places in California?

WAKE UP CALL
The Connection Between Climate Change and Racism is Real.
https://myamericanmeltingpot.com/2019/01/28/racism-climate-change-solutions/?fbclid=IwAR1SHXZqR1yFceopAY-r8klrwbDOWd7b6eFKy7yzVBKZpP8TpaYn88hO-Dk
"While industries are most likely to site toxic facilities in low income communities of color, some research shows that they also look for sites where the surrounding area contains a mixture of races and classes, knowing that will decrease the likelihood of communities sharing information and working together to address issues that ultimately affect everyone. It’s a sadly effective tactic."

Climate Change Is Already Driving Mass Migration Around the Globe

Bolsonaro Welcomes Big Business to Brazil, Alarming Environmentalists and Indigenous Groups

Fire-Induced Storms: A New Danger from the Rise in Wildfires
https://e360.yale.edu/features/fire-induced-storms-a-new-danger-from-the-rise-in-wildfires

As Americans Increasingly Bear 'Real Costs of Climate Crisis,' Polls Show Soaring Realization of Global Warming's Threat
https://tinyurl.com/yc7pq9xz (Common Dreams)

Welcome to 'The New Abnormal': Apocalypse Still Looms as Doomsday Clock Stays at 2 Minutes to Midnight

PG&E
Cal Fire says Tubbs fire caused by private electrical system, not PG&E
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/9207814-181/cal-fire-says-tubbs-fire?utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_term=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&bt_ee=YisCMzcGV9EVc8sKATcXrVa37S9IKGMVFyvET6gr+eC+98vCrD7zv68pdAQMkqg9&bt_ts=1548430205863&utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pd_daily&utm_term=ad8e6cac3284183e0c31c7abd0557b09&utm_content=undefined&bt_ee=RAXt174s9vGi%2FIcrgrVs9Xv1fu8S7%2F%2FKxvLwghMPw41Bd8maDz3D5QaL%2FSfn%2Fs0U&bt_ts=1548430205807&gallery=9208263

PG&E bankruptcy could be costly for Northern California fire victims, customers

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

DIRECT ACTIONS

Judge dismisses claim global warming made it necessary to violate Burnaby injunction
https://www.burnabynow.com/news/judge-dismisses-claim-global-warming-made-it-necessary-to-violate-burnaby-injunction-1.23605563
"A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has dismissed the defence of two Trans Mountain pipeline protesters who claimed “necessity” for violating an injunction barring them from blocking access to two Burnaby sites."

CANADA DECLARES WAR ON THE WET’SUWET’EN
(short video)
https://sub.media/video/canada-declares-war-on-the-wetsuweten/
"A short video ninja report covering the initial raid on the Gidimt'en encampment on January 7th."

WORLDWIDE SOLIDARITY WITH WET'SUWET'EN (short video)
https://sub.media/video/worldwide-solidarity-with-wetsuweten/
"A round-up of initial solidarity actions, which took place in over 60 cities around the world within 48 hours of the initial raid."

JACQUES CARTIER BRIDGE BLOCKED IN SO-CALLED "MONTREAL" (short video)
https://sub.media/video/jacques-cartier-bridge-blocked-in-so-called-montreal/
"On the morning of January 8th, roughly 25 people shut down the Jacques Cartier Bridge, a vital commuter corridor in so-called "Montreal".

SOLIDARITY WITH THE WE'SUWET'EN SPREADS ACROSS SO-CALLED "CANADA" (short video)
https://sub.media/video/solidarity-with-the-wetsuweten-spreads-across-so-called-canada/
"On Friday January 11th, Mohawk and Anishinaabe supporters on opposite ends of so-called “Ontario” staged a coordinated “rolling blockade” of the 400 series highways – the busiest highway system in the world."

ELSIPOGTOG IN 5 MINUTES (short video)
https://sub.media/video/elsipogtog-in-five-minutes/
"As part of our series “Indigenous Resistance in Five Minutes” historian and comic book artist, Gord Hill retells the story of Elsipogtog, where in 2013 the Mi'kmaq in so-called New Brunswick kicked fracking company SWN Resources off their territory."
Controversial "Diversity Of Tactics"

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Santa Barbara Unified School District Takes Action on Climate Change
https://www.sbunified.org/2019/01/17/santa-barbara-unified-school-district-takes-action-on-climate-change/?fbclid=IwAR0kYCE5jYnCHmmCWBdFZDHoKVvLrStL3pyPqjzg-nP4cMmlMTqqJQApdso

Take Action - Get Involved!

Thursday, Jan. 31, 6:30 – 8:30 pm.  $20 per person - scholarships are available

Climate Change: Is it Too Late?

Glaser Center, 547 Mendocino Ave., Santa Rosa
Climate scientist Carl Mears will describe the implications of the recent 3 major studies on the climate crisis (IPCC, 4th National Assessment, Global Climate Project report)

Doors open at 6:30 – mingling, light refreshments. Program runs from 7:00 to 8:30.

To inquire about a scholarship in...@climateprotection.org
Sign up at https://350bayarea.nationbuilder.com/r?u=jI4rFPRjZw0oSYMtY3D2W-XgXc_Su_aQk9lLOGWPqXxMqftGMuTvVQkaUpjzk1pdkPHMhdwd9UnSNSs_7f40hXiT-knejjNCJIfCi9oMBRNWxrmMVHULShJbZLlmeQ7k&e=d21a8bea0d9b37142160b7765dc4dd1a&utm_source=350bayarea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=25jan19_sonltr&n=3

Monday, February 4, 7-9 PM

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Anne Jacopetti
Notetaker: Jory Adamson

Saturday, ​February 9​, 1:30 - 4:30 PM
Sonoma Solidarity With Standing Rock meeting

Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa
1:30 to 3:00 PM - Public Banking meeting
3:00 to 4:30 PM - Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock admin/divestment meeting
For more info, visit: www.sonomasolidarity.org

Saturday, February 2, 12 - 8 pm
Sonoma County Indigenous Rights of Nature Forum
Sebastopol Grange, 6000 Sebastopol Ave., Sebastopol
Forum from noon to 5:30 pm with dinner following snacks and refreshments provided
Hosted by North Bay Organizing Project and Movement Rights

http://www.movementrights.org http://morthbayop.org
For directions or more information please contact Annie at 707 480 2315, adobbs...@northbayop.org
https://peaceandjusticesonomaco.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5e02c86cd36c18540b6ecc0fc&id=e33fae1375&e=24fd63663b
https://peaceandjusticesonomaco.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5e02c86cd36c18540b6ecc0fc&id=e33fae1375&e=24fd63663b

Sunday, February 10, from 10 am - 1:30 pm (every second Sunday)

Acorn Bites Launch at Sonoma County Farmers Markets
Sebastopol Farmers Market
CIMCC Tribal Youth Ambassadors will be selling their acorn bites in Sonoma County Farmers Markets
For details see: https://www.facebook.com/events/243193549947638/
For more information: https://madelocalmagazine.com/2018/11/acorn-awareness/ and https://www.gofundme.com/acornbar

Tuesday, February 12, 7:00 pm

Anne Jacopetti and Philip Beard discuss the Green New Deal and a Public Bank in Sonoma County

KOWS Radio 92.5

Philip, professor emeritus at SSU, co-designed and coordinated the Global Studies BA., is an advocate for public banking and a member of the Alliance for a Just Recovery.

Studio phone to call in with questions: 707-755-9250

Wednesday February 13, 6-9pm FREE EVENT
DRAWDOWN Introduction

Petaluma Bank Hub, former Seed Bank at E. Washington and Petaluma Blvd.
Sonoma County Pachamama Alliance and Aqus Community present an Introduction to DRAWDOWN workshop based on Paul Hawken’s book, DRAWDOWN, outlining 100 programs that reverse global warming.
The DRAWDOWN Introduction is followed by a series of 5 workshops designed to enroll viewers as activists and will be facilitated by Pachamama spokesperson, Nelson Barry.
For further information, visit Sonoma County Pachamama Alliance on Facebook and read the book.
Contact: Connie...@gmail.com, 707-789-9294

Monday, February 18, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, ​February 20​, 7pm
350 Sonoma Meeting
For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

Friday, February 22, 11am-7pm, FREE

Rebuild Green Expo

Showcase for building affordable, sustainable and resilient communities

Santa Rosa Veteran’s Memorial Building

For more info: http://rebuildgreenexpo.com/

Saturday, February 23, 10 AM – 1 PM
Sonoma County B-Rad Beach Clean Up 2019: Goat Rock
Goat Rock Beach, Sonoma Coast State Park, Jenner 95401
A day of community, stewardship and fun. Kids games, art projects, informational presentations, mobile exhibits, and raffle prizes.

For more info contact in...@b-radfoundation.org or call (707) 321-8990

Saturday, February 23 (the last Saturday every month)

Community Seed Exchange

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol

For more info: communitys...@gmail.com

9-10:30 Optional Work Party

11-12 Free Workshop: Intro To Seed Saving

9-12:30 Seed Library

February 25-March 1
Sonoma State University: Social Justice Week

Student Center Ballroom A
For program see: https://web.sonoma.edu/sociology/PDFs/Sonoma%20State%20University%20SJ%20Week%202019.pdf

Volunteer Opportunities

• OSC puts on six events every year.  Can you agree to post our event flyers to the bulletin boards where you already shop?  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Flyers can always be downloaded from our website or we can get them to you.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.

kgirard50

Jan 31, 2019, 6:42:04 PM1/31/19
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Please take me off your email list! I've tried various ways to do so!

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 5G Evolution smartphone

Karina Castillo

Feb 1, 2019, 9:42:49 AM2/1/19
to Emerald, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Me as well, please!!

Thank you

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---
Karina Castillo
Department Coordinator: Pediatrics
Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital