EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - July 11, 2019

Emerald

Jul 11, 2019, 5:51:04 AM7/11/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Safety first: Investors take action on mine tailings disasters

Indonesian president hands over management of forests to indigenous people

BAYER/MONSANTO

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Civil Society Denounces the Release of GM mosquitoes in Burkina Faso

The U.S. wants to dump 1.5 tons of rat poison pellets on the Farallon Islands. Biologists say it’s for the best

FOSSIL FUELS
In the heart of Wyoming’s coal country, residents are worried about their future

United States Spend Ten Times More On Fossil Fuel Subsidies Than Education

More Signs That Natural Gas Can’t Compete With Renewables on Cost
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/07/05/signs-natural-gas-cannot-compete-renewables-cost

Oil Companies in Alaska Refreeze Melting Permafrost to Keep Drilling

WAKE UP CALL
UN official: US can't ignore that climate change will force 120 million people into poverty

Climate Change Will Increase Risk of Violent Conflict, Researchers Warn
"Stanford convened top experts in climate and conflict with a wide range of views to see where they agree about climate change’s impact on global security."

Indian villages lie empty as drought forces thousands to flee
"Sick and elderly left to fend for themselves with no end in sight to water crisis."
Warning: a graphic image that may be disturbing - not posted on social media

Satellite data shows Amazon deforestation rising under Brazil's Bolsonaro

California’s wildfire season is starting and officials are bracing for the worst

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Which countries have a net zero carbon goal?
If this is who is leading the way then we are in very serious trouble!  These 2045 & 2050 target dates are absurd.

‘This Is Wholesale Child Neglect’: The Silence of School Leaders on the Climate Crisis

Why electric cars won't save us: There are not enough resources to build them

How can city dwellers help with climate change? Buy less stuff.

Why Low-Income Households Need to Be Part of the Clean Energy Revolution

DIRECT ACTIONS
U.S. green groups ramp up legal attacks on federal oil leases

Extinction Rebellion Meets Animal Justice Groups To Discuss Disrupting Animal Ag

Governments and firms in 28 countries sued over climate crisis – report

Another lawsuit filed to stop mine expansion

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
America's renewable energy capacity is now greater than coal

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
This Dutch City Has Transformed Its Bus Stops Into Bee Stops
https://www.ecowatch.com/dutch-city-bus-stops-into-bee-stops-2639127437.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&socialux=facebook&share_id=4725670&utm_medium=social&utm_content=EcoWatch&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2SnMhAEH1IBs5jhGmlTbKa5QS-uJP3_0FUnzmrxkYE2O12AZ9YwUgMJgc
"In the Dutch city Utrecht 316 bus stops now have a green roof. They do not only look great, they also help capture fine dust, storage of rainwater and provide cooling in the summertime... The roofs mainly have sedum plants. They are maintained by municipal workers who drive around in electric vehicles
... The bus stops are outfitted with efficient led lights and a bamboo bench.... Utrecht is expanding the number of buses powered by electricity. The electricity used by Utrecht comes from Dutch windmills."

Take Action - Get Involved!

July 1-31
Join Millions Of People Worldwide In Plastic Free July!
We urge everyone to join the global challenge at http://PlasticFreeJuly.org where participants are counted and receive information on how to reduce plastic consumption.
Download our Plastic Challenge Action Picker and find local campaign information at: http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/PlasticFreeJuly.
Find our local Plastic Free July Campaign on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/2195179703937948/.

Thursday, July 11, 6:00-7:30 PM, Free

Demystifying Electric Vehicles - All You Need to Know to Go EV!

Lucchesi Community Center: 320 N. McDowell Blvd. Petaluma

For more info go to https://dailyacts.org/events-1/?eid=11750 or call Daily Acts at (707) 789-9664

Monday, July 15, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting

We will be discussing our plans for Plastic Free July - and other stuff.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Monday, July 22, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Presents

Fight Climate Change with Zero Waste Strategies
Presented by Portia Sinnott, Zero Waste Action - Sonoma County & Zero Waste USA

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Saturday, July 27 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop

9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

Monday, July 29, 7-9 PM

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: June
Notetaker: Eve

Wednesday, July 31, 8 AM - 5 PM

North Bay Zero Waste Symposium

Presentations on how to achieve waste diversion goals, the inner workings of the resource recovery industry, and more
Keynote speakers: Recology CEO Mike Sangiacomo and international zero waste lifestyle extraordinaire Bea Johnson
SOMO Village Events Center, Rohnert Park

Space is limited, register here: https://zerowastenorthbay.org/

Wednesday, August 7 (every first Wednesday) No Dogs
Sonoma County Permaculture Guild Monthly Potluck

Family Friendly & Fun. Swap seeds/plants, & explore the PSC
Permaculture Skills Center, 2185 Gravenstein Hwy S, Sebastopol, California 95472
For more info contact: permacultureskillscenter.org or 707-824-0836

Sept. 20-27

Millions of school strikers have shown us they’re serious about climate action. Adults, will you join our youth?
https://globalclimatestrike.net/

Volunteer

• OSC is putting on teach-ins on July 22 (zero waste), September 23 & 30 (democracy) and in November (effective organizing).  Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.  Download flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• If you are an experienced builder who can help us build raised bed garden boxes please contact us.  We also need help delivering them if you have a truck.  This could be an occasional or ongoing project.

• Help is needed with editing our teach-in videos.  Even just one hour of help would be useful.

• We need an email list of bars and restaurants in Sonoma County for several of our educational campaigns, including one we are planning for Plastic Free July.
• We need a volunteer to make phone calls from home for 1-2 hours every other month.  No skill is needed other than a pleasant phone demeanor.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.