EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - August 30, 2018

Emerald

Aug 30, 2018, 8:04:09 AM8/30/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Recent Arrests Under New Anti-Protest Law Spotlight Risks That Off-Duty Cops Pose to Pipeline Opponents
https://theintercept.com/2018/08/22/recent-arrests-under-new-anti-protest-law-spotlight-risks-that-off-duty-cops-pose-to-pipeline-opponents/
Will Parrish: "Over the weekend, four opponents of the Bayou Bridge pipeline and an independent journalist covering their activities were arrested and charged under Louisiana House Bill 727, which makes trespassing on “critical infrastructure” facilities — a category that explicitly includes oil pipelines — a felony punishable by up to five years in prison, a fine of $1,000, or both. A total of eight people have now been charged under the law since it took effect on August 1."
This proves that we are being effective!

2) Fast-Melting Lakes Could Increase Permafrost Emissions 118 Percent
https://www.ecowatch.com/thermokarst-permafrost-methane-emissions-2598738136.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=bb31e02dcc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-bb31e02dcc-86095421

3) Kansas Didn't Tell Residents Their Water Was Contaminated For Years
https://www.ecowatch.com/kansas-water-contamination-2599534903.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6cc13adfe0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6cc13adfe0-86095421

4) Hawaii Devastated by Flooding as Lane Rainfall Nears U.S. Record
https://www.ecowatch.com/hawaii-hurricane-lane-flooding-2599467495.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6cc13adfe0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6cc13adfe0-86095421

5) Fight Against Glyphosate Could Reignite Push for Agent Orange Justice
https://www.ecowatch.com/glyphosate-could-reignite-push-for-agent-orange-justice-2599594069.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6cc13adfe0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6cc13adfe0-86095421
"The Vietnam Association for Victims of Agent Orange/Dioxin (VAVA) Chief of Office and Director of Liaison Lawyers Office Quách Thành Vinh told Viet Nam News that the recent verdict that Monsanto award former groundskeeper Dewayne Johnson $289 million in damages could help other victims of toxic chemicals get justice, including the three million Vietnamese victims of Agent Orange his organization represents. Viet Nam News also pointed out that studies by the U.S. and Vietnamese governments have linked dioxin and Agent Orange exposure to more than 10 diseases. "No matter how difficult and prolonged this case might be, we won't ever give up on it, for the sake of the millions of Vietnamese victims," Vinh told Viet Nam News."

6) 4 U.S. States With 30+ Percent Wind Power
https://www.ecowatch.com/wind-power-generation-states-2599843336.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=c477bd76f3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-c477bd76f3-86095421
Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas and South Dakota.

7) French Environment Minister Quits Over Government's Inadequate Green Policies
https://www.ecowatch.com/french-environment-minister-quits-2599773159.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=c477bd76f3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-c477bd76f3-86095421
"He said the government has made inadequate progress in reducing the use of pesticides, protecting soil health and defending biodiversity... "I don't want to lie anymore," Hulot said. "I don't want to create the illusion that my presence in the government means that we are on top of these issues and therefore I take the decision to quit this government."... He also had differences with the government's decision to drop its long-held 2025 target of reducing the share of nuclear energy in its power mix to 50 percent. He also wanted to ban the herbicide glyphosate but was overruled by the agriculture ministry, according to the Guardian... The Greens in the European Parliament lamented Hulot's exit. "Hulot was a hope for the ecologists but Macron's government doesn't defend the environment, biodiversity or public health—it listens more to powerful lobbies," the group tweeted today."

8) 5 Ways Communities Are Coping With Climate Anxiety
https://www.ecowatch.com/communities-are-coping-with-climate-anxiety-2598438336.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=182edca6f4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-182edca6f4-86095421
YES! Magazine: "Here are five community-based programs that are helping people confront—and cope with—the mental health consequences of climate change."

9) 19 Global Cities Commit to Make New Buildings Net-Zero By 2030
https://www.ecowatch.com/net-zero-emissions-buildings-cities-2598664498.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=182edca6f4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-182edca6f4-86095421
Copenhagen, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York City, Newburyport, Paris, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Monica, Stockholm, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Tshwane, Vancouver and Washington, DC.

10) A Koch-Fueled Attack on Electric Buses Picks Up Speed
https://www.ecowatch.com/koch-fueled-attack-on-electric-buses-2598163369.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=182edca6f4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-182edca6f4-86095421
DeSmogBlog: "Many cities are now announcing transitions to electric bus fleets. New York City announced in April its plans to electrify its fleet by 2040. Los Angeles is committed to an entirely zero-emissions fleet by 2030. Seattle is purchasing 120 e-buses by 2020 and has committed to electrifying its entire fleet by 2040. Electric buses are moving toward the mainstream, despite attacks from oil industry apologists."

11) Australian Prime Minister Ousted Over Climate Policy
https://www.ecowatch.com/australia-prime-minister-climate-policy-2598685521.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=182edca6f4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-182edca6f4-86095421
"Conservative lawmaker Scott Morrison has forced out Malcolm Turnbull as Australian prime minister, the third time the country's leader has sunk over climate policy in the past decade, and the seventh since 1997, according to Australia's ABC News... Australia is one of the countries most vulnerable to climate change, with relentless drought, deadly wildfires and devastating bleaching at the iconic Great Barrier Reef. At the same time, Australia is one of the world's largest coal exporters, accounting for 37 percent of global exports."

12) Standing Rock Veterans Lead Fight to Shut Down Enbridge Line 5 Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/pipeline-protest-michigan-enbridge-2598173435.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=044354271a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-044354271a-86095421
"A group of Standing Rock veterans and their allies have set up camp in Northern Michigan to stop another pipeline: Enbridge's Line 5 pipeline that passes under the Straits of Mackinac between Lakes Huron and Michigan as it carries oil from Western Canada to Ontario, Michigan Radio reported Sunday. "

13) Texas Oil Companies Want Federal Dollars to Protect Them From Climate Change
https://www.ecowatch.com/oil-companies-climate-change-protection-2598447515.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=044354271a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-044354271a-86095421

14) World's Largest Shipping Company to Send First Ship Through Melting Arctic
https://www.ecowatch.com/shipping-arctic-ice-melting-2598089199.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=dab75a9cb1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-dab75a9cb1-86095421
"This week, the Guardian reported that the Arctic's thickest and oldest sea ice—also known as "the last ice area"—is breaking up for the first time on record. The breakage has opened up waters north of Greenland that are normally frozen-solid even in the peak of summer, a phenomenon that has been described as "scary."

15) European Union to Ban Halogen Bulbs
https://www.ecowatch.com/halogen-bulbs-ban-european-union-2598382369.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=044354271a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-044354271a-86095421

16) Canadian Supreme Court Rejects BC City’s Bid to Stop Trans Mountain Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/canadian-supreme-court-trans-mountain-pipeline-2598514607.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=044354271a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-044354271a-86095421

17) Sea Level Rise Has Already Cost 8 East Coast States More Than $14 Billion in Home Values
https://www.ecowatch.com/sea-level-rise-home-values-2598716861.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=182edca6f4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-182edca6f4-86095421
"Sea level rise caused by climate change has already cost the U.S. $14.1 billion dollars in home values across eight East Coast states, according to new data released Thursday by the First Street Foundation, a Brooklyn-based non-profit whose stated mission is "to educate citizens and elected officials on the risks, causes and solutions to sea level rise and flooding."

18) General Mills Faces Lawsuit Over Glyphosate in Cereals
https://www.ecowatch.com/general-mills-glyphosate-lawsuit-2598400768.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=044354271a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-044354271a-86095421
"Monsanto's—and now Bayer's—glyphosate problem is also a headache for General Mills. The Cheerios-maker could face a class action lawsuit alleging the company failed to warn consumers about traces of the controversial herbicide in its products... Reuters reported Thursday that Bayer is facing 8,000 U.S. lawsuits alone, up from the 5,200 it previously disclosed."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. August 25 (the last Saturday every month)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Garden Roundtable and Summer Harvest Potluck
9-12 Seed Library

Saturday, September 8, 10 AM
Embarcadero Plaza, San Francisco
RISE March for Climate, Jobs, and Justice

Get on the bus in Sonoma & Marin County: http://bit.ly/sonmarinrise

Let's mobilize EVERYONE for this important march!

For more info contact 350Sono...@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 11 - Thursday, September 13, 9am-9pm
The National Heirloom Expo
Sonoma County Fairground, Santa Rosa
$30 for 3 days, $15 for 1 day, kids free
The "World's Fair of Pure Food" - exhibits, speakers, vendors, workshops, food, and fun!
For more info: http://theheirloomexpo.com/ (check the website close to the event for the schedule)
(Editor's note: Don't miss this awesome event!)

Saturday, September 15th, 8:30-11:30 am
Russian River Watershed Clean Up

Numerous locations from Ukiah to Monte Rio
Call Russian Riverkeeper at (707) 433-1958 x103 or email b...@russianriverkeeper.org

Monday, September 17, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

September 17, 2018 6-8pm – Potential Strategies for Zero Waste
October 22, 2018 6-8pm - Draft Zero Waste Plan
Finley Community Center, Person Senior Wing, Room 1
2060 West College Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
For more info contact 350Sono...@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 19, 7pm
350 Sonoma
For more info go to Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. September 29 (the last Saturday every month)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

December 6, 5-8 PM

Holiday Networking Party &  Awards for Leadership in Post-fire Ecosystem Regeneration

Sebastopol Grange

Sonoma County Conservation Council: sc...@sonic.net

Volunteer Opportunities

• We need a list of Mexican restaurants and taquerias for a mailing about GMOs in corn products.

* Please help promote and attend the RISE march on September 8: http://CA.RISEFORCLIMATE.org
 for bus info:
http://bit.ly/sonmarinrise

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.