EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - September 13, 2017

1 view

Emerald

Sep 14, 2017, 7:06:01 AM9/14/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

​1) New Study Shows Organic Farming Traps Carbon in Soil to Combat Climate Change​
http://civileats.com/2017/09/11/new-study-shows-organic-farming-traps-carbon-in-soil-to-combat-climate-change/

2) How Farmers Can Help Ensure That We Don’t All Die From Super-Powered Bacteria
https://www.fastcompany.com/40460425/how-farmers-can-help-help-ensure-that-we-dont-all-die-from-super-powered-bacteria
Antibiotics in farm animals pose a serious health risk.  If you eat meat be sure to choose organic, grass-fed and grass-finished.  Buy a little less or pay a little more rather than buying cheap meat that can be dangerous for you and your family.
and more from the one-eye-open department:
McCain: 'We have to understand that the climate may be changing'

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/349980-mccain-we-have-to-understand-that-the-climate-may-be-changing
Uh, no John - nuclear power is not the answer to climate change!

5) How Monsanto Is Devastating Thousands of Farms Across 20 States
https://www.alternet.org/food/how-monsanto-devastating-thousands-farms-across-20-states

6) Chevron's Amazon Chernobyl Case moves to Canada
https://intercontinentalcry.org/chevrons-amazon-chernobyl-case-moves-canada
Did you know that there is a 20,000 hectare death zone in Ecuador caused by Chevron?

7) "We Have Never Had Anything Like Them": Bill McKibben on Floods, Winds & Fires Devastating U.S. (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/9/7/we_have_never_had_anything_like
Finally Mother Nature is getting some press coverage!

8) Activists in B.C. gear up for 'the next Standing Rock' with tiny house protest

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/kinder-morgan-pipeline-activists-tiny-houses-1.4279740
As if the Grocery Manufacturers Association is a radical GMO labeling group!

10) A Short History of Glyphosate
http://sustainablepulse.com/2017/09/06/a-short-history-of-glyphosate/#.WbeWYTHLdlR

11) Plastic fibres found in tap water around the world, study reveals
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/06/plastic-fibres-found-tap-water-around-world-study-reveals?CMP=share_btn_fb

12) How Exxon Used the New York Times to Make You Question Climate Science
https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-new-york-times-2479595376.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0da61a96ca-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0da61a96ca-86095421

13) Coal and the Curse of Commercialization
https://www.ecowatch.com/mountaintop-removal-share-international-2480303664.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0da61a96ca-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0da61a96ca-86095421

14) Turning Solar Sites Into Pollinator-Friendly Habitats Is the Sweetest Idea
https://www.ecowatch.com/solar-honey-bees-2481799277.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=918236ab19-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-918236ab19-86095421

15) 7 Key Environmental Amendments to Watch
https://www.ecowatch.com/environmental-amendments-congress-2482603629.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=efe4a8c645-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-efe4a8c645-86095421

16) 'Not Without Us' Follows Climate Activists on the Front Lines (video)
https://www.ecowatch.com/documentary-not-without-us-2481860730.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=efe4a8c645-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-efe4a8c645-86095421
We can't rely on the governments and corporations that caused climate change to change it - it's up to us!

17) Will New Scientific Breakthroughs Pave the Way for More Climate-Related Lawsuits?
https://www.ecowatch.com/scientific-breakthroughs-climate-lawsuits-2482945732.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=efe4a8c645-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-efe4a8c645-86095421

18) Millennials: Climate Change Is World's Biggest Problem
https://www.ecowatch.com/millennials-climate-change-2482557556.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=36817b58db-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-36817b58db-86095421

19) 1,200 Die as “Devastating” Climate Change-Linked Floods Submerge Parts of South Asia (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/8/29/1_200_die_as_devastating_climate?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=491f39d5c5-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-491f39d5c5-191276697

20) Hurricane Harvey: Zip Code & Race Determine Who Will Bear Burden Of Climate Change (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/8/29/hurricane_harvey_zip_code_race_determine?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=491f39d5c5-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-491f39d5c5-191276697

21) Mass civil disobedience campaign obstructs one of Europe’s largest polluters
https://wagingnonviolence.org/feature/civil-disobedience-climate-coal-ende-gelande/
Thank you Scotland for pushing renewable energy now when we need it!

Take Action - Get Involved - Join Us Today!

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting:
Monday, September 18, 7-9 PM
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401

This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Russian River Watershed Cleanup
Saturday, September 16th, from
8:30am to 1:00pm
Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/russian-river-watershed-cleanup-tickets-27204836398
Are you available on Saturday to help keep beach trash from going into the ocean?

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists
Monday, October 30, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center

This meeting is a follow up to the July 31 summit to make plans and collaborate together.
Join us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2000824843466156

Don't miss Debora Hammond's interview on Women's Spaces Radio about the Climate Change Activists Summit on July 31st.

Her interview runs from the 19 minutes and 20 seconds mark to the 34 minute mark (about 15 minutes).
http://www.womensspaces.com/ArchiveWSKBBF/WSA170807.html

Occupy Sonoma County made a fun video called Card Game at the Plastic Free Saloon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEHgHwJiJM

Volunteer Opportunities:

We are looking for help with video editing
Please let us know if you or someone you know can help with that.
Even once for an hour or two would help.

Climate Change Literature

We would like to expand our climate change literature. Do you have a handout you recommend or would you would like to help create one?

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.