Occupy Sonoma County Meatless May Proposal for January 29th climate groups meeting

Emerald

Jan 23, 2018, 4:18:53 AM1/23/18
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com

Meatless May Proposal​

Objective:

To educate the public as well as other activists about the greenhouse gas impact of animal agriculture.

To support and educate people in making plant-based food choices.

To challenge people to learn how to eat a plant-based diet (80-100%).

To reduce greenhouse gases caused by animal agriculture.

Campaign:

Promote campaign beginning April 1.

Prepare campaign promotion by March 1.

Educational flyer.

Challenge flyer.

Mass mailing, Facebook, Twitter, WACCO, and other listservs.

Press release, PSA, publish articles (May issues), radio interviews.

Share recipes, meal plans, website links, and printed materials from organizations that promote plant-based eating.

Seek endorsements and participation from local groups.

Work with restaurants to have them offer extended planted-based menu options (encourage them to continue beyond May).

Ask participating restaurants to put up flyers about the benefits of plant-based foods for the environment.

Participating restaurants can get additional promotion from the rest of the Meatless May participants, e.g. orgs could have a list of participating restaurants in newsletters to employees and members.

Have participating orgs establish a food policy (see www.foodforthoughtcampaign.org/) surrounding their events that corresponds with their commitment to climate protection.

Have orgs add a page to their site about the impact of food choices on the environment (see http://350marin.org/climate_diet_team/).

Contact other Occupy groups to encourage their participation by launching their own similar campaign.

Provide materials for other groups to use.

Possible slogans and verbiage:

“Take the 31-day challenge”

Checkbox on handout:

Meatless May Challenge (check all that apply)

___I am already eating a 100% plant-based diet.  I will participate by supporting someone else in their challenge.

___I am already eating an 80% plant-based diet.  I will participate by going 100% plant-based on or before May 31.

___I am currently eating a diet of animal products along with some fruits, vegetables, and other plant foods.  I will participate by learning about alternatives to these foods and aim for an 80% plant based diet by May 31.

___I am currently eating a diet of animal products along with some fruits, vegetables and other plant based foods.  I will participate by learning about alternatives to these foods and aim for a 100% plant based diet by May 31.

​___​
I will bring plant-based foods to all events I attend in the month of May.

One Day Challenge (or in addition to 31-Day Challenge)

___I will participate by eating a plant based diet on May 31 (Memorial Day) and will spend the month of May learning good recipes for my favorite Memorial Day foods.  If I attend a gathering on that day I will bring plant based foods and introduce them to the people at the gathering as my contribution to reducing greenhouse gases and initiate a conversation about this topic.

Long-term Challenge (in addition to 31-Day Challenge)

___I will participate by considering long-term changes to my diet that reduce greenhouse gases through animal agriculture.