Follow-up: Santa Rosa Climate Emergency Resolution

Pete Gang

Jan 16, 2020, 7:23:21 PM1/16/20
to SoCoCAN!, Focap Steering, James Freed, Vicki Mayster, Christina Nichol, Ellie Insley, Bill Wolpert, Lindsay Segbers, Tina Poles, John Nagle, mere c, Alaya Babineau, Benjamin Whipple, Caitlyn Thomasson, Carolyn Stayton, Colby Accacian, Dakota Whitman, Julia Walker, Laurie-Ann Barbour, Mary Paffard, Michael Lipelt, Lynette McGee, Mimi Enright, Robert Sabini, Steve Consiglio, Sophia Porter, Tish Levee, Larry Robinson, Rich Karas, Ardath Lee, Wayne Yamagishi, Alex Goodman, Rebecca Chaboya, Bonnie Bibas, Bonnie Hamilton, Wayne Yamagishi, Grant Bradski, Katie Cartwright, kevin Conway, Melissa Ahearn, Nancy Conway, Naomi Anderson, Natasha Juliana, Nevin Wolfe-Sallouti, Sanna Thomas, Steven Pierce, Suzanne Farver, Suzy Karazik, Timothy Bingham, Ula Camastro, Gayle Goodbread, Mark Mortensen, Tyra Benoit, Elaine Wellin, Wally Juchert, OSC Earth Action, sc-cp-...@googlegroups.com
Dear people who care a whole heck of a lot,

Thanks to all who wrote emails, showed up at the City Council meeting, and made public comments in support of a toothy Climate Emergency Resolution! We did it! Our voices were heard loud and clear!

On Tuesday, January 14th the Santa Rosa City Council passed a Climate Emergency Resolution templated off the RCPA’s Resolution, but with the following additions by Councilmember Chris Rodgers (according to memory):
  • the City sets a target of zero GHG emissions by 2030, commits to tracking progress toward that goal, and publicizes that progress on an annual (or biannual) basis
  • the Climate Action Subcommittee will give consideration the List of Actions submitted by the community-led Santa Rosa Climate Emergency Resolution group
There were around ten well-considered emails in the Agenda packet in support of strong action on climate.
There were around ten speakers urging the Council to take strong action on climate.
Council chambers were packed.
I have no doubt that all councilmembers heard our voices loud and clear.
The motion was made by Councilmember Rodgers and seconded by Councilmember Oliveras and passed unanimously.
There was almost no discussion.

While we continue to show up and hold all of our electeds accountable, we also need to actively support their best efforts in all ways possible.

Again: thank you!

Pete