To address the climate crisis, state legislatures are pushing dozens of bills on soil health

Hoai-An

May 31, 2019, 7:28:15 PM5/31/19
to ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Very exciting! Both for supporting farmers and as one of our best and least expensive climate solutions (removing more carbon from the atmosphere):

Overall, in the past two legislative sessions, 250 soil health bills have been introduced in statehouses and Washington, D.C., representing a surprisingly broad momentum for what was once a fringe movement, according to a recent analysis by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS).

“In Hawaii and California, you’ll see soil health-related bills that are more focused on carbon sequestration, or name that term more frequently. The middle part of the country, you don’t see that word pop up as much—it’s more soil health, productivity, yield, related to water,” says Mike Lavender, senior manager of government affairs in UCS’s food and agriculture division. “Call it what you want. If we’re promoting healthier soil, from our perspective, that’s the bottom line.”