EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - March 21, 2019

Emerald

Mar 21, 2019, 7:24:17 AM3/21/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!

BAYER/MONSANTO
Jury Finds Monsanto’s Roundup Guilty of Causing Cancer

A Second U.S. Jury Finds That Roundup Causes Cancer

California Jury Finds Roundup Weedkiller to be 'Substantial Factor' in Causing Man's Cancer

A Second Jury Delivers Blow to Bayer/Monsanto’s Claim that Glyphosate/Roundup Is Safe
https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2019/03/a-second-jury-delivers-blow-to-monsantos-claim-that-glyphosate-roundup-is-safe/

GMOs & GLYPHOSATE
Glyphosate Herbicides Are Altering the Food Chain
It's all about the shikimate pathway, which also applies to the microbes living in your gut.

A Pesticide Distributor, an Insurance Company, a Major City, and a Scientific Study Nix Glyphosate (Roundup)
https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/2019/03/a-pesticide-distributor-an-insurance-company-a-major-city-and-a-scientific-study-nix-glyphosate-roundup/

MINING & FOSSIL FUELS
G7 fossil fuel subsidies worth $100bn a year to industry, study finds

D.C. Could Be Next to Investigate Exxon for Climate Fraud

US Government Knew Climate Risks in 1970s, National Petroleum Council Documents Show

Brazil to Open Indigenous Reserves to Mining Without Indigenous Consent
https://truthout.org/articles/brazil-to-open-indigenous-reserves-to-mining-without-indigenous-consent/

POLLUTION
Blame Wood-Burning Stoves for Winter Air Pollution and Health Threats
https://www.ecowatch.com/wood-burning-stove-pollution-2631428663.html
There are wood-burning stoves that put out no particulate matter and barely put out anything other than steam.  These superior wood stoves are also very heat efficient.  And the best choice of all is a rocket mass heater.

In 'Wake-Up Call' for Nation, Study Using Industry's Own Data Finds 9 in 10 Coal Plants Are Causing Toxic Pollution

GREEN NEW DEAL
It’s climate change that’s scary - not transforming the economy
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/transformation/it-s-climate-change-that-s-scary-not-transforming-economy/
"Conservatives have one plan for dealing with the popularity of the Green New Deal: scaring the hell out of people." Bill McKibben

The Green New Deal Is Not a Choice
https://tinyurl.com/y6a7t8ab (Common Ground)

"Please don’t let the naysayers dim our confidence in our power to step up in this do-or-die moment
." Frances Moore Lappé

WAKE UP CALL
90% of Mozambican city of Beira destroyed by Cyclone Idai

Investigation Finds Southern California Edison Power Lines Sparked Massive, Deadly Thomas Fire
https://www.ecowatch.com/california-thomas-fire-cause-2631593557.html

Climate change is killing off Earth’s little creatures

Climate study warns of vanishing safety window—here’s why
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/03/climate-change-model-warns-of-difficult-future/

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

What Laws Work Best to Cut Plastic Pollution?

Transformative Climate Action Is Possible — If Polluters Stay Away
https://truthout.org/articles/transformative-climate-action-is-possible-if-polluters-stay-away/

Can We Parent the Climate-Change Generation? Or Should They Parent Us?
With 'Ecological Foundations of Society' at Risk, Warns UN, Hope Resides in Urgent Global Action

Why Unions Must Bargain Over Climate Change

DIRECT ACTIONS
Kids and Teens Strike Against Adults’ Climate Screw-Ups

A Global Strike for Climate Change: 1.4 Million Students Walk Out of Class Demanding Action (video)

Global Climate Strike in Pictures: Millions of Students Walk Out to Demand Planetary Transformation

With Today’s #ClimateStrike, Young Activists Seize the Narrative

Sonoma County high school students organize to demand action on climate change
Great coverage by the PD (despite their notoriously low crowd estimates).

These Photos of Kids Protesting Climate Change All Over the World Will Give You Hope for the Future
Video footage of some of the largest marches including San Francisco.

New Orleans Student on Global Climate Strike: 'I Wouldn’t Be Anywhere Else'
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/03/15/new-orleans-student-global-climate-strike-schools

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
New York City Public Schools to Join ‘Meatless Mondays’ Movement
https://www.ecowatch.com/new-york-schools-meatless-mondays-2631717386.html

A Shopper’s Guide to Home Tissue Products
https://www.ecowatch.com/eco-toilet-paper-2631505027.html

The FDA Should Protect Consumers, Not a Dying Dairy Industry
https://truthout.org/articles/the-fda-should-protect-consumers-not-a-dying-dairy-industry/

Organic Farms Are Under Attack From Agribusiness, Weakened Standards
https://truthout.org/articles/organic-farms-are-under-attack-from-agribusiness-weakened-standards/

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Study: Americans Are Happy to Let Wind Turbines Be Their Neighbors
https://www.ecowatch.com/wind-turbines-americans-2632137785.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=9d2312553e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-9d2312553e-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Saturday, March 30 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol

For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com

9-10:30 Optional Work Party

11-12 Free Workshop
:
Gardening for Pollinators and Butterflies

9-12:30 Seed Library

Monday, April 15, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
We will be discussing our plans for Plastic Free July - and other stuff.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, ​April 17, 7pm
350 Sonoma Meeting
For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sonomacounty@gmail.com

Monday, April 29, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Emerald
Notetaker: Jory

Volunteer

• OSC is putting on teach-ins on April 5 (the global power elite), May 6 (plant-based eating for climate change), and July 22 (zero waste).  Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.  Download flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.