EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - January 7, 2021

Emerald

Jan 7, 2021, 10:33:27 AM1/7/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Massachusetts Legislature Sends Bipartisan Climate Bill to the Governor

The U.S. Is Building a Bike Trail That Runs Coast-to-Coast Across 12 States

Governors Pledge to Cut Transportation Pollution

China's offshore wind power efforts gain ground

US consumes more green energy than coal for first time since 1885

LOCAL REPORTS
PG&E rate hike takes effect this month as utility seeks to strengthen fire-damaged grid

City of Petaluma Consideration of a Resolution to Adopt a Climate Emergency Framework - January 11

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Mexico farm lobby blasts ban on GMO corn; organic growers welcome it
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-corn-gmo-idUSKBN2970MF

Long-Term Roundup Exposure Found to Harm Keystone Wildlife Species

Gas Stoves Could Complicate Coronavirus Infections, Experts Say

Federal Court Blocks EPA from Weakening Farmworker Protections

FOSSIL FUELS
Former Exxon CEO Lee Raymond Quits JPMorgan Board

Water Is Life
"Anyone who has followed fracking will have seen the images and reports of flammable water, the rise in cancers, chronic disease and other ailments where fracking has decimated groundwater sources. And yet, these horrors are only the end result of a process that uses astronomical amounts of water in order to frantically pull oil and gas from hard-to-reach nooks and crannies beneath our feet – as if there were no other energy sources save those that wreak such havoc."

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
From Alaska to Florida, Harmful PFAS Compounds Pollute Water at Multiple Sites in Every State

EU Bans Exporting Unsorted Plastic Waste to Poorer Countries

GREEN NEW DEAL
For a Path Forward on Climate, Let’s Learn From the Original New Deal

WAKE UP CALL
Forests to Burn
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2021-1-january-february/protect/forests-burn#.X-3o5n6KdV1.twitter
"The biomass-energy industry is a climate and environmental justice disaster."

Can Fragile Cities Cope With an Influx of Climate Migrants?

Lethal Levels of Radiation Found in Damaged Fukushima Reactor, Impacting its Shutdown

Child Labor Linked to Palm Oil in Girl Scout Cookies, Snack Brands
Support the Girl Scouts with a donation and a letter that you are not buying their cookies because they contain GMOs and palm oil.
There's no such thing as sustainable palm oil. Don't buy it.

Thousands of Ocean Fishing Boats Could Be Using Forced Labor
Don't support slave labor if you eat fish. Use our shopper's guide to help you make the best choices: https://OccupySonomaCounty.org

Temperature changes ‘affect poor more than rich’

Deep-sea ‘gold rush’: secretive plans to carve up the seabed decried
"Private mining firms and arms companies are exerting a hidden and unhealthy influence on the fate of the deep-sea bed, according to a new report highlighting the threats facing the world’s biggest intact ecosystem."

Why the hydrogen bubble could burst in Europe’s face

Rich failing to help fund poor countries' climate fight, warns UN secretary general
"Rich countries will miss a key promise they made to the poor world on the climate crisis by failing to provide the money necessary for them to cope with its effects, damaging the prospects for global action, the UN secretary general has said."

Giant Icebergs Are Headed for South Georgia Island. Scientists Are Scrambling to Catch Up

Wall Street Eyes Billions in the Colorado’s Water

Global Warming Already Baked In Will Blow Past Climate Goals, a New Study Says

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Jane Goodall: 'Change is happening. There are many ways to start moving in the right way'

A Love Letter From the Clean Energy Future
"Here's a glimpse of how we can transition entirely to renewable energy sources."

DIRECT ACTIONS
Erin Brockovich Blasts U.S. Regulation of Toxic Chemicals

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Japan’s new levitating train will travel at 311 mph between its biggest cities

Global Grasslands Now Contribute to Climate Warming, Study Finds

It's Time to Rethink What We Eat, Annual Meat Consumption Report Argues

This Start-Up Believes Seaweed Can Change the World

Our Best Food Justice Stories of 2020

Masks for cows aim to filter burps to curb greenhouse gas emissions
Feeding every cow a little piece of seaweed every day makes more sense and does the same thing.

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Coral Sanctuary Discovered off Kenyan and Tanzanian Coast

Rare Painted Bunting Draws Flocks of Birders to Maryland Park

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.