Fwd: Winter 2019 Newsletter: The Rise of Public Banking

Emerald

Jan 14, 2019, 1:56:09 AM1/14/19
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com

Our Money, Our Values, Our Bank.

Welcome to the first issue of the
Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa Newsletter!

2018 was marked by exciting growth for the public banking movement.  Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa are proud to be a part of significant strides made this past year.  We've aligned with diverse groups across the county, state, and nation, coming together to build a just economy that protects people and planet.
By informing and involving our community, this newsletter will share the latest efforts to divest from extractive and exploitative industries and reinvest in sustainability.

Stay informed with Local and State News, inspired by Education from Across the Nation, and active with Events and Supportive Actions.

We invite you to join the public banking conversation and join the movement to reverse climate change and regenerate local economies.

“We must break Wall Street’s chokehold on state finance and develop our own state bank.”   -Gavin Newsom

Establishing a Public Bank is Possible

(and we are working on making it even easier)

A recent article in the Press Democrat (linked here) highlighted the local public banking movement, which Shelly Browning became involved with 7 years ago after California paid her small business in IOUs due to state budget shortfalls. She and the Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa have worked tirelessly to educate local officials on the benefits of a bank that was owned and operated by the local government. Promoting a little-known approach to a complex industry like banking is hard work, but worth the effort.

That tireless work continues locally and is progressing at the state level. This summer, a coalition of regional public banking activities from across the state came together in San Francisco and joined forces as the California Public Banking Alliance (CPBA). This group, including a team of social justice lawyers from the Bay Area, has been hard at work to put forth a bill that will make public banking easier to understand and implement.

The Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa are grateful for the PD's coverage, and has one correction to make to the article's statement:

“...California cities will have to get approval from the state Legislature to open such an institution.”

In fact, the proposed state bill will just be making what is now a difficult, obscure process a straightforward charter application with its own requirements and classification, separate from those of commercial and retail banks.  Any public bank, however, does need approval from the state Department of Business Oversight, just like commercial banks. This will not change under the proposed legislation.

Interview with KSRO

KSRO recently interviewed Philip Beard about the ongoing efforts of Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa. He described various uses of a public bank, beyond cannabis; the roadblocks are to creating one; the potential benefits to the community; the City of Santa Rosa's stance on creating one; and the legacy of the Bank of North Dakota.  Listen here.

New Mayoral Support for Public Banking?

Newly elected mayor, Tom Schwedhelm, said in a recent Press Democrat article that he wanted to turn some attention to the city’s climate policies and was interested in a discussion of the benefits of a public bank that could underwrite local businesses, including those in the cannabis industry.  Incoming City Councilwoman Victoria Fleming said she was interested in learning more about the concept given the interest in the community.
Sounds like the start of a constructive conversation for 2019.

Voting Against Debt is Voting for Change

It is no secret that Santa Rosa is in a financial crisis, only exacerbated by post-fire rebuilding. Measure N, a housing bond, was on Santa Rosa's November 2018 ballot in an effort to address the housing and homelessness emergencies (among the biggest nationwide). The measure was defeated, reflecting a sentiment opposing continued bonded indebtedness. Two Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa, Philip Beard and Deborah Hammond, make a clear argument for a new approach in their recent Press Democrat article, Close to Home: Time for a Public Bank in Santa Rosa

Public Banking was on the Rise Last Fall

In Los Angeles, responsible and sustainable economics was on the ballot in the form of Measure B. Arguably one of the most important midterm ballot items in the country, it was ultimately defeated but received overwhelming grassroots support, and that support continues to grow. Read more about it here and here.

Study Finds Public Cannabis Bank Too Risky

For some time, those who want cannabis money safely banked and those who want to see the public banking option become a reality have been hopeful for a mutually supportive solution.

Outgoing CA Treasurer, John Chiang was so hopeful, he chaired a Cannabis Banking Working Group (CBWG) and sponsored a feasibility study.  On December 27, 2018, this study was presented to the working group.

Not surprisingly the study determined that banking, especially for a singular industry, and one that happens to be federally illegal, is risky business.

Public banking, however, is still a viable option. Cannabis never was the only reason to start a public bank- far from it.  Inequality, housing, and climate change are urgent issues requiring strategic financing solutions and have no place being stymied by fiscal fear.

The California Public Banking Alliance (CPBA) is working on a comprehensive response to the study explaining how and why we can move forward in the establishment of a public bank.  This document will be sent to Fiona Ma and published publicly and included in the next newsletter.

In the meantime, Chiang’s cannabis banking study can be found here.
Latest Public Banking Podcast Worth a Listen

People are coming for their money. That is the title of the Public Banking Institute's latest podcast, featuring the movement's thought leader Ellen Brown. Listen here.

Seattle Accomplishes Major Step Toward a Public Banking Reality

Seattle has recently completed a public banking feasibility study, and it may be the best yet. After reviewing it, Philip Beard, a longtime advocate for sustainable economics, and member of Friends of Public Bank Santa Rosa, commented:

“It’s by far the most comprehensive, sober-minded but confidently forward-looking treatment of the PB (Public Banking) concept that I’ve seen so far. It could well serve as a template for Santa Rosa’s own expanding discussion of concerns and strategies."

Due to the efforts of indigenous and environmental groups opposing fossil fuel investments, Seattle’s city council voted last year to allow their contract with Wells Fargo to expire. Subsequently, Seattle developed a socially responsible banking ordinance that would prevent the city from banking with Wall Street, which funds projects such as the Dakota Access pipeline, private prisons, and immigrant detention centers.

Seattle shares many of the concerns we have here in Sonoma County, including a housing and homelessness crisis.  Due to continued controversy over fraud and severe downgrading of the Wells Fargo's Community Reinvestment Act rating by the Department of Justice, Santa Rosa likewise decided to allow their contract with Wells Fargo to expire. Both cities have been hard pressed to find a conscientious alternative that can handle their money (approx. $400 million for Santa Rosa and $3 billion for Seattle).

For now, Santa Rosa has yet to develop a new banking ordinance.  Without a ready alternative, the city has chosen to continue with JP Morgan Chase, another one of the “Big Four.”  (Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, CitiBank, and Bank of America)

But is the change to JP Morgan Chase really offering us any change at all?  This official letter from New Economy to the New York Office of the Comptroller of the Currency illustrates the ways in which “even a satisfactory CRA rating would effectively reward the bank for its illegal, discriminatory, and abusive actions and practices.”

The lack of banks that are large enough to handle municipal accounts, and also able to reflect community values, are just part of the reason why the public banking solution is gaining support across the country.  Public banking is more than saying “no” to extractive finance.  The model is able to:

  • cut financing costs in half for public infrastructure and affordable housing development,

  • eliminate bank fees,

  • support community banks and credit unions and,

  • boost local business and job creation.

We encourage you and your family, friends, colleagues, and community partnerships to learn more about why we think public banking is a better alternative to ‘business as usual’ in managing public money.  Consider endorsing our resolution to establish a public bank here at home.  All are welcome to attend monthly meetings, which are held monthly at the Santa Rosa Peace and Justice Center on the second Saturday of the month.

The next meeting is January 12th, 2019 at 1:00pm - 3:00pm.

Let’s go forward together to envision and take action on creating the world we want to see in 2019.

A New Congressional
Wave of Support for Public Banking

Newly elected, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) will be the youngest woman to serve in Congress in the history of the United States. She has also become the vocal leader of the Green New Deal (GND), leading a new congressional wave of support for public banking to fund a plan to, among other things, transition the U.S. economy to be carbon neutral in 10 years. While the United States embarrasses itself at the Climate Summit in Poland, the GND is sparking substantial conversations at the national level about our natural limits and how to create a truly sustainable system, so that we don’t exhaust all of the earth’s resources and deprive future generations.

In an in-depth interview about opportunities and challenges of the Green New Deal, journalist Sarah Lazare of inthesetimes.com speaks with activist Kali Akuno of Climate Justice Action.

An excerpt for the highly informative, intelligent, compassionate, and visionary interview with Kali Akuno is below.  Read the whole article here.

Sarah: Among other things, the Green New Deal calls for new investment in public banking. The draft text reads, “Many will say, ‘Massive government investment! How in the world can we pay for this?’ The answer is: in the same ways that we paid for the 2008 bank bailout and extended quantitative easing programs, the same ways we paid for World War II and many other wars. The Federal Reserve can extend credit to power these projects and investments, new public banks can be created (as in WWII) to extend credit and a combination of various taxation tools (including taxes on carbon and other emissions and progressive wealth taxes) can be employed.”What do you think of this public banking component?

Kali: We are big-time supporters of public banking…..I’m excited to see it embedded in Green New Deal proposal.

When: Saturday, February 9, 1-3 PM
What: Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa Monthly Meeting
Where: Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

We will resume our regular meetings on the second Saturday of the month, from 1:00 - 3:00 pm. New members are welcome. For more information see www.publicbanksantarosa.org and www.facebook.com/publicbanksantarosa/

When: Sunday, January 27, 3:00 pm
What: Gayle McLaughlin, former mayor of Richmond will speak: Winning Richmond: How a Progressive Alliance Won City Hall and Transformed a City!
Where: Sonoma Community Center, 276 E. Napa St., Sonoma (Room 203)

Tickets: $20 -  Available at www.praxispeace.org
(Also Readers’ Books and at the door)

Click here to endorse the resolution
to establish a local public bank.

Our mailing address is:
publicban...@gmail.com

This email was sent to Eme...@OccupySonomaCounty.org
Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa · 528 Humboldt St · Santa Rosa, CA 95404-4217 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp