EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - June 28, 2018

Emerald

Jun 28, 2018, 9:14:31 AM6/28/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign

Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Good News From Antarctica: Rising Bedrock Could Save Vulnerable Ice Sheet
https://www.ecowatch.com/antarctica-bedrock-ice-sheet-2580330632.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=27d94c7ac5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-27d94c7ac5-86095421

2) Food's Environmental Impact Varies Greatly Between Producers
https://www.ecowatch.com/food-production-sustainability-2580059537.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=31a1b58bd6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-31a1b58bd6-86095421
Sierra Club: "The results show that some crops are much more sustainable than others—for instance, bananas use a lot more land than onions—but also highlight the variability across producers of the same food product. The highest-impact beef has 12 times the emissions and uses 50 times the land of the most sustainably produced beef. Sustainable tomatoes can release almost no greenhouse gases, while high-impact producers can release six kilograms of CO2 per kilogram. High-impact coffee can release 1,000 percent more greenhouse gases than sustainable coffee. The same is true for almost every commodity studied."

3) Derailed Train Spills 230,000 Gallons of Crude Into Flooded Iowa River
https://www.ecowatch.com/train-derailment-iowa-river-2581127525.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=31a1b58bd6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-31a1b58bd6-86095421

4) Texas Supreme Court Rules Cities Cannot Ban Plastic Bags
https://www.ecowatch.com/texas-plastic-bag-ban-2580367535.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=27d94c7ac5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-27d94c7ac5-86095421

5) Breaking: Sierra Club Demands Pruitt’s Emails After Only 1 Disclosed by EPA ​

https://www.ecowatch.com/pruitt-epa-emails-sierra-club-2580305817.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=27d94c7ac5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-27d94c7ac5-86095421
​Sierra Club: "With Pruitt's well-established record of ethical violations, corrupt behavior, and tight relationships with corporate polluters, it is beyond suspicious that he claims his external communications over the course of ten months are limited to a single solitary email. Are we really supposed to believe that Pruitt does not use email himself? The public deserves answers now about whether Pruitt is evading records retention laws, or if there is inappropriate political interference at some stage of the FOIA production process. It is clear that Scott Pruitt's secrecy, corruption, and total contempt for the public cannot withstand the light of day," said Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune.​
​"

6) ​
'Public Relations Nightmare' Toxic Chemical Report Finally Released by CDC
https://www.ecowatch.com/toxic-chemical-report-cdc-2579996913.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=31122e5dab-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-31122e5dab-86095421

​"The report was the most in-depth look to date at the health impacts of perfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, chemicals used in a variety of products from Teflon to carpets to fire-fighting foam that have been found in public drinking water and around military bases. The report concluded that the chemicals pose a greater risk to human health than previously thought—for one chemical, it recommends exposure limits 10 times lower than those currently set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and for another it recommends exposure limits seven times lower, according to ProPublica."​

7) #MetsUnite to Spread Climate Change Awareness as Heat Wave Season Begins
https://www.ecowatch.com/metsunite-climate-change-meteorologists-2579980205.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=31122e5dab-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-31122e5dab-86095421
Meteorologists are speaking up about climate change!

​8) World's Plastic Waste Problem Now Predicted to Reach 111 Million Metric Tonnes by 2030
https://www.ecowatch.com/plastic-waste-china-recycling-2580042463.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3f65870196-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3f65870196-86095421
"More than 8.3 billion metric tons of new plastics have been generated, distributed and discarded as of 2017. Much of that material ends up in our oceans. Every year humans send an estimated 8 million metric tons of plastic out to sea. If plastic consumption continues at this rate, we are on pace to fill oceans with more plastic than there are fish by 2050."

9) Farm Bill With Huge Giveaways to Pesticide Industry Passes House
https://www.ecowatch.com/farm-bill-passes-house-2580286425.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3f65870196-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3f65870196-86095421

10) 5 Ways to Line a Bin without Plastic Bags
https://treadingmyownpath.com/2018/06/14/line-bin-without-plastic/?utm_source=Treading+My+Own+Path+updates&utm_campaign=8ac68dbd32-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_55699d32b3-8ac68dbd32-228761553&mc_cid=8ac68dbd32&mc_eid=b45198eb05
Reusable glass straws are available for sale at Community Market and come with a little brush for cleaning.
Remember to say, "No straw, please" when you order a drink at a bar or a restaurant.

11) Stop Jordan Cove: No Fracked Gas Exports from Oregon | Dive Into Democracy
https://waterkeeper.org/stop-jordan-cove-no-fracked-gas-exports-from-oregon-dive-into-democracy/
Waterkeeper Alliance: "On May 21, Oregon’s Department of Environmental Quality and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened a 60-day public comment period for two important Clean Water Act permits for the Jordan Cove proposal. Similar gas pipelines in New York, Maryland, and Oregon have been stopped through the Clean Water Act process because of impacts to rivers, streams, and wetlands."

12)
Kinder Morgan Plans $2B Permian Gas Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/kinder-morgan-permian-pipeline-2581502479.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=81cabc5119-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-81cabc5119-86095421
AND
Oil and Gas Operations Release 60 Percent More Methane than EPA Thought, Study Finds

https://www.ecowatch.com/oil-gas-methane-emissions-2580268075.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=3f65870196-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-3f65870196-86095421
"The study, published in Science, calculated yearly methane emissions from the oil and gas industry totaling 13 million metric tons (approximately 14.3 million U.S. tons), mostly from leaks. In fact, the amount of methane leaked by these operations in 2015 had as much impact on the climate as emissions from coal-fired plants during the same year, undermining the idea that natural gas has a lower carbon footprint than coal."

13) Mumbai Becomes Largest City in India to Ban Single-Use Plastics

https://www.ecowatch.com/india-plastics-ban-2581189130.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=cd333176d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-cd333176d1-86095421
AND
Seattle's Ban on Plastic Straws, Utensils Begins July 1

https://www.ecowatch.com/seattle-plastic-straw-ban-2579730918.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=31122e5dab-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-31122e5dab-86095421
"As of July 1, 2018, food services businesses should not be providing plastic straws or utensils," Sego Jackson, the strategic advisor for Waste Prevention and Product Stewardship for Seattle Public Utilities told Q13 FOX. "What they should be providing are compostable straws or compostable utensils. But they also might be providing durables, reusables, or encouraging you to skip the straw altogether." There are roughly 5,000 eateries in the city, meaning the new ordinance could potentially make a big impact."
350.org: "Yes, yes—it can feel daunting. The climate crisis is more urgent than it's ever been. Some days we feel like we're making good progress, when we hear of countries powered by 100 percent renewable energy or a big commitment to take on fossil fuel corporations from a city like New York. But other days, it's a heavy burden knowing there's so much more that needs to be done to unseat the fossil fuel industry and move to a just, Fossil Free, renewably-powered world."

15) Clean Electric Heating Already Cost-Effective for Many
https://www.ecowatch.com/clean-electric-heating-2581218126.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=cd333176d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-cd333176d1-86095421
"The report by the nonprofit Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) finds that replacing onsite use of fossil fuels in buildings by efficient and flexible electric heating is a key component of the deep decarbonization necessary to limit global average temperature increase to 2°C.It also concludes that if our country is to reach decarbonization goals, it will require eliminating most or all of the pollution generated by the burning of fossil fuels in furnaces and water heaters, along with other measures."

16) 2,500 Forced to Flee as California Wildfire Season Heats Up

https://www.ecowatch.com/california-wildfires-summer-2018-2581218464.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=cd333176d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-cd333176d1-86095421

17) Judge Throws Out Historic Climate Liability Cases Brought by Oakland and San Francisco
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-lawsuit-oakland-san-francisco-2581428599.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=cd333176d1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-cd333176d1-86095421

18) Could Proposed Mission Statement Changes Shake NOAA’s Climate Focus?
https://www.ecowatch.com/noaa-climate-focus-2581530049.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=81cabc5119-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-81cabc5119-86095421
"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), which is the foremost U.S. agency focusing on weather, climate and oceans, reassured reporters Monday that it would not shift its focus away from climate change and conservation after a presentation last week suggested it might do exactly that, USA Today reported."

19) Tropical Forests Lost 40 Football Fields of Tree Cover Per Minute in 2017
https://www.ecowatch.com/tropical-trees-deforestation-2581736008.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=81cabc5119-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-81cabc5119-86095421

20) Starfish Make Comeback After Mysterious Melting Disease
https://www.ecowatch.com/starfish-population-disease-climate-resilience-2581473075.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=81cabc5119-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-81cabc5119-86095421
World Wildlife Fund: "Thanks to a series of conservation measures enacted by Belize's government, the Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System—one the world's most incredible, diverse ecosystems—has been removed from the UNESCO List of World Heritage in Danger sites. The historic decision came this week during a World Heritage Committee meeting in Bahrain, just five months after the Belizean government imposed a moratorium on oil exploration and drilling in all of Belize's offshore waters—a landmark piece of legislation that protected critical ecosystems and established the country as a new world leader in ocean conservation."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Sat. June 30 (the last Saturday every month)

Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communityseedexchange@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Healthy Soil for Healthy Plants
Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

July 1-31
Occupy Sonoma County is participating in Plastic Free July

Sign up at http://PlasticFreeJuly.org to be counted and participate in this international campaign

Go to our website to join our campaign

Saturday, July 14, 3-5 PM
Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock Meeting
3:00-5:00 Main Meeting (no public banking meeting)
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.solidarity@gmail.com
Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Saturday, July 14

Healdsburg River Palooza at Veteran's Memorial Beach
B-Rad Foundation, Russian Riverkeeper, & Clean River Alliance
For more information contact rrke...@sonic.net or Sign up here.

Sunday, July 15 4-7 PM - Annual Summer Gathering with the Sierra Club Sonoma Group
Potluck Picnic at the Shady Oaks picnic site, Spring Lake Park; bring food/drink to share.
Contact 544-4582 or sc...@sonic.net.

Monday, July 16, 7-9 PM

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Wednesday, July 18, 7pm
350 Sonoma

Summer social with a Zero Waste potluck
For more info go to​ Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

Monday, July 30
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!), 7-9 PM

Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
Climate activist groups and individuals working together to address and reverse climate change. We meet on months with a 5th Monday. 2018 Next Meetings: July 30, Oct. 29.
Please submit campaign proposals in advance to the SoCoCAN listserv.
For more info: (707) 595-0320 or SonomaC...@gmail.com (email preferred). Join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCAN/.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Set up help is needed prior to our teach-ins

Help with taking down tables, setting up chairs, and bringing things in from the car.

Next event is July 23 - set up at 6:00 at the PJC.

• Spanish translations or recommendation of a professional to hire

This is an ongoing but intermittent need starting with our Earth Action handout and improvements on our Spanish website.

We have one volunteer who has been doing this for us - one more volunteer is needed to take turns.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.