Meat (including fish), dairy and eggs account for 83.5% of U.S. food related GHGs

Kamal Prasad

Apr 8, 2018, 5:35:39 PM4/8/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
This is from a study just published last month: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aab0ac

Table 4 shows the summary from which the 83.5% number is obtained.

Additional info of note from the paper, "Agriculture is a key contributor to many environmental problems, including climate change, biodiversity loss and land and freshwater degradation. Repeated projection studies have shown that closing global yield gaps through sustainable intensification measures will not be sufficient to simultaneously prevent further agricultural expansion and achieve the deep emission cuts needed to meet the COP-21 Paris Agreement on combating climate change.[emphasis added]

What that means is that even if we move towards so-called sustainable methods of producing animal products, which make up 4 of the top 5 GHG contributors, we will not be able to meet our GHG reduction goals, i.e. we have to move towards foods with lower inherent GHG emissions.