Bill Gates - 60 Minutes Interview - and his new book on climate!

Hoai-An Truong

Feb 15, 2021, 4:26:40 AM2/15/21
to ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
"Provocative segment on Bill Gates and his investments in fighting climate change."

Gates calls things like cars and renewable energy sources the "low-hanging fruit, the things people everybody knows about. That's getting almost all the money, not the hard parts which is the industrial piece including steel and cement, those pieces we've hardly started to work on."

I have some reservations with some of the things he is investing in. Living as we do in earthquake country, I'm leery of nuclear energy. And the Impossible burger is GMO. But I'm very glad Bill Gates is studying climate solutions as thoroughly as he does — and investing heavily.

Bill Gates: The 2021 60 Minutes interview (13:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNKdlnoAqIs

60 Minutes Overtime:  Bill Gates says he is determined as ever to drive innovation
The co-founder of Microsoft maintains his urgency toward solving the world's most challenging problems, including COVID-19, malaria, and climate change.

Bill Gates also has a new book on climate coming out on Feb. 16 and you can pre-order it now:
How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need ($13.99)

https://books.apple.com/us/book/how-to-avoid-a-climate-disaster/id1482620783?_bbid=13126618&mt=11&id=1482620783

(I've been boycotting Amazon almost without exception for three years, even during Covid. Among other things, I got tired of hearing how they mistreat their warehouse employees. So I am including a link to buy it through Apple. It's also available on Barnes & Noble, Google Play, and Rakuten/Kobo. It's so new there are no customer reviews of it yet on Amazon. I do look at Amazon for research from time to time even though I don't buy.)

--
Sent by carrier pigeon

***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***

ALL HANDS ON DECK!
Climate Action: Do it for everyone you LOVE!

Food as Climate Action: Changing how we eat, how we farm,
and reducing food waste are some of the FASTEST and easiest
ways to REVERSE climate change.

#WeCanSolveThis (playlist - fun & interesting videos!):
The diet that helps fight climate change
 and more

Now on Netflix! KISS THE GROUND - movie based on the bestseller.
A climate solution full of hope!

Support AB 310 (coming this Spring 2021!) for a State Public Bank
to bring our money back into our communities: pandemic relief & recovery
AND climate solutions. And DEFUND the fossil fuel industry!

***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***   350ppm   ***

HS DeCarion

Feb 15, 2021, 10:00:20 AM2/15/21
to c-o...@350kitty.net, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
   Hello Hoi-An,

                     Thank you for this post and for voicing  your reservations about some of the things in
            the Bill Gates interview last night on 60 Minutes.

                              After listening to it,  I was wondering some of the same things..
              Sodium water in nuclear reactors so they don't overheat?   Doing away with vegetable
               farming?    Was the yogurt they were eating also GMO?   Offsetting his use of jet
               fuel for travel with carbon lowering investments?

                                I am also encouraged to see his involvement and interest in studying all the industrial
                 and manufacturing parts of climate change as well as the enormous
                 financial investments he's made.  The way he's bringing other investors
                on board seems hopeful.
                                 It was provocative and interesting to watch.     take care,   Hally

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Laurie-Ann Barbour

Feb 16, 2021, 1:27:24 PM2/16/21
to HS DeCarion, c-o...@350kitty.net, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
I haven’t watched the 60 Minutes interview yet. I also appreciate the awareness that Gates is bringing to the issue of climate change. But, here’s a link to a review of Gates’ book by Bill McKibben and it’s mostly critical.

Laurie-Ann Barbour
Administrative Manager
707-525-1665 x114

Pasted Graphic 1.pdf

Jorge Rebagliati

Feb 17, 2021, 7:23:36 PM2/17/21
to c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Hi everybody in the frontlines:

The power that Bill Gates has over the mainstream media and over many governments and government agencies has allowed for a generalized public view that he is a "benefactor of humanity".  What I have been finding out about him shows a totally different view of this man.

Many of you know and admire Dr. Vandana Shiva.  In the following two links you will find out what she and her organization, Navdanya International, know about the vision and deeds of Bill Gates which rather define him as an "enemy of humanity".

"We are the ones we've been waiting for"

DECLARATION: "Climate Crisis Is Already A Major Disaster"

Larry Hanson

Feb 19, 2021, 6:23:10 PM2/19/21
to Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Jorge,

I have to agree to be circumspect about the mainstream messaging of Bill Gates. What he did to control the worldwide computer operating system, he now wants to do with worldwide “health” which I don’t believe he really knows much about. I think (by past experience), he wants more control, power and wealth. If he really turns out to be a do-gooder by making decisions that don’t necessarily profit him and has a consenus of independent health/medical experts that agree, I would be pleasantly shocked. It has not been in his nature. People can change though. People can also do a con job, as we have seen time and again.

Larry

Steve Bhaerman

Feb 19, 2021, 6:34:34 PM2/19/21
to Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action

Wayne Morgenthaler

Feb 19, 2021, 7:54:48 PM2/19/21
to Steve Bhaerman, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Could we just move on.  The search terms Bill Gates and food or climate change or geo-engineering will give you reams of click-bait. Some searches no longer give you any trustworthy information -- just try "diet", "9-11 truth" or "GMO" it really is quite pointless, why would you do that? If we want to continue, could we all go back and look at the original 60 minutes piece that I would call mildly informational, entertaining but crassly promotional, (60 minutes isn't what it used to be.)

Wayne Morgen
thaler
282 Skillman, Petaluma CA 94952

Walter Alter

Feb 19, 2021, 8:11:21 PM2/19/21
to Steve Bhaerman, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Good article, Steve.  Very good.  The implications, if true, for this movement need to be addressed and factored into our interpretive frameworks.  We've seen the examples of Snowden, Assange, Manning and the many other whistleblowers revealing the inner machinations of Ruling Class' "invisible hand" machinations.  Yet, somehow, we fail to integrate their findings into our world view in a way that yields results.  Occupy Wall St. took aim at the Beast's brain, temporarily.  The globalists could only have been relieved when we lost our focus on that goal.  They do not want a mass consciousness of their methods of deception or their incremental institutionalization, with our approval, of a global police state.  "1984" and "Brave New World" were not fanciful inventions of whimsy.  Their authors knew some stuff about ARISTOCRACY and the Brahminic caste system that world ARISTOCRACY wanted to create via "fascism with a human face".  Two books that should be on our reading list that provide a solid background for slogging through the mire of conspiracy and hidden agenda.   Carrol Quigley's - "Tragedy and Hope" and John Perkins' "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man".  Many other sources of good info about debt and tyranny on Amazon and online.  Start here - www.walteralter.com/psyops.htm

BANKS
BANKERS
BANKING

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:34 PM Steve Bhaerman <swa...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Walter Alter
Artist - Heretic - Savant

Steve Bhaerman

Feb 19, 2021, 8:16:32 PM2/19/21
to Wayne Morgenthaler, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Apologies ... I sent the wrong link.  Sorry Wayne.  Here is the direct link to the Gates article:

creek shade

Feb 19, 2021, 9:51:21 PM2/19/21
to Wayne Morgenthaler, Steve Bhaerman, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Thanks so much Wayne!

I tend to agree. We’ve got so much going on here locally, so much to do, and anyway: how much can we do about the world and the powers that be? If there’s anything we can do, let’s go for it!!

If not… Well — onward!

Maya

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
                                    - Margaret Mead

Sent from Maya's iPhone
--
To reduce the volume of emails from this listserv you can switch your preferences to the Digest or Abridged mode.
With the Digest version you get up to 25 messages combined into one email where you can click on the topics you want to read.

Kamal Prasad

Feb 20, 2021, 12:45:27 PM2/20/21
to c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, Jorge Rebagliati, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
If RFK Jr had his way, children in developing nations like the one I grew up in would still be dying from preventable diseases. What of that world order in which vaccines that he demonizes don't exist?

Here's a new way of looking at something that I learned from someone with whom I disagree on over 90% of any issue. "Between Mother Teresa and Bill Gates, consider who had the larger, more positive impact on the world." I don't agree with everything Gates has done, the world is better off because of him, multiple of times more-so than Mother Teresa. We are able to communicate freely and easily, people in remote parts of the world are able to make a living and lift themselves and their families out of poverty, etc. using technologies that resulted from his work. People wouldn't be able to bitch about Bill Gates without his vision and action of 'putting a computer on every desk in every home.'

The natural reaction here would be to get defensive, perhaps citing Mother Teresa as 100% pure and good while listing all the bad things that Gates has done. I'm not saying that the good that Gates has done absolves him of the bad stuff but we need to draw a distinction between the two. I would highly recommend learning more about the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, how it is structured (did you know, for example, that the Foundation is set up in such a way that it is supposed to spend all its billions of dollars in charity within 20 years of the death of last surviving member of the couple, i.e. no long-term legacy of the Gates name), and its motivations.

Just because one is rich and trying to use their wealth to create a better world (and although they may be misguided in some aspects of it) does not automatically make them a villain. Gates pays out over $5million to offset his carbon footprint (the efficacy of buying carbon offsets are debatable but it's better than not doing so). What of RFK Jr and Vandana Shiva's carbon footprint as they travel the world peddling pseudoscience? How do they offset that?

The level of idiocracy they promote can be mindboggling and I just don't have time nor the energy to go into.

Please use critical thinking. Don't become part of the choir in an echo chamber. I can't stress this enough.

With all due respect,

Kamal

- http://blog.sciencesquare.com
- http://kamalprasad.com

'Live Long and Prosper,' as a Vulcan would say.

Do you know someone who has or is transitioning to a more compassionate and sustainable plant-based lifestyle. Share this "Welcome to the Community" video with them: https://youtu.be/xGqCRHpnMZw

Do we really need GMOs to feed a growing population, or is there another, simpler solution. https://youtu.be/-DvUbF3pqbA

Human population may be a problem but there is a bigger population problem that anyone can do something about: https://youtu.be/P85tspnn34U

--
To reduce the volume of emails from this listserv you can switch your preferences to the Digest or Abridged mode.
With the Digest version you get up to 25 messages combined into one email where you can click on the topics you want to read.
The Abridged version sends shortened messages that you can expand.
Digest version messages are plain text only and do not include attachments.
If you are sending an attachment, consider including a link for the Digest messages. If you are sending a flyer consider including a text description as well.
To access your membership preferences see the link below.
Opinions expressed might not reflect SoCoCAN! policies. Please report flaming to the admin.
To contact an admin write to sonomac...@gmail.com.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SoCoCAN!" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/climateactivists-sc/263332264.2313325.1613607808708%40mail.yahoo.com.

Connie Madden

Feb 20, 2021, 12:53:57 PM2/20/21
to Steve Bhaerman, Wayne Morgenthaler, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Glad to read this scathing report out on Gates from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
Gates' philanthropy in this instance is misdirected at best.  We all know small farms create an independent base needed for a healthy culture and planet and sounds like he's gobbling them up.  Though Gates and his fellow billionaires are needed to help heal - and I hope major philanthropy is a trend - we need to be on top of this push for GMOs, local control of resources where possible and AI.

I don't see him as the devil - but having fought GMOs for years as part of the Petaluma Grange, it's clear he's way off base in thinking these behaviors are going to bring nature back in balance; seems he's trying to override mother earth.  Will have to balance this article with others, but he's busted regarding GMOs and sounds like he harmed Africa rather than saving people.  (Would look at that again).

Another source for this view is Vandana Shiva, though she echoes Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

Being an optimist, I'd like to dream up a way  to educate our billionaires so they get attention and credit they crave while ACTUALLY benefiting the planet - so IS there a way to EDUCATE the guy so he can be both instrumental in healing and a hero in his own mind rather than moving us all in a very wrong direction?

Gates was on top of research on the pandemic, predicting it in a Ted talk and preparing some response well ahead of time and I like the foundation's effort to overcome malaria, though haven't studied up on actual results. I think of Carnegie, a nasty man I was told, who founded our libraries and gave 90% of his huge income to charities.  A good, though probably small, trend.

Bob

Feb 20, 2021, 1:21:55 PM2/20/21
to Connie Madden, Steve Bhaerman, Wayne Morgenthaler, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Following Kennedy, Jr. on anything related to science opens us up to the same damaging mischief-making authored by the range of right-wingers from repugs to Q, fostered by facebook.  Some pay attention to RFK, Jr.'s ideas because he has a huge megaphone and illustrious initials, but his advocacy runs diametrically opposed to what science tells us about vaccinations, for instance.

Like following the word of James Inhofe because he's a senator.  Would you believe what Marc Morano says is gospel?  Don't be shy.  He got his start with that Fox fellow who just, happily, died.  Gotta be scrupulous to run to ground what we believe.   Bob

Steve Bhaerman

Feb 20, 2021, 2:13:52 PM2/20/21
to Kathryn, Wayne Morgenthaler, Larry Hanson, Jorge Rebagliati, c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
I find Corbett one of the unsung independent journalists willing to take on what mainstream media is blocking out.  I find it quite ironic that most of the protest these days is coming from the right, while many progressives "blinded by science" (or what they are told is science by the mainstream) have fallen in line behind the corporate agenda.  If you are looking to find the Ralph Naders and Rachel Carsons of our time, they will be found among those like RFK, Jr. who are willing to point out the bigger picture re vaccines, and GMOs.  (Gates is in lockstep with Monsanto, by the way.)

Here is RFK, Jr.'s long and comprehensive analysis of Gates and the Gates foundation.

I don't consider Gates a "villain" but rather like the sorcerer's apprentice with "religious faith" in technology, he has no idea of the implications of what he is doing.  Advocates of "artificial intelligence" need to immerse themselves in the real intelligence of nature.  And anyone who is seeking the level of control he is -- including along with Bayer Monsanto control of the world's seeds and food supply -- needs to be checking and balanced.

Steve Bhaerman

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 9:50 AM Kathryn <truthse...@protonmail.com> wrote:
James Corbett does a fantastic investigative series on Bill Gates.

I’d be interested to hear all of your impressions on this series.

Kathryn

Jorge Rebagliati

Feb 24, 2021, 2:42:58 PM2/24/21
to c-o...@350kitty.net, HS DeCarion, Kamal Prasad, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action
Dear Kamal:

Thank you for being so open about your admiration of Bill Gates and your concerns about the worthiness of Vandana Shiva and Robert Kennedy Junior.

I believe that you are sincere about your believe that Bill Gates is a savior of humanity.  Personally, I did not know a lot about Bill Gates and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation until I got deeper into the vaccine issue and particularly since the "COVID-19 Plandemic"was launched.

Here are some articles that discuss some of the results of Bill Gates's "Ten Years of Vaccines".  You will probably not believe any of it but it will give you (and all of us) some food for thought to understand better the forces that are currently shaping our lives.