Fwd: Climate Actions by Extinction Rebellion San Francisco Bay Area

Emerald

Nov 28, 2019, 2:18:15 AM11/28/19
to Earth Action Campaign

It's time to strike.

XRSFBay LogoOccupy: see you in the streets this week!

Solidarity Action & Thanksgiving Hunger Strike

Thursday, November 28 |10:00am - 3:00pm

Since November 18, 2019, members of Extinction Rebellion Washington DC have been on strike and will continue to be so until Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the US House of Representatives, agrees to meet with them to discuss our climate crisis. We will strike in solidarity with XRDC, amplifying this action on both coasts.

Extinction Rebellion SF Bay will gather in front of Speaker Pelosi’s San Francisco office on Wednesday, November 27, noon to 1pm to rally and deliver a letter of support of the DC strikers’ actions to Pelosi’s office.

On Thanksgiving Day, members of XR SF Bay will go on a day-long hunger strike as part of the XR Global Hunger Strike. Fasting XR SFBay members will hold a vigil at Speaker Pelosi’s San Francisco house on Thanksgiving Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.. Hunger strikers will stage a die-in and "red hands procession" in front of Speaker Pelosi's house, 2640 Broadway in San Francisco. If you would like to participate in this action, please email Cynthia.

Reject Fast Fashion

November 29, 2019 | 11 AM – 12:30 PM

Westfield Mall, San Francisco

Join XR Youth SF Bay for a fast fashion protest on November 29th. On Black Friday, we must remember that 12.8 million tons of clothing are sent to landfills in the US every year. The fashion industry’s CO2 emissions are projected to increase by more than 60% to nearly 2.8 billion tons per year by 2030.

We'll sit-in outside the mall before slowly processing inside to hold a die-in.

Who: You! Us! Anyone who is concerned about the environment and their carbon footprint.

What to bring: protest signs (if you don't have them, we have some extra), comfortable clothing. Another option is to wear an outlandish outfit to make fun of fast fashion!

@xryouthus

xryouth.us

XR at the Opera
Saturday, November 30 | 1:30pm - 2pm

Sunday, Dec 1 | 1:30pm - 2pm

San Francisco Opera House: 301 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco

Join Extinction Rebellion SF Bay as we perform XR's version of the Evening Prayer from the opera Hansel and Gretel outside the Opera House. This event will take place between 1:30 PM and 2 PM, as the opera is presented inside by the SF Opera.

Wells Fargo is the season sponsor of the SF Opera. Wells Fargo is the largest financier of the fracking industry, and the second-largest financier of the fossil fuel industry in the world. This year the Royal Shakespeare Company in the UK is cutting its ties to their sponsor, BP, after school children threatened a boycott. A similar outcome in San Francisco would be one small step in combating climate chaos.

This is an open action (all are welcome!) and a festive way for families to stand up to climate chaos together as we enter the holiday season.

Please see this document for roles that are super needed! To be spectacular, this action especially needs folks to 1) hold large signs with the prayer lyrics, and 2) hold signs while wearing giant gingerbread costumes. You know you want to.

Participants with roles will report to the staging area for this event at 1 PM. If you would like to take on a role, please email Lucy. All ages welcome!

Youth-Led Climate Strike at Blackrock

Friday, December 6th | 10am - 1pm

BlackRock HQ: 400 Howard St, San Francisco, CA

The youth are leading us back to the streets! On December 6th, Youth vs. Apocalypse and other groups are organizing actions as part of the next global climate strike. In San Francisco, activists will occupy BlackRock's SF headquarters, demanding that the corporation divest from fossil fuels, the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest, and private prisons that hold migrant youth and adults. An Oakland component of this action has been postponed until January. Youth and adults are both welcome to get involved. Learn more and sign up to support the actions!

See you in the streets!

Yours in Rebellion,
The XRSFBay Team