EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - May 10, 2019

Emerald

May 10, 2019, 6:05:17 AM5/10/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

Wales was first, a few days before England. Other countries may be lining up next.

House Passes First Major Climate Bill in 10 Years
https://www.ecowatch.com/house-climate-change-bill-2636180068.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1
"The U.S. House of Representatives approved its first major climate change legislation in a decade on Thursday, Reuters reported. The Climate Action Now Act would require President Donald Trump to keep the U.S. in the Paris agreement, mandating that he outlines steps to reduce greenhouse emissions and prohibiting him from using federal funds to withdraw from the agreement. The bill passed 231 to 190, with three Republicans crossing the aisle to approve it with the Democrats. It is unlikely to pass the Senate, but the Democrats see it as a way to stake out a climate position ahead of the 2020 election and to signal to the international community that a future Democratic president would stay in the agreement, The Washington Post reported."

Amsterdam Plans to Ban All Non-Electric Vehicles by 2030

YES!!

More Than 90% of Democratic Voters Want 2020 Candidate to Make Climate Action and Medicare for All Top Priorities: Poll
https://tinyurl.com/y29h92zo

GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS

FOSSIL FUELS
UK Fracking Commissioner Admits to Deleting Correspondence With Industry

With Renewables so Competitive, Big Plans for Oil and Gas Investments Look Risky

Oil Companies Will Be Bad Investments Within Five Years, Survey Predicts

Bank of America Continues to Prop Up the Fossil Fuel Industry
https://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ca%2Br88s%2FTz3EwU5Ika%2BcqH%2Bjb0Ft0neQ

PLASTIC & POLLUTION

Maine First U.S. State to Ban Styrofoam Containers

WAKE UP CALL
Secretive Fossil Fuel Lobby Group Manipulated UN Climate Programs

Human Civilization Is Under Threat. We Must Save Nature to Save Ourselves

David Attenborough, the voice of Our Planet: "Things are going to get worse"

Puerto Rican Students Show PTSD Symptoms After Hurricane Maria

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
UN Report Says Indigenous Sovereignty Could Save the Planet
"The Restore California Renewable Restaurant program, launched this month, asks restaurants that opt into the program to add a 1 percent surcharge to each customer's bill. The money collected will then go to a state fund supporting sustainable agricultural practices that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
The fee is voluntary for both customers and the restaurants, CNN reported, and the fund is administered by the California Air Resources Board."

SUSTAINABLE LIVING

'Moved and Inspired': Meet the 2019 Goldman Environmental Prize Winners

Take Action - Get Involved!

May 1-31
Occupy Sonoma County May Meat Challenge
The May Meat Challenge is an annual educational campaign about the greenhouse gas (GHG) impact of animal agriculture and conventional food production. To reduce our GHG footprint a shift to plant-based foods is essential to preventing a climate catastrophe. But for many, plant-based eating seems intimidating. The May Meat Challenge provides motivation and resources to start exploring a plant-based diet.
For more information, visit Occupy Sonoma County's May Meat Challenge page at http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/MayMeatChallenge.

Monday May 13th from 12:00 to 1:30pm

Youth Climate Action Panel

Santa Rosa Junior College, Newman Auditorium

Congressman Jared Huffman (2nd District) is a special guest on the panel
RSVP free registration: http://climate-panel-srjc.eventbrite.com

Green New Deal Town Hall
Wednesday, May 15, 6-8:30 pm, $10 - no one turned away
Sonoma County Fairgrounds, 1350 Bennett Valley Road, Santa Rosa
Inspired by Sunrise, the national climate action youth movement.
Local high school students, climate change experts, and community leaders are among the speakers, with Congressmen Jared Huffman and Mike Thompson.
Sonoma County Conservation Action, 350 Sonoma, Community Alliance with Family Farmers, Jobs with Justice, Sonoma County Indivisible, the Sonoma County Democratic Party and others.

For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sonomacounty@gmail.com

Sunday, May 19, 3:00-6:00pm, Free
Spring Social by the Sonoma County Conservation Council

Nolan Ranch, Forestville
Potluck finger foods, music, eco-fun
RSVP by May 18 to w...@sonic.net or (707) 544-4582

Monday, May 20, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
We will be discussing our plans for Plastic Free July - and other stuff.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Saturday, May 25, 1:30 - 4:30 PM
Sonoma Solidarity With Standing Rock meeting
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa
1:30 to 3:00 PM - Public Banking meeting
3:00 to 4:30 PM - Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock admin/divestment meeting
For more info, visit:
www.sonomasolidarity.org

Saturday, May 25 (the last Saturday every month)
Community Seed Exchange
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop

9-12:30 Seed Library
For more info: communitys...@gmail.com

Monday, July 29, 7-9 PM

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: June
Notetaker: You? Please let us know if you can take notes for this meeting

Volunteer

• OSC is putting on teach-ins on May 6 (plant-based eating for climate change), and July 22 (zero waste).  Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.  Download flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• If you are an experienced builder who can help us build raised bed garden boxes please contact us.  We also need help delivering them if you have a truck.  This could be an occasional or ongoing project.  Sadly, our garden box builder is no longer with us.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.